Slowing down a FantasticVent

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby shoeman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:35 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:Ok Shoeman. It sounds and looks easy enough. I'm going to go for it as well. The resistor should be 4 ohms/10 watts. Correct? Is there anything special about the resistor or is this a standard type electronic item?

Thanks for checking this out as I think this will be a real improvement.

From what I've seen in my experiments anything between 4 and 10 ohms in a 10watt resistor will work fine. I'm no electronics expert, but I think all resistors of this rating are pretty much the same..a big ceramic cased piece like in my picture. As jeep_bluetj said, be sure to offset it from the fan motor framework so it hangs in the airstream created by the fan itself. It does get warm in operation but the fan is sufficient to cool it as it runs much as the stock factory speed controller is. That's what got me thinking about this when I pulled the lower face off the fan assembly to see how it was wired. It is simply a fancier version of what this mod is.
Glad I could help everyone. It makes up for all the help I've received from you all in building my project.

Geoff
99% of the way done with a Generic Benroy. Only because these might never be done if you like to tinker. But it's on the road!
shoeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:40 pm

well, radio shack only had a 10 watt 10 ohm, so that's what I got... I have a bunch of 10 watt, 5 ohm coming in the mail, but couldn't wait... if it is a problem, I'll swap it out later.

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/ProductPage.asp?maincat=RE&subcat=REG
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:45 am

I assume that 10 watt is the max the resistor can handle, and 5 ohms is the resistance of the resistor.....

with my 10 watt/10 ohm, it gets quite hot......

Would it (the resistor) run cooler with a 20 or 30 watt/ 5 ohm resistor?

Does the wattage of a resistor have anything to do with its current draw, or is it just the max it can handle?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Joe G » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 am

Arne wrote:I assume that 10 watt is the max the resistor can handle, and 5 ohms is the resistance of the resistor.....

You are correct.

with my 10 watt/10 ohm, it gets quite hot......Would it (the resistor) run cooler with a 20 or 30 watt/ 5 ohm resistor?

A lower ohm value resistor will actually run hotter (or at least heat up faster) because it allows more current to pass through it. A higher wattage rating on the resistor means it has a greater capacity for dissipating heat. So, I guess the answer is...maybe.

Does the wattage of a resistor have anything to do with its current draw, or is it just the max it can handle?

Just the max it can handle.

If you do a search on Mouser.com for "wire wound resistor" you'll find a huge selection for fairly reasonable prices. Personally I liked these. A 10 watt 5-ohm resistor with an aluminum heat sink is about $2.50.

Disclaimer: These are only my opinions and If I am incorrect in any way, I'm sure I'll be corrected and possibly even ridiculed in short order.

Joe G.
Joe G
500 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 am

After feeling how hot the resistor got, I started thinking heat sink.... was wondering about aluminum foil.... still working on that one. may try to fashion something out of aluminum flashing (but not touching the wires).

Thank you for the information... and I really like the looks of those resistors with the heat sinks on them.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby shoeman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 am

Arne wrote:I assume that 10 watt is the max the resistor can handle, and 5 ohms is the resistance of the resistor.....

with my 10 watt/10 ohm, it gets quite hot......

Would it (the resistor) run cooler with a 20 or 30 watt/ 5 ohm resistor?

The heat dissipation is why it is important to hang it out in the airflow of the fan. That should be enough on it's own to keep things safe. If you look at the fan housing and get brave enough to take it partially apart you'll see that the factory has designed it to duct airflow over the speed switch internals for just this reason.
99% of the way done with a Generic Benroy. Only because these might never be done if you like to tinker. But it's on the road!
shoeman
Teardrop Master

hello

Postby painterman » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:11 pm

mr shoeman hello to a nother mainer e-mail me at [email protected] if you would please
painterman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Toytaco2 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:36 pm

OK, check this out! I emailed Fantastic Vent's tech department last Thursday asking about slowing the fan down and if they had the appropriate resistor available. Less than 2 hours later I got a reply saying they would be shipping me a new fan motor with the resistor and instructions on how to do the install all at no charge. They also sent a prepaid shipping label to use in returning my fan motor. Today, UPS delivered the package to my front door.

I'd say that is just about as good as customer service can get. Hooray for Fantastic Vents!!!

Mike

:applause:
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby planovet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:OK, check this out! I emailed Fantastic Vent's tech department last Thursday asking about slowing the fan down and if they had the appropriate resistor available. Less than 2 hours later I got a reply saying they would be shipping me a new fan motor with the resistor and instructions on how to do the install all at no charge. They also sent a prepaid shipping label to use in returning my fan motor. Today, UPS delivered the package to my front door.

That's great! What is their email addy and what exactly did you say to get this great deal??

I couldn't resist (pun intended):

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

PWM

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:22 am

Resisters generate heat=lost energy. PWM is the way to go. Here is a site with pre built modules (up to 30 amps!). More than a resistor, but a much more elegant solution. I've got an electric radiator fan (garage sale for a buck). Even with the real expensive 30 amp controller, it might be a cheaper and more versatile alternative to a ready made fan.

Here are links to two kit suppliers. I'm sure there are more.

http://www.bobhobby.com/store/dcmotorco ... LX033.html

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/compl ... ck1400.htm

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Re: PWM

Postby Larwyn » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:16 am

eamarquardt wrote:Resisters generate heat=lost energy. PWM is the way to go. Here is a site with pre built modules (up to 30 amps!). More than a resistor, but a much more elegant solution. I've got an electric radiator fan (garage sale for a buck). Even with the real expensive 30 amp controller, it might be a cheaper and more versatile alternative to a ready made fan.

Here are links to two kit suppliers. I'm sure there are more.

http://www.bobhobby.com/store/dcmotorco ... LX033.html

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/compl ... ck1400.htm

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Gus

From the looks of the heat sinks on those two power supplies that you linked, I'd say the designer expected a bit of heat involved with that option also..... :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

heat sinks

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am

I'd agree. But it's got to be better than a simple resistor plus it's variable versus a fixed reduction in speed. During a trial to reduce pain that I experience I had some electrodes implanted in my neck and or or near the spine (as I recall). I could shock myself at will to fool the nerves into stop sending pain messages (or something). Didn't work! But the doctor thought it was an elegant solution none the less. Thus I think PWM is more "elegant" than a resistor.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:33 pm

I originally put in a 10 watt/10 ohm resistor..... I got a couple of 10w/5o by email and will stick one of them in...

This is a minor problem that doesn't require a NASA type resolution... if a simple resistor will do the job, then, that's what it is getting....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby planovet » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Arne wrote:I got a couple of 10w/5o by email

They sent them to you via email?? What will they think of next!
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:10 pm

Planovet,

I got the email address to their Tech Department through the link on their web site. In my email to Fantastic Vent, I just told them I was installing a new Fantastic Vent in a custom made teardrop trailer and that I had heard it was possible to slow the fan down using a resistor. I then went on to ask them if they had the appropriate resistors available and, if so, what the cost would be. I also gave them my name, address and telephone No.

That's all I told them and they responded within 2 hours. They shipped the motor and resistor without further communications. I will check it out this weekend to make sure everything is "good to go" before I return my original motor to them. .

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets