Apple "cobbler" for DO

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Apple "cobbler" for DO

Postby vrooom3440 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:11 pm

Everybody has done a dump cake in a DO... maybe you have done this one or seen it already.

My favorite is the peach because it is just too easy. I have also done cherry/chocolate. But the scouts threw me a curve when they asked for a third cobbler at summer camp last year... what to do? what to do? :thinking:

Somebody suggested apple. Sounds good but you cannot buy canned apples in juice like you can peaches and cherries. But necessity is the mother on invention so here is what I came up with:

Using 12" DO:
8-10 fresh apples cut up into ~1/4" slices unpeeled (I used Fuji)
Some amount of apple juice so about 2/3 of apples are swimming.
Sprinkle liberally with cinammon.
Dump spice cake mix over apples, do not mix just level.
Apply about 1/2 cube of butter over top in pats.
Sprinkle MORE cinammon.

Close'r up and cook for 30-45 minutes like any other dump cobbler. Good stuff :R [/i]
vrooom3440
Teardrop Builder

Re: Apple "cobbler" for DO

Postby Kevin A » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:30 am

vrooom3440 wrote:Everybody has done a dump cake in a DO... maybe you have done this one or seen it already.

My favorite is the peach because it is just too easy. I have also done cherry/chocolate. But the scouts threw me a curve when they asked for a third cobbler at summer camp last year... what to do? what to do? :thinking:

Somebody suggested apple. Sounds good but you cannot buy canned apples in juice like you can peaches and cherries. But necessity is the mother on invention so here is what I came up with:

Using 12" DO:
8-10 fresh apples cut up into ~1/4" slices unpeeled (I used Fuji)
Some amount of apple juice so about 2/3 of apples are swimming.
Sprinkle liberally with cinammon.
Dump spice cake mix over apples, do not mix just level.
Apply about 1/2 cube of butter over top in pats.
Sprinkle MORE cinammon.

Close'r up and cook for 30-45 minutes like any other dump cobbler. Good stuff :R [/i]

I've used it numerous times for DO dump cakes. :thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Eunice » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:24 am

I'm with Kevin, I use apple pie filling all the time. I have an apple tree in the back yard so will try your recipe with fresh apples.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby vrooom3440 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:35 am

Pie filling may work... but I try to go with lower sugar content especially on the bottom. As the sugar content goes up so does the probability of scorching. Or that has been my experience.

The other factor, I believe, is that you need to create some steam to make the cake mix work. Using a fruit juice provides this steam and turns in to a flavor concentrated reduction during cooking :thumbsup:

You can probably offset the lack of water in the pie filling by dumping in a can of 7-Up or something as is done in many recipes.
vrooom3440
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Just 2 thoughts.....( Questions ! )

Parchment paper to reduce the scorch potential ?

Would it help ?

The other thought fresh apple cider in place of the apple juice ?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby chezrad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Apple Cobbler

2 cans of apple pie filling
1 box of spice cake
1 can of root beer

five pats of butter in the bottom of a greased DO
mix cake mix and root beer
half of the cake mix in the bottom of the DO
Apple pie filling (no need to get rid of the "juice" since apples are packed thick
Other half of the cake mix
Five pats of butter on top
Cinnamon to taste

9 coals on bottom
16 coals on top
(This is for a 10" deep DO)

Cheers.
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:04 pm

ROOT BEER

Old what's her name already loves this recipe and she hasn't even seen it . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:01 pm

vrooom3440 wrote:Pie filling may work... but I try to go with lower sugar content especially on the bottom. As the sugar content goes up so does the probability of scorching. Or that has been my experience.

The other factor, I believe, is that you need to create some steam to make the cake mix work. Using a fruit juice provides this steam and turns in to a flavor concentrated reduction during cooking :thumbsup:

You can probably offset the lack of water in the pie filling by dumping in a can of 7-Up or something as is done in many recipes.

Any reason you can't remove some of the thick filling and replace it with juice or pop? I tried one with cherry coke and chocolate cake mix.........Great brownies. Was a bit damper than I wanted.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby doug hodder » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:57 pm

Kevin A wrote:Image
I've used it numerous times for DO dump cakes. :thumbsup:

Blasphemy Kevin!!! Since I live up in an area known as "Apple Hill" and people drive up here all the way from the Bay area in the fall to get fresh fruit from local growers....well, I just gotta go with them. I HAVE to since the traffic is so bad from the BAPS (Bay Area Persons) I can't get to a grocery store on a weekend or anywhere for that matter, at least in the fall. In the winter I can't because they are all busy chaining up on the road! However, a twist on it, is to throw in some dried cherries (no juice) and walnuts into the mix...Just an idea. Either way...it's still camping eats and they are all great! PS Kevin...gonna try the cookie idea this weekend if I have time. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:17 am

doug hodder wrote:
Blasphemy Kevin!!! Since I live up in an area known as "Apple Hill" and people drive up here all the way from the Bay area in the fall to get fresh fruit from local growers....well, I just gotta go with them. Doug

Ya know, a guy once told me that people drive from all over just to ride on Rt. 36...on motorcycles!! Just cause everybody does it doesn't necessarily make it the best solution!!!! :lol: :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl: :laughter: :laughing1:

Just had to say it, it was the first thing that came to my mind when I read that. 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 am

Flatlanders.....what can I say! :x Rich...I'll try to get some good pics of them chaining up this winter....good for a few grins! :lol: Especially if I'm doing/ enjoying DO cobbler while they do it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:57 am

doug hodder wrote:Flatlanders.....what can I say! :x Rich...I'll try to get some good pics of them chaining up this winter....good for a few grins! :lol: Especially if I'm doing/ enjoying DO cobbler while they do it. Doug

You need to be munching on a well lit porch where they can see you good!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby vrooom3440 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:57 am

You know the traffic is bad when the local paper sends out an email news flash about bad traffic around Apple Hill area :shock:

Of prior comments... parchment paper? Dunno never used the stuff. I cook right in the iron myself :thumbsup:

And fresh apple cider? That would probably be quite good too :thumbsup:
vrooom3440
Teardrop Builder

Postby devigata » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:14 am

I make a similar dish, but use a large can of sliced peaches in heavy syrup. White cake mix over that and butter pats on top. Tastes just like the peach cobbler G'ma made!

Smash those peaches up with a potato masher.
devigata
Donating Member

Postby chezrad » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Any reason you can't remove some of the thick filling and replace it with juice or pop? I tried one with cherry coke and chocolate cake mix.........Great brownies. Was a bit damper than I wanted.

Peaches are packed in water. Drain these.
Cherries and blackberries have a thin syrup. Drain one of the two cans used.
Apples are packed in really thick syrup. Not worth the trouble to drain.

Cheers!
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2