Security & Camping alone

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby Joseph » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 am

TLC wrote:She's ready to drink ANY time of the day!

Honestly Tom - you make that sound like a BAD thing! :beer:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby starleen2 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:52 am

We went on a mission trip down to the texas coast and stayed at a church. we were in our camper out in the parking lot. The raod was pretty busy and school traffic went by constantly. i was afraid that during the night, some prankster would hook up to our camper and we would awaken somewhere down the road - after that time , I convinced myubby to keep a lock on the trailer at all time.

Mrs. Starleen2
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby TLC » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Betsey:
Thank you so much for posting that picture. Now there is no question as to which photo is real............unless you're a woman..... sticking up for another woman........ who happens to be co-director of a Tearjerker chapter........ along with guess who? BETSEY.
I'm out numbered here, I'm going back to the male dominated section!!
Tom :cry:
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby Betsey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:32 pm

TLC wrote:Betsey:
Thank you so much for posting that picture. Now there is no question as to which photo is real............unless you're a woman..... sticking up for another woman........ who happens to be co-director of a Tearjerker chapter........ along with guess who? BETSEY.
I'm out numbered here, I'm going back to the male dominated section!!
Tom :cry:

Well, Tom...Sorry to add insult to injury, but I can't take full credit for posting that picture, as it was a MAN who was partly responsible...hmmmm....I wonder who that would have been??? Anyone you know??? :roll:

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kayaklover » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 pm

:drofl: :drofl: :drofl: :drofl: Thanks Craig for the "correct" photo.
Lori
Co-Director
St. Croix Tearjerkers
kayaklover
Teardrop Master

Postby mandy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:52 pm

starleen2 wrote:We went on a mission trip down to the texas coast and stayed at a church. we were in our camper out in the parking lot. The raod was pretty busy and school traffic went by constantly. i was afraid that during the night, some prankster would hook up to our camper and we would awaken somewhere down the road - after that time , I convinced myubby to keep a lock on the trailer at all time.

Mrs. Starleen2

Thats a really good Idea Mrs S2. :thumbsup:

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Gaelen wrote:
MOKI SEAKER wrote:Beautiful puppy, is she a Healer dog, looks like the dogs they use in Montana for cattle...Jim G ;)

Jim--I'm not Andrea--but my money for the puppy's breed is on Catahoula Leopard Dog.

Sorry, it took me so long to get back on here - its been a long week!

Yep, yer money's right! She is a Catahoula and not quite a puppy at 2 yrs old.

If you want to see some more pics of other Catahoula's, here are a couple of websites.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Leopard_Dog
http://www.catahoularescue.com/

Andrea.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby fireaunt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Wow, has this subject run amuck!?! I always knew alcohol was medicinal but now it's also for security.

When I told my friends I wanted to go camping by myself they didn't think it was a good idea until I told them I was going to the thrift shop and get the biggest pair of old men's cowboy boots I could find to leave outside the door.

I will put several ideas found here into my bag of tricks - The keychain red button, itenerrary, and ID/med info.

Now Becca, the knocks didn't come with a voice? Wow, that would keep me awake. Makes me want to have a switch inside the TD to light up all 4 sides. Becca, next time don't wait to push the horn on the keychain and where was your Maggie dog during all this? Maybe a tape with a male voice saying "who's there" or a pit bull barking. And do the towels really keep the windows dark?

I'm glad you are ok.
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:24 pm

fireaunt wrote:Wow, has this subject run amuck!?! I always knew alcohol was medicinal but now it's also for security.

When I told my friends I wanted to go camping by myself they didn't think it was a good idea until I told them I was going to the thrift shop and get the biggest pair of old men's cowboy boots I could find to leave outside the door.

I will put several ideas found here into my bag of tricks - The keychain red button, itenerrary, and ID/med info.

Now Becca, the knocks didn't come with a voice? Wow, that would keep me awake. Makes me want to have a switch inside the TD to light up all 4 sides. Becca, next time don't wait to push the horn on the keychain and where was your Maggie dog during all this? Maybe a tape with a male voice saying "who's there" or a pit bull barking. And do the towels really keep the windows dark?

I'm glad you are ok.

Hi Marilyn:
No, there wasn't a voice with the knocks and like Planovet said, it could have been coons acting like coons. It did startle me and I put out the light so when I looked outside, whoever or whatever it was couldn't see me. AND, I always answer in a manly voice or say "Brian, someones' at the door", and I've done the same thing with mens boots and I've barked like a mean dog. It's amazing the things your brain comes up with when you feel threatened. I've never brought Maggie camping. She is almost 2 years old but still such a puppy. Now she would bark at everything and keep me awake, but she would also chase everything and get lost in the woods.

I am enjoying this thread and hope some of the guys will put their 2 cents worth in.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:57 pm

:lol: :lol:
I always answer in a manly voice or say "Brian, someones' at the door", and I've done the same thing with mens boots and I've barked like a mean dog

TMI-I think you might regret telling us this. ROTFLMAO!! :rofl2:

Can't wait to discuss this over a campfire and glass of wine.

Nobody would dare try to get in my TD with my Maggie in there.Image
or this other weirdo Image
Last edited by fireaunt on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby Russ in California » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:03 am

Many good tips here. Too bad women have to be more fearful than men though men are vulnerable too. Kooks don't care.
I been know to camp alone but it will tend to be some where my Land Cruiser has taken me and most wouldn't be able to follow. Still... as was once said by someone more wise than I, " ...be mindful of your surroundings..." and carry a big stick(last part was me, not that I'm more wise than myself :NC
The places that really scare me are rest stops on the interstate while traveling.
Of course, camping with mates can be more fun.
8)
12V Purist
**K.I.S.S. is my Motto, Murphy's my Guide**
"I'm a man but I can change if I have to, I guess."
Possum Lodge Prayer
Russ in California
Teardrop Master

Postby catrinka » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Greetings all, I've been away from the forum for awhile and just discovered this area.

On the subject of bear spray, a friend of mine is a female bus driver. She carries a small bottle of hair spray for self defense, something we all have around.

Love this new area, keep it going!
catrinka
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:39 pm

Russ in California wrote:Many good tips here. Too bad women have to be more fearful than men though men are vulnerable too. Kooks don't care.

8)

I saw deliverance too haven't been the same since :lol:

Hairspray Huh !

Hairspray and a butane lighter aka mini flame thrower. When I was a pup stocking the grocery on night stock we melted the plastic wrap off a large section of the toilet and paper towel stock in the paper isle messing around with this combo. It may be a bit drastic but desperate times might require desperate measures. Neither man nor beast wants singed eyebrows. :fb
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby John T » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:08 pm

I enjoy putting a lot of miles on my motorcycle and camp from the bike a lot. If, I am passing along going from point A to B I often contact the fire house and ask permission to camp behind the fire station. I have only got a “no” once, but a station a few miles away gave me the okay. They seem fine with me only being there for a short time.

I do have my permit to carry, and always do.

When I am not in a populated area I use a bear barrier around my camp site. Some time back I had another camper from a motorcycle tell me about his bear barrier sending a 2-legged visitor take off running and yelling one night. After hearing his story I purchased a bear barrier and use it.

As a kid around nine years old my mother started letting me go off camping alone for days at a time. I know many will have issues with that, but growing up in Oklahoma and being an outdoors kind of kid it was not uncommon for a few of us kids to just go exploring for days. When the other kids were not around I would go camping in spots that parents knew how to find. I learned early the dangers of wild life such as mountain lions, snakes, and such. I do have a respect for nature, but I am not fearful of it. I am however very worried about the 2-legged visitors while camping.

bear barrier
The site has a video to watch also.
Last edited by John T on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John T
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:27 pm

Wow! John! That bear barrier is really nifty!

How long do the batteries usually last and what kind are they? Are the batteries rechargable?

I would worry that a child might touch it or run into it. What precautions do they recommend for that?

Thanks for the idea/tip! :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lady Teardroppers