Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:00 am

I've always been a big fan of "family" camping gear and vintage camping items. There are a number of us on the forum that are actively involved in the restoration and gathering of these items. I guess it's part of the camping or maybe TD lifestyle/experience.

Might sound corny, but I can cook on the same stove that my grandfather and dad did when I was a kid, the same smell of the white gas and hiss. They are both gone now, but I've got the stove that we all enjoyed. For me those were great times...it cooked my first Rainbow trout!

Along those lines, I built a storage box for the lantern that I bought in my 20's, from some leftover marine mohagany. didn't really think about how old it was till I looked at the original box...it's 32 years old now! I decided it needed a special storage box. I've also collected several older lanterns dating back to the 20's as well as a number of stoves, a few shown below. I will probably build boxes for several of these lanterns also. I just think that there is beauty and joy in breaking out an 80 year old lantern and using it when camping.

Don't let any of the family stuff go by the wayside, if you can, acquire it and take care of it....there's good memories and lots of life in that equipment and if not operable, is easy to repair. Pass it on to your kids and hopefully they will to theirs! Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby planovet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:05 am

I'm jealous. Not corny at all, I wish I still had my dad's old Coleman lantern and stove. Don't know what happened to them. I miss that smell too. :cry:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 am

I could never give up my Coleman lanterns. One I bought new 32 years ago and the other was found in a garbage dump, they both work just as good as they did when new.
I've got a 3 burner stove that I acquired somewhere (where did I get that Doug??? 8) ;) ) that with just a little TLC will work like new. I really like the white gas ones better than the propane ones, they seem to be much easier to control your heat. :thumbsup:
We always camped with Coleman stuff when I was young and I just can't seem to find anything better now, guess I'll stick with it!! :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby satch » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:30 am

What I miss is my dad burning 3 sets of mantels before getting out the flashlights! :lol:
Last edited by satch on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 am

Rich....I'm with you....just say NO!!! to propane. I've camped with people up to 10K in Colo and had my stove running while they were playing around with frosted up non running propane 1# bottles. just our experience, not sure what caused it all....It shouldn't take much to get that 3 burner going....I had it running about 10 years ago, just didn't use it...glad it found a new home and will be taken care of! Happy cooking!

Satch...didn't have a mantle thing, but mom used to flip out when the stove got flooded and flamed up.... :lol: :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:41 am

doug hodder wrote:Rich....I'm with you....just say NO!!! to propane. I've camped with people up to 10K in Colo and had my stove running while they were playing around with frosted up non running propane 1# bottles. just our experience, not sure what caused it all....It shouldn't take much to get that 3 burner going....I had it running about 10 years ago, just didn't use it...glad it found a new home and will be taken care of! Happy cooking!

Satch...didn't have a mantle thing, but mom used to flip out when the stove got flooded and flamed up.... :lol: :lol: Doug

Oh yeah!! That's always good for some high volume afternoon entertainment!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As soon as I find my leftover deer hide it will be back in running order and most certainly will see it's fair share of use. I'm sure it will be a long lot of years before it gets to retire!!! :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby rainjer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:19 am

I also have a couple piece I have picked up over the years.

This is my latest piece. it is a 1965 Sears/Coleman lantern.

I am a converted white gas user. I always cooked on propane but not any more. On our trip to IRG, cooked for 13 days on my stove & never even used a gallon of gas.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:34 am

Cool Jeremy!!! What a great collection and in such nice condition!...It's fun camping with someone like you that has similar collective interests! Teardrops...they're not just a trailer...it's a camping lifestyle! Nice find on the Sears...and for those who don't know....it's a great find and collectible piece! Hey George....post a pic on your new lantern huh? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:40 am

This is what it looked like when I received it.

I took it apart, cleaned it up, repainted the tank & cage. Believe it or not, I paid more for the globe than I did for the lantern.

These are my other lanterns:

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:41 am

satch wrote:What I miss is my dad burning 3 sets of mantels before getting out the flashlights! :lol:

Sounds like a dirty or clogged generator...

Doug,
Those other two lanterns you had shipped finally showed up.
The postman tossed the package over the fence onto the patio.
They sat through a week's worth of rain before I found them. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby rainjer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:46 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Doug,
Those other two lanterns you had shipped finally showed up.
The postman tossed the package over the fence onto the patio.
They sat through a week's worth of rain before I found them. :lol:

Are they still in one piece?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:49 am

A lot of times when it will not burn correctly it is not fuel related, it is the air tube. Spiders will crawl up inside and build nests causing it not to get enough air.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:49 am

Wow Dean....I completely forgot about those! I'm bugging Cherokee Geo to put up a pic of his mint Military lantern. It's perfect for his new Jeep! I'm still looking for a great vintage stove to do a 2 tone paint job on for the Voyager.

Don't let our dialog keep the rest of you out of the loop! If you have some vintage camping gear, join in, let us all know what you have. Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:50 am

They were wet. when I picked the box up, water was pouring out. :lol:
After a quick wipe down they were fine.
I think what saved them is the sender used foam rubber for packing material... But it acted as a sponge after the rains hit. :lol:

Doug,
It's probably because we aren't going with the 200's now that you've decided the 242's are a better way to go.
BTW- I found a guy that replates founts and has a source for redoing the ceramic shades... I still want to fab up something in stainless though for a shade. We got plenty of time.
Last edited by Dean in Eureka, CA on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby rainjer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:53 am

Dean, do you have any pictures of you lanterns?

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment