Old Fishing Equipment

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby prohandyman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:49 pm

Mike
Thanks. My home office is mostly a display room for my fishing collection. Mostly fly fishing. My wife calls it a museum, and says it is my responsibility to keep it clean. I guess it is my man cave!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 pm

Nice stuff Dan!!!! WOW...I can see why the Missus wants you to keep it clean...pardon my ignorance so please educate me...What do you fish for using a mouse? Never done that. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby glider » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:43 pm

doug hodder wrote:Nice stuff Dan!!!! WOW...I can see why the Missus wants you to keep it clean...pardon my ignorance so please educate me...What do you fish for using a mouse? Never done that. Doug

I would think some toothy predator such as a Pike or maybe a Zander is going to be happy to have a mouse for lunch. I have seen pike chasing and catching ducklings on more than one occasion. By the way I think this sub is reaky going to fly :applause: great idea. :thumbsup:

Oh I nearly forgot I have Two old Mitchell 300s 8) and a 324 somewhere. Havnt seen that last one for a while . Have to do some attic mining myself :yes:

:peace: :pipe:
My friends think I am mad but my psychiatrists thinks I am a real interesting case
glider
Teardrop Advisor

Postby prohandyman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Doug
My fishing is limited to freshwater, since I am a thousand miles from salt water, so I fish for bass mostly, some pike and trout when up north, and all will take a mouse pattern in the right setting. Bass will take them almost anytime, day or night, as will pike. Large brown and bull trout will savagely strike a similated mouse pattern when cast after dark and "skitted" across the water surface. I tie a mouse pattern in my fly tying demonstrations like this one.
Dan
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks Dan....nice fly....I get it now...and here I was rigging up a computer mouse for a lure! So I could do some "phishing" :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:28 pm

I've had this kicking around since I was 12. Never used it, but allways kept it. It says it's made in England, Wilkes Osprey Brand.

Is this a fly reel, or a regular reel? :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tinksdad » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Don't know if these really qualify as "old"; but they are special to me. The top one is the first rod my Dad built for me. The bottom one is my first fly fishing rod (also built by my Dad). They are both probably only 20 - 25 years old. I had another bait casting rod that he built as well until my son closed the car door on it and kind of ruined it. Both of these have served me quite well on and in the waters of Lakes Erie and Ontario and Cattaraugus Creek. They haven't come out of the closet until today since I moved to Mississippi.

Off topic.... but this is my current hobby of choice. The bottom is a Bear Cub (60" 25# draw). The middle one is the oldest, a Bear Kodiak (64" 53# draw) and if you look real close you will notice that one was used without site pins. The top one took me to the Indoor Nationals in 1994. Custom built (66" 35# draw). With my arthritis and bursitis, I don't think I could even draw the Kodiak any more. I know they are old fashioned; but no cables and pulleys for me.

tinksdad
500 Club

Re: You asked for pics - I collect vintage fishing tackle .

Postby wanders » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:03 pm

prohandyman wrote:A few bamboo fly rods, creels, mouse flies, tackle boxes
ImageImage
ImageImage

So what rods are represented? Looks like at least one Heddon ( A weakness of mine...)

You tie a fine looking mouse! :applause:
Wally & Cathi

Director- Old Dominion Tearjerkers

Pied-A-"Tear"

wanders
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:10 pm

Anyone familiar with a (vintage) fishing pole made of steel?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mike C. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 pm

Micro469 wrote:I've had this kicking around since I was 12. Never used it, but allways kept it. It says it's made in England, Wilkes Osprey Brand.

Is this a fly reel, or a regular reel? :thinking:

John,

According to Google, that is a dry fly reel.
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby prohandyman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 pm

So what rods are represented? Looks like at least one Heddon ( A weakness of mine...)

I have a few Leonards, and an FE Thomas, and 1 Orvis, the rest are Heddons, Grangers and a Weber. Oh and a few Shakespeares also. I have too many to remember!
Anyone familiar with a (vintage) fishing pole made of steel?

Rob
There were several manufacturers of steel rods, and alot of them colasped into a short transportable rod. South Bend, Union Hardware and Horton Mfg. are just a few names. Few were fly rods, most were bait casters.
Is this a fly reel, or a regular reel?

I believe that is a fly reel, called a " Nottingham style, mahogany wood, usually from England.
Dan
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wimperdink » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:46 am

A friend posted this on my website. I always thought it was pretty cool and fits in here. he states this...

Pony wrote:The rod is not hollow.
I think it might be a "Great Lakes Whirlaway" for the 50's

Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby straightriverrat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Here's a picture of the gear I use in my kayak. It's mostly 50's and early 60's

Gary M.

straightriverrat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike C. » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:21 pm

Wimperdink wrote:A friend posted this on my website. I always thought it was pretty cool and fits in here. he states this...

Pony wrote:The rod is not hollow.
I think it might be a "Great Lakes Whirlaway" for the 50's

That is a very cool rod / reel set-up. I've never seen one like it. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Mike C. » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:23 pm

straightriverrat wrote:Here's a picture of the gear I use in my kayak. It's mostly 50's and early 60's

Gary M.

Really like the handles on the rods. Really cool pictures, thanks. :applause:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment