Carbide Lantern?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Carbide Lantern?

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:21 pm

A friend of mine called and he says he has a Carbide Lantern from the early 1900z or late 1800,s

Has anyone heard of such a Lantern by chance? Im supposed to get photos of it tomorrow. I,ll post it when I receive it.

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby apratt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Yea I have heard of them. The miners used to use them and also the early cars had carbide headlamps.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby boomboomtulum » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:35 pm

I have acouple of them. One I found years ago while exploring some old mines in Nevada, the other I purchased off of Ebay. Do a search there and you can still buy them. Dave
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:45 pm

I used to use them when caveing. The Calcium Carbide goes in one container and water in a container above that. There is a little valve that allows the water to drip down on the Carbide creating Acetylene. This is what is burnt.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Geron » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Wish I still had mine. Used them -- when younger -- spelunking.
g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:17 pm

Gerdo wrote:I used to use them when caveing. The Calcium Carbide goes in one container and water in a container above that. There is a little valve that allows the water to drip down on the Carbide creating Acetylene. This is what is burnt.

That is what my friend explained to me as to how it works but not familar with this at all.

:thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:18 pm

boomboomtulum wrote:I have acouple of them. One I found years ago while exploring some old mines in Nevada, the other I purchased off of Ebay. Do a search there and you can still buy them. Dave

I,ll check it out Ive never even seen one.

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Heikki....here's an example of the "classic" carbide lamp used by miners, the clip on the back was used to fasten it to a hard hat. As a geologist, I'm a big fan of battery lamps in this case. Fire underground is a real scary situation. I've got some safety lamps used in mining. They were used to detect shortage of oxygen, sort of like the canary in the cage type of use. In old mines, it's not uncommon to come across areas that due to decaying timbers, mineral oxidation etc...will be without oxygen. If the safety lamp goes out, chances are, your lights are going to go out soon also.

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surviva ... index.html

Here are examples of the mine safety lamps. 2 middle ones are US made the end ones are British. They are fueled with kerosene or lamp oil. I'm thinking I could load one up with some citronella oil and use it for a bug repellent lantern. They aren't made to give off a lot of light. The really early ones can be found that were hand made. I have one that I can't locate right now that is a small looking pot with a lid and a spout that a wick was draped out of, it's probably with my carbide one. About the mid 1870's. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Classic Finn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:09 pm

doug hodder wrote:Heikki....here's an example of the "classic" carbide lamp used by miners, the clip on the back was used to fasten it to a hard hat. As a geologist, I'm a big fan of battery lamps in this case. Fire underground is a real scary situation. I've got some safety lamps used in mining. They were used to detect shortage of oxygen, sort of like the canary in the cage type of use. In old mines, it's not uncommon to come across areas that due to decaying timbers, mineral oxidation etc...will be without oxygen. If the safety lamp goes out, chances are, your lights are going to go out soon also.

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/surviva ... index.html

Here are examples of the mine safety lamps. 2 middle ones are US made the end ones are British. They are fueled with kerosene or lamp oil. I'm thinking I could load one up with some citronella oil and use it for a bug repellent lantern. They aren't made to give off a lot of light. The really early ones can be found that were hand made. I have one that I can't locate right now that is a small looking pot with a lid and a spout that a wick was draped out of, it's probably with my carbide one. About the mid 1870's. Doug

Doug my friend, what dont you have or collect. :o :o Them are really neat. Fascinating.

I can hardly wait to see what my friend has. He,s sending some photos of other Lanterns now as well. One he mentioned is a Hamaq or somthing like that.

Garsh its great when I dont know much about this :?

Heikki

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby madjack » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:56 am

...we had several of them when I was a kid...we used 'em for flashlights, especially when we went "froggin'"(hunting bull frogs at nite)...the theory was that the flickering light would hold the frogs mesmerized better than a flashlite would, making them easier to catch.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby So-Cal Teardrops » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 pm

MJ - why does the image of you hunting frogs as a young'in not come as a surprise to me :D
So-Cal Teardrops
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:33 pm

So-Cal Teardrops wrote:MJ - why does the image of you hunting frogs as a young'in not come as a surprise to me :D

...frogs, snails and puppy dog tails...I dunno Gabe...must be the diction ;) ...we also set snares for rabbits, ho-made box traps for squirrels, trot lines and yo-yo's for fish...a box of matches and a little salt and pepper mixed together and we were ready for anything...growing up on the banks of a river, playing Huck Finn was a really nice way to grow up :thumbsup:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment