Thanks Mark and Rainjer!!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Thanks Mark and Rainjer!!!

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:20 pm

After seeing Marks vintage stove running and a number of PM's to both Mark and Rainjer over the last couple of weeks, I finally decided to build a fire in the Handy Chef. The generator was completely plugged with carbon, carb cleaner took care of that and a load of sludge came out, I could finally see through it. It also had no tip on the generator, I used a micro drill bit and drilled a hole in the end of the valve rod. A tough one to do since it's about 1/16" in dia. After I got the hole in, I took one of my acetylene torch cleaning tips and cut the end of it off, stuck it in the hole and crimped it. You can use a strand of heavy copper from wire, I didn't have any around. Seemed to work.

This type of stove has a little cup under the end of the generator. You need to put a little fuel in it and light it to pre-heat the system, not real user friendly. I used denatured alcohol, after the pre-heat, it fired right up...sputtered a bit, flooded, went out, flooded again etc......but finally settled down and ran. This is an 84 yr. old stove, so there is lots of life left in some of the stoves and lanterns, don't let them go by the wayside! Thanks for bugging me guys! Doug

Last edited by doug hodder on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Way cool Doug. I really like that stove. You did a great job on the restoration. I would love to see it in person.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:35 pm

I'll drag it up to the Dam! You bring down your Sears stuff! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:04 pm

doug hodder wrote:I'll drag it up to the Dam! You bring down your Sears stuff! Doug

The Sears stuff will be in the teardrop. That is why I am buying it. I really like the blue more than the green Coleman stuff.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

stove

Postby doitright » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:19 am

I got the stove from my father-in-laws shed and got it cleaned up. My stove is like yours Doug. The modle is #8 . Is yours a #4 or a #8B? I am far from getting it working but I did paint it last night. Where I live there are not many stores to buy paint. I got some black high heat paint for the inside as that was the color it was. The outside looks to be a army green or some tint. What color did you use? I got some green paint got it home and put it on and it looks too close to colman paint. Now I got a undercoat and looking for smothing closer to original color.
Kevin[/list]
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Mark72 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:48 am

Yeah! Way to go Doug! I knew you could get it goin' Needless to say I won't be making the dam gathering.(little far for me) But I do look forward to meeting you guys some day! IRG is on my list of must do's but I don't know how soon I can make it happen. Are you guys going to Minden this year?

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Stove

Postby doitright » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:57 am

Your stove looks great and it works that makes it better. Can you tell me what type of fule is to be used?
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:17 am

Kevin....I use Coleman fuel, it could be run on unleaded gasoline but will tend to crud up the generator. I used a Rustoleum paint, sage green for the box. It was originally black, but the box was in tough shape and the black would show off every little problem. It's a 4 I think, . Got Pics of yours?

Mark...probably not going to Minden this summer... Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby robert johnson » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:33 pm

WOW Doug, She's beautiful!! Now you threw down the gauntlet, I'm going to have to fire up my Auto Cook kit I've read that they are hotter than Coleman. mine is a 8B

.....Bob
robert johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Stove

Postby doitright » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:51 am

Hey everything was going great getting my stove cleaned up and painted. The box looks good even if it is a Coleman color. Then I started on the tank vinegar and 0000 steel wool. It really was looking great. Then I saw smoothing a crack in the top of the tank about 3/4 of the way across. :cry: I may try to salvage it with solder or braze it just do not know. It may better to just leave it alone and pack it up with all the other stuff never used. I was looking to use the stove but it may be a danger it if it would spring a leak . And if I do solder it will just look ugly. What a let down. As far as money sunk not much just two cans of paint $1.50 in vinegar and two steel wool pads the stove was free. Hey dose anyone have a 1924-1930 brass tank for a model 8?
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:40 am

I'd pressure up the tank and put it in a bucket of water and see if it has penetrated the tank or is just a crease in it. It can always be soldered, the ends on the tank are soldered anyway, or braze it with brass if you don't want the soldered look. If you are unsure about doing it, check with a radiator shop. Just an idea. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:49 am

doug hodder wrote:I'd pressure up the tank and put it in a bucket of water and see if it has penetrated the tank or is just a crease in it. It can always be soldered, the ends on the tank are soldered anyway, or braze it with brass if you don't want the soldered look. If you are unsure about doing it, check with a radiator shop. Just an idea. Doug

After you do your repair, you could coat the inside with POR-15.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:22 pm

rainjer wrote:
doug hodder wrote:I'd pressure up the tank and put it in a bucket of water and see if it has penetrated the tank or is just a crease in it. It can always be soldered, the ends on the tank are soldered anyway, or braze it with brass if you don't want the soldered look. If you are unsure about doing it, check with a radiator shop. Just an idea. Doug

After you do your repair, you could coat the inside with POR-15.

Jeremy

What's POR-15?

One thing about coating the inside of the tank.You are going to have to remove the brass seat at the bottom of the pump in the tank, otherwise it will get plugged up. Happened to me when I had a gas tank coated for a car. They didn't remove the filters or pump, and it got to be cheaper to junk the car than replace everything. Tells you a lot about the condition of the car, Huh......

OH WAIT!!!! I just found the Canada POR-15 wesite. The dealer is only about an hour away from me..... They got some nice products, maybe I could use the high heat enamel to repair my beatup ventilater.....

http://www.canada-por15.com/index.htm
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

tank

Postby doitright » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:22 pm

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on how to repair the tank. Also thanks for the safety precautions. If I do repair it I do not want to blow up and I am sure my wife will not let me use it without a increases of my life insurance. I just worry about the look of the tank when done if I do solder. As it is it looks as good as Doug's but once repaired I will not be able to hide the Repairs. Just a thought I could take off all the hardware patch the holes and crack then turn it over and reinstall the hardware. That way The repairs would be on the bottom.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 am

John....on tanks like these, there is no built in pump. It is an external non attached pump and the check valve is in the filler cap. I don't think the POR 15 could be used on my tank as the valve is soldered into the tank and not removable. The liquid sealer could possible seal the fuel pickup. I haven't seen a pic of Kevins tank, but on mine that's the case.

Kevin...I wouldn't worry about hiding the repairs....just gives it character and the fact that you have it running carries more weight. I've got a big crease in the end of my tank. I just polished it up to match, but the ends were pretty beat. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment