Vintage Bikes Anyone?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Mine had an enclosed drum brake on the front.
Yeap you're right... It was the yellow one that was called the Peeler.
Was thinking back on that more today and I think the green one was called the Pea Picker and I also think there was a silver one called the Grey Ghost but I may be way out in left field on that one. :?
It's only because I had the Apple Krate that I remember the other names, but I'll be damned if I can even remember there ever being a blue one and blue has always been my favorite color... :thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:50 pm

It has been suggested and widely thought that the original Orange Crate bike first of the series, was inspired by this car. I built that kit several times in the 60's...It think that Revell had much better kits than AMT, they were 1.95$ at the time. The success of the Orange Crate bike inspired a load of other similar bikes depending on the color. The red one I think was one of the first to use a candy type paint on it. Remember "Candy Colors"? Doug

http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/orange_crate.html
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Ahh Yaa... That's right.
There was an orange one also.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:09 pm

That Grey Ghost might be one of these. Check out the old skate board in one of these pictures. I use to make them that way. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:10 pm

Google is a wonderful thing.

"Six Krate colors were produced from 1968 through 1973. The model name reflects the color. Apple Krate, Cotton Picker, Grey Ghost, Lemon Peeler, Orange Krate, and Pea Picker."

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Danny...I wonder what the scoop is with that first pic you just posted. Wheels are larger, no springer front end and turned down grips on the bars for a crate bike. Is it a true "crate" or another Schwinn model? Crap....do I need a life or what? Doug :thinking:

What's funny too Danny...is that if you could do some woodworking when you were that age....we all made a skateboard or 2 for our buddies. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:26 pm

doug hodder wrote:Danny...I wonder what the scoop is with that first pic you just posted. Wheels are larger, no springer front end and turned down grips on the bars for a crate bike. Is it a true "crate" or another Schwinn model? Crap....do I need a life or what? Doug :thinking:

What's funny too Danny...is that if you could do some woodworking when you were that age....we all made a skateboard or 2 for our buddies. Doug

Doug, It's a fast back Ram's Horn, an original Schwinn. A Grey Ghost in prime condition will fetch about $25K. That one in the second one is a low number Chinese knock off. Tey go for about $2500. :D Danny
Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:29 pm

That is a Schwinn Stingray Fastback.

This This is a Ramhorn.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:36 pm

Can you believe the $$ on this stuff? What's funny too is that a number of us remember the specifics on a bicycle that's 40 years old. It must have made an impression on a lot of us. Forget lanterns....lets go find bikes!!! :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:43 pm

I had 2 1976 Red Stingrays. They went to the dump in 1988. My parents bought one for my bother & myself. His was a 24" & mine was a 20".

Like this one:

The first time I rode my Stingray I crashed into the front tire of a 1970 Mustang Mach I and flew over the hood. Neither the car, bike or myself was hurt.

Jeremy
Last edited by rainjer on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:51 pm

I never had a Sting Ray any model, but had a friend, Eric Atkinson...looked like Alfred E Neuman...he could get his up in a wheelie and go for a block on the rear wheel. Up in Alaska, as kids it was called "chicken walking" a bike. We had stupid names for stuff....a doughnut on a motorcycle....that was a "brodie", and grabbing the rear bumper on a car squatting down and sliding on your shoes on ice and snow, was called "hookey bobbing" I've heard it called "skitching" also. I'm surprised that more of us aren't dead from that stuff! Doug

Jeremy...tough ride on that Ray....no peddles!
Last edited by doug hodder on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 pm

So how did you peddle it? :lol: Danny

ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:08 pm

The pedals are hanging from the seat...

I found the picture on a web site of a guy in New York that rent vintage bikes. All of the bike had the pedals taken off. It must be for storage.

I can not count the number of time I have thought about how much I wish I had kept that bike. I also had a Huffy Springer bike.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:41 pm

The banana seat bikes were past my youth but we did buy 2 off brand ones in the early 70's to ride around the neighborhood in Pacific Beach. I rode a Schwinn Continental for many years & I hated the seat and where the gear leavers were. Crashed into several cars trying to shift the gears. Hit one car with a bunch of people in it, should have seen the look on their faces. My brother rode a Legnano (Italian) and two friends had custom built Allegro Specials (Swiss). the Allegro is the best bike I've ever ridden. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:06 am

Had a Continental also Danny, they were heavy! ...traded up to a LeTour...gave it away to a buddy when I moved from Denver. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment