Anyone like Sketchup 6.0?

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Anyone like Sketchup 6.0?

Postby fornesto » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:41 pm

I've tried it on two computers and each has a fatal bug in it that prohibits using after the first time. You open it and everything's wack. Fortunately, I've got the old version saved elsewhere.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby GregB » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Works great on the Mac Pro and Powerbook. Of course 5.0 used to seize them up from time-to-time.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:29 pm

I was just going to start a topic on this... is anyone using sketchup to draw teardrops?

I did the download, but have not gotten into it yet... but will today or tomorrow.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GregB » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:09 am

Check my album. It ain't pretty, but it's full of Sketchup stuff.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:14 pm

I upgraded to 6.0 two weeks ago. I haven't seen the bug that was described. I like the new features they put in.
It's great for sketching idea's in 3D.
For detailed drawing I use Turbocad 11.0
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Trackstriper » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:41 pm

I've been working on a drawing in sketchup 6.0. How do I go about sending a file of the drawing to the forum for critique? Does it need to be linked somehow to another website? I'm still kind of a newbie to the technical area of the internet. Thanks for your help.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:59 pm

Trackstriper wrote:I've been working on a drawing in sketchup 6.0. How do I go about sending a file of the drawing to the forum for critique? Does it need to be linked somehow to another website? I'm still kind of a newbie to the technical area of the internet. Thanks for your help.

If you want to put up the file It would need to be uploaded to a web server and then linked to it
If you want to show a snapshot of it. You just need to click File-- Export--2D graphic. and it will save it as a picture.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:08 pm

And of course, you can save pictures to your album here... Click on Help with photos up there in the menu!

Mike...

Sonetpro wrote: File-- Export--2D graphic. and it will save it as a picture.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Esteban » Mon May 28, 2007 3:02 am

I downloaded SketchUp 6 (free version) today. The training lessons are well thought out and easy to follow. It's the first time I've used a 3D design software. The potential to design with it seems impressive.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

my drawings

Postby starleen2 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:05 pm

Downloaded SketchUp 6.0 (free version). It took me about three days to learn the intricacies of the program. I had some drafting in college, but back in the days before CAD came on the scene. I did a lot of perspective drawings, so I’m really excited about the prospects. However I it must be noted that since this is freeware, we are subject to all it bugs and limitations – unless you buy the full version (with bugs included!). The download 3-d warehouse is full of objects and images. It did not take long to download some of the components for my newest drawing. Oh, BYW be sure to download the extras – there are lots more materials and components to make your heart leap.
Here are some renderings (Sorry about the small size – did not want to take up the whole screen):

Yes that is an air conditioner and TV floating in the wall – I did a cutaway to show the placements of the two in perspective to the layout of the other components.

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

I think I like it

Postby jml79 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:11 am

This is my first time using any sort of CAD, really steep curve but SketchUp seems pretty good once i wrapped my head around it's orientation towards blocks instead of lines. Here is a sample of my first work. BTW it will run under linux, this was all done under Xubuntu 8.04 and wine and a very old laptop (PIII 1000mhz)

Image[/img]
jml79
Teardrop Builder

Postby tinksdad » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:54 am

I've been using Sketchup for a couple of years. Running version 6.4.112 right now and no problems. There are a few Sketchup jpg's in the early pages of my album when I was trying to come up with a design. For real detail work, a CAD program would be essential; but for visualization and spatial configuration it works great. After I finally worked up a design that I liked, I was able to transfer the profile to a grid and then make a full size template from that.
tinksdad
500 Club

autosketch 1st, then what?

Postby bfitz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:45 pm

I downloaded Autosketch, played with it long enogh to agree with what alot of you have said...its gerat for quick visualization, but may be lacking when it comes to detailed work.

For someone on a budget, what does everyone recommend for the detail work?

Thanks,
B
bfitz
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:58 pm

For detail work I recommend Viacad 2d/3D. It's actually a very good solid modeler. And for less than $100 it shouldn't break the piggy bank.

check it out here
http://www.punchcad.com/products/viacad2d3dV6.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

punch software

Postby bfitz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Thanks Mike, for the two replies.

Can you comment about the early learning curve for the Punch product? My better half has used their Architectural Series and found it cumbersome. Their site didn't seem to give much information, other than images that prove you can draw some intricate parts.

Does the program have much in the way of tutorials? Do you have to read a 400+ page manual to get going?

Thanks,
B
bfitz
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to CAD secrets