Does sketchup have movie tutorials?

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

Does sketchup have movie tutorials?

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Just wondered if sketchup had any tutorial movies??? :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Does sketchup have movie tutorials?

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:58 pm

mikeschn wrote:Just wondered if sketchup had any tutorial movies??? :?

Mike...

They have a few mike. You can find them here:
http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... opic=13680

BYW sketch up 7 do not have the "components" any longer - they are accessed via 3-d warehouse. However, if you have version 6 or downloaded version 6 bonus packs, they can be installed in the same program folder and will be available on you hard drive for version 7 as well.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:01 pm

since I don't use sketchup you'll have to explain to me what components are.

Yes I know what components are in other cad packages, but can you explain how components worked in version 6. And any idea why they got rid of them?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Sketch up 6 had Materials, Components and Styles . Materials are paint color, textures , ground cover, carpet, wood and metal textures that you can apply to faces and edges in your model. They are applied like paint and can be edited to whatever texture or surface you want to create. They have both color and texture attributes. For example, a brick material might contain the color of red and a rough appearance or texture similar to real brick. Styles are simply rendering outlines. Components are items that were already drawn out for you such as roofs, stairs, 2x4 framing, doorknobs and the like.

The only reason I guess that the component were removed is to save on hard disk space. How ever, since they are now linked to the 3D warehouse, I suspect its goggles’ way of tracking what SketchUp users are downloading
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Since components are no longer available, is it still possible to import a file?

Lets say you had a file with an axle, another file with a wheel, and another file with a tire. Is it possible to import those three files, and position them where needed?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:41 pm

mikeschn wrote:Since components are no longer available, is it still possible to import a file?

Lets say you had a file with an axle, another file with a wheel, and another file with a tire. Is it possible to import those three files, and position them where needed?

Mike...

Yes, version 7 does not overwrite version 6 - so you can switch between the two. I have opened a file done in version 6, copied what i needed and pasted it right into position. The pro version will accept other CAD formats. I have a whole library of stuff that I built for TTT and TDs - so when i need a microwave, refrigerator, or pillow - I just go a and grab the file, copy, and paste. The cool thing about this is the paste - in -place feature in which an Item that was copied from another file is pasted in the exact place in the new file - Especially handy when placing a trailer under multiple designs
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Also this maybe helpful

SketchUp version 7 (Free version)
Import DXF, DWG and 3DS: Get a headstart on your modeling: You can import DXF, DWG and 3DS files directly into your SketchUp models, which makes it very easy to start with drawings and even other 3D models. With SketchUp, you can import image files like JPGs, TIFFs, PNGs and PDFs. You can use them by themselves (kind of like posters), but you can also stick them to surfaces to create photo-realistic models of buildings, package designs, and more.
Export TIFF, JPEG and PNG: SketchUp lets you export raster images up to 10,000 pixels square, so generating an image which you can send in an email, publish in a document, or project on a wall is as easy as choosing a few options and clicking Export.

SketchUp version 7 (Pro version)
Since I am an amature Cad person I really have no use (I.E. Don’t even know what these are)
PRO Export DXF and DWG: 2D line drawings and 3D models: Google SketchUp Pro allows you to export DXFs and DWGs, giving you an easy way to move plans, sections, elevations or even your whole model into your favorite CAD program. Exported geometry remains at 1:1 scale, and layers are preserved.
PRO Export PDF and EPS: 2D vector images : With the Pro version of Google SketchUp, you can export views of your models in PDF and EPS format, allowing you to continue to work on them in vector editing programs like Illustrator and Freehand. For 2D images that need to be resolution-independent, nothing beats exporting to these formats.
PRO Export 3DS, OBJ, XSI, FBX, VRML and DAE
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby skippidydooda » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 pm

This is Sketchup's official Youtube channel. They have a LOT of stuff on the program. I used a lot of tips from them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sketchupvideo?blend=1

This is another really good tutorial page on YouTube. Its based on the Sketchup for Dummies book, but its still very useful even if you don't have the book.

http://www.youtube.com/user/aidanchopra
Matt
skippidydooda
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bigalpha » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:16 pm

Is it just me, or does SU have this quirky problem with paint?

For example, I created a separate layer and created teh paint scheme on it. Well, when I overlay the paint scheme on top of the side of the TD, the paint does not stay a solid color.

Check out the metal plating on the front, you can see where a white triangle is visible:

It actually is very bad when I'm panning around and such.
bigalpha
Teardrop Advisor

Return to CAD secrets