MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

MyAway build - Updates for space usage & organization

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:20 pm

This trailer is being called "MyAway" because it will be my way of getting away. My requirements are:

- Fits in the garage
- Storage area for a porta-potty
- Standing room at inside (front) galley
- Light enough to be pulled by a sturdy car/small pickup

The exterior footprint/dimensions will be made as small as comfortably possible while still meeting the requirements listed above. Note: Heights are rounded to the inch.

Exterior Width & Length....: 61x100"
Plus Front Ellipse..............: 6" at widest point (teardrop wannabe?)
Travel/storage Height*.....: 76"- roof hatch down (22+48+6")
* Add 3" for non-powered vent in down position.

Inside, the planned benches can be made into two cots or a full sized (or wider) bed. Parts of the bed platforms will become counter and table surfaces during the day. The front ellipse area will be used as part of the galley cupboard storage and for the electrical.

Interior Deck Measurements.: 59x99"
Plus Front Ellipse..................: 5" at widest point
Interior Height at Peak .......: 83" - roof hatch up (48+35)
Interior Height at Galley........: 78" - roof hatch up (48+30)
.......15" from Galley........: 73" - roof hatch up (48+24.5)

My penciled sketches don't photograph and upload well; so I drew a couple approximated ones using a felt tip pen. The sketch is rough and things may vary slightly as I build; but, at least this gives you something to look at so you can see what I am attempting to build.

The deck and chassis are pretty much done but I'm building the lifting roof before I build the trailer sides so that I can be certain that this will work okay. Having a lifting roof that opens from the front and having so much of the trailer's height fold in mandated some extra design work on my part. However, I am 'borrowing as many ideas as I can from Andrew's Compact 3 lifting roof plans, in this forum's design library. (We are very fortunate that he has chosen to bring his knowledge and abilities to this forum!) I have emailed many questions to Andrew, who is always considerate, kind, and patient in his answering. It would be impossible to thank Andrew enough for his help and his gracious responses. I've got my fingers crossed and am hoping I can build well enough to make you all proud. More pictures are in the album.

Edited 01/01/10 to fix errors caused by a system conversion/ move.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 25 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:33 pm

Go Sharon Go!!!! Looks like yo are off to a flying start. Is that deck tester of the britany persuasion?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Alan Wood » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Looks pretty good to me. Hm I'll have to think about this one when I design mine.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Yes, JuneauDave, the QA tester is a little Brittany spaniel pooch. Thanks for asking. He's kind of a chubby runt and he is definitely a couch potato (not a hunter, unless you count snails and toads). But, he has a terrific personality and is a real love. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks, Alan. The fold-in of the folding sides is going to be a real test on this one. Water-proofing may be another issue; but, I think it'll be okay. We'll see.... :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Sharon,

:thumbsup: Can't wait to see how your trailer evolves, isn't it great fun? And... you are so right, Andrew is a kind and generous man who has given us so much and asks so little in return.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Thanks, Steve!

I am watching your build with more than a little envy! Your Caravan is going to be beautiful!

Is the building fun? For me, it is interesting and scary; but, I've committed myself to the project and will see it through. Envisioning a dream is one thing. Making a dream into a reality is quite another. However, I expect that realizing the dream will be my reward.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:04 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Thanks, Steve!

I am watching your build with more than a little envy! Your Caravan is going to be beautiful!

Is the building fun? For me, it is interesting and scary; but, I've committed myself to the project and will see it through. Envisioning a dream is one thing. Making a dream into a reality is quite another. However, I expect that realizing the dream will be my reward.

Yeah, I think the building is fun, but the most fun is having friends that are going through the same process and the sharing the experience.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:25 pm

:o Whoa girl! I missed it. Looks like a great start to a wonderful camper! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:35 pm

Miriam C. wrote::o Whoa girl! I missed it. Looks like a great start to a wonderful camper! :thumbsup:

Happy New Years Auntie,

This is going to be a build to watch. I always like to see something that isn't the same old generic trailer build. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:38 am

Steve_Cox wrote:
Miriam C. wrote::o Whoa girl! I missed it. Looks like a great start to a wonderful camper! :thumbsup:

Happy New Years Auntie,

This is going to be a build to watch. I always like to see something that isn't the same old generic trailer build. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Couldn't agree more and this one looks great. Happy New year to you too!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:14 am

Hi,All.

I've got the frames formed for the other folding portions and am currently de-bugging how they fit and work together. I've found 3 or 4 problems and have solved 2, maybe 3 of them. (Not worth pictures yet.) I'm taking a breather tonight and tomorrow. I'll be back on the project Friday and should have some updates by next week.

Meanwhile..... Happy New Year!!! :P
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Well, trailer-building fans, it's been a while; so, this will be a long one. As I have continued to work on the folding portions of “MyAway”, I have found a few challenges. The first of these was that, because of the folding side height and angles, even with a 5” space, the folding sides and weather stripping would not fit. Also, the corners of the folding sides were hitting the area where a window would be. Add to that, a concern that the folding front sat too far back when in the up position.

First, I worked on the weather stripping. Since there wasn’t room to attach it flat against the front of the folding sides, like Andrew had in his version, I decided to attach them to piano hinges, and hold them in place with a square-shaped bolt. I found that this would work in the ‘up’ position; but, when I folded the sides down, the test hinges would not unfold flat. That problem took a while to figure out. One day, it just came to me and it was so simple! All I needed was an extra board on the front to push the hinged weather strips out. My picture shows a mock-up, using scraps and blue tape to test my theory. I will have to wait until the skins are on to add the actual ‘pushing’ board, weather strips and hinges.

The next challenge was that because the hinged weather strips will be flat when the sides are folded in, the weather strips will stick out on an angle, past the opening. This meant adding 2 inches to the folding roof front. This was solved by replacing the first cross board with a ‘T’ shaped board.

To move the folding front forward more, the front 1x3” boards on the folding sides were replaced with 1x4” boards. This also remedied the problem of the corner of the folding sides hitting the window glass.

Because I extended the roof, there was no longer anything to stop the folding front in the proper position. Also, because I had changed the angle, there was a ¼” gap between where the roof and the folding front were supposed to meet. To remedy these two problems, I removed the top two screws and pivoted down the 1x2” folding front cross board and cut three additional boards to the size needed to fill the enlarged space. The middle one was cut so that the top fits flush with the roof (diagonal cut) and the bottom, flush (flat) with the folding front and it was attached to the roof. A small strip of trim board was added to the outside bottom of it, as a weather strip and stop. The other two were added onto the top of the folding front.

Also, I had envisioned a locking system for that center board and found casement locks to use that will lock down the roof to the folding front and hold everything tightly in place.

Having found so many challenges already, there will probably be more yet to come. So, I will continue by moving into dress rehearsal mode, adding skins and everything I can to perform a run-through to check for any more problems with my folding roof design.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Sharon,

Enjoying watching "MyAway" unfold. :applause:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks, Steve. :)

Being new to trailer building, I can't possibly be as fast as you have been nor will my build be as impressive. But, I think I'll be happy with it. It'll be enough for me.

Yours is almost done and it's lookin' good! It's almost time for its maiden voyage!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Build Journals