cad victory

Want to design your own teardrop or tiny travel trailer. You can do that in 2D or 3D. We keep our secrets in here!

cad victory

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:38 pm

...I have been wanting to aquire a cad program for awhile now and after reading some things here, I downloaded one called CADSTD that cracker 39 talked about. I have never before opened a cad program and other than being self-taught know nothing of mechanical drawing. After a couple of weeks of playing with CADSTD I produced a numbeer of drawings that have me patting myself on the back...so excuse my while I crow and showoff just a little...
this first is the Alligator Tear currently under production, it is a 4x8 tear...don't throw mud if the door appears a little off...Please

this second image is of a 5' tall by 11' long tear with a drop floor, dinette for 2 and space for a porta-potti...once again please don't throw mud as it is a work in progress

these were drawn using a 1"=1" scale
excuse me I just had to crow alittle and couldn't get out the door because my head had swollen...you cad masters please don't laugh too hard
madjack 8)

p.s. here is link to cadstd
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:50 pm

...comments are welcomed (even a little mud)........... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby milo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:40 pm

madjack, no mud throwing here. i want to build the 5 x 11. that is if i ever finish the one i'm buiding now :)
milo
always B dreamin'

Postby randy chesnutt » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:09 pm

madjack, that looking good. i believe i will give it go. i know i haven heard from you much, now i know what you have been up too. like they always say, you never know what you can do, until you do it
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby Chip » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:15 pm

Gimme a lead pencil,, pen ink and mylar,,, and of course an electric eraser,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :applause:

chipper :frustrated:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:10 pm

Hey MJ,

I'm impressed with what you could come up with on that cad program after only playing with it for a couple weeks. It looks pretty good, and certainly good enough to build from.

Congrats... but don't let that go to your head! Opps too late! :lol:

Anyways, now that you are getting the hang of it, you've got to do a couple more ideas. And don't forget to post them in your yahoo photo album. ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:26 pm

Jack,
Do you prefer the black background or just havn't figured out how to switch it yet??
I got some details of some aliminum extrusions from one of my storefront suppliers like that once. I was putting a submittal together and had to figure it out real quick. It wasn't on the same cad program as yours, but you should be able to figure it out by trial and error.
Your designs are lookin' good.
Which one are you bringing to the '06 IRG?

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:21 am

...Mike, I just started to really get the hang of it yesterday, so I will definitely be doing more...heck since that was with the freeware version, I might have to spring for the pro version...I haven't posted these in the yahoo album but they are posted in my album here...more to come I am sure.

...Dean, I do know how to switch background colors but I had started working in black first and havent tried changing it yet for real. As far as what I will be bringing...well I will just have to see what's built/available at the time...the biggun would sure be nice though...I will haveta continue working on it and see if I can come up with a weight estimation for it along with all the details

madjack 8)

here it is in a white background
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chris C » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:28 am

Wow, Madjack. That's great. You really weren't kidding when you said you were learning to use that program. I'm envious.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:15 pm

....oh man I figured out how to put dimensions in.... 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:51 pm

Very cool! 8)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Marck » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:35 pm

I think I really need to get a book on CAD.... I can't even figure out where to start.....anyone have any good suggestions of books/web sites where I can learn how to do this stuff?????

BTW MJ very nice.
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:51 pm

I have a background using AutoCad... Back in College I took a night course; it was a 40 week drafting course. We did both computer aided drafting (had to load the program into the computer from 2 floppy disks) and pencil/ink drafting.

Then I went back to school and took civil engineering technology, and used AutoCad (Release 10)..

I now have AutoCad 2005; and I went back to take a "intro" course in AutoCad. It helped alot, since I learned a lot of "shortcuts" etc... I had bought books in the past, but then your only getting the authors ideas; and 1 point of view/one way of doing things. My instructor actually works for the city planning dep't, where you need to be efficent in drawing etc...

I guess what I'm saying is the more you work with it, the better/faster you get. I hated looking at a book, copying what the author did, then realizing a faster way to do it, either on my own or from a teacher..

I still don't know how to change my background, so MADJACK's one up on me there....
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:55 pm

The best way is to take a class. Many colleges offer classes in Autocad.

If you don't want to do the class route, you could go to Turbo CAD and get their tutorials. But you'll definitely need something.

I've been off the board and on the tube for over 20 years now, and I find that TurboCad just gives me the fits. It's not easy learning a new CAD package.

I would definitely check out Cadstd...

In fact, I think I'll check it out right now...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:25 pm

Okay I've checked it out... it's simple, perhaps just a little bit too simple. It really should have a fillet command. Offset would be nice too.

I think this is a good program for someone who just needs to draw lines from gridpoint to gridpoint.

MJ, I've got to give you a lot of credit, you've taken a really simple program and done some wonderful stuff with it. I can't even come close to what you've done. :?

Mike...

mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to CAD secrets