How many Ladies own their own business?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

How many Ladies own their own business?

Postby fireaunt » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm

I have always worked for some one else but know several women business owners - big and small business'. I just wondered how many we have here among our non-traditional tear droppers. I have been going through the process of setting up an e-commerce business and I wonder why it took me so long to start my own business. I probably haven't done it very well but I am having fun trying to figure it out. Just pondering.
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:54 am

I've been dog training and have my own small business for 24 years now. It's been a great adventure.

I've decided to take advantage of a part time job I have with the Cleveland Orchestra. Years ago I began as an extra driver for them, maybe 3-5 weeks per year. Nice extra money. That has now changed into an offer for 32 weeks a year. I couldn not turn it down. The money there is too good and very steady with overtime in many of the weeks. As the economy has weakened elsewhere, including some training, this orchestra position is still strong.

So now I still offer my dog training and schedule my clients on my orchestra days off. Also with 20 free weeks there's still time for more dog training, vacations, camping and river kayaking.

The first years of dog training were lean as I built up my business and reputation. I find the current mix of the two positons working well. It's great to walk into someones home and spend an hour with their dog and it's also excting to drive for some very cool conductors and artists.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fireaunt » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am

Wow, what unique jobs. I did the same thing for 32 years and now I have 4 part time part time jobs. I think that helped me get going on my own business which will take a while to build so it's part time (ha) also. But it keeps you fresh.
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby MsDana » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Well I have my own business. Could not imagine punching a clock. Ive been doing my own thing for a long time now. I was a builder but cancer reached out and grabbed me a few years back. Im still in remission and in 2 more years they will say im healed. Anyway, life is good and I cant do real heavy work on a daily basis so now im a home inspector. I do that locally and then I do disaster work. I LOVE IT! Anyway given the state of the economy business is slow so I substitute teach at the high school, and do remodel work and small handyman (haha) work. I stay busy. 8)
MsDana
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Lady Teardroppers