My solution for carrying bikes & towing the ttt

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

My solution for carrying bikes & towing the ttt

Postby 35thAV » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:10 am

Here is what I use to haul our mountain bikes - I can handle up to 4 bikes on the rack with all the bike mounts installed. I put it together with all off-the-shelf Yakima parts.

My goal is to make the ultimate shuttle vehicle! (we especially enjoy the bumper cupholders)

<i>What do you guys use for moving your gear?</i>

1976 Westwind 13' with dual rear doors (48")Painted to match the F250 <b><i>My big little trailer!</i></b>

<b>The road takes me to the dirt, the dirt takes me to the whitewater, the whitewater takes me to the......</b>
My adventures blog:<b> http://blastshelter.blogspot.com/</b>
35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby Eunice » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:14 am

bike rack on back of tear. Need to work out a better hook-up. This bent the vent on the top with the straps.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby closurdo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:24 am

Well I don't have a teardrop but I'm still faced with some of the same problems. Since I have a fiberglass toneau cover on my truck to keep my gear dry, I built a bike rack from an old hitch mounted one. I strap it around the toneau cover with ratchet straps - very secure. This setup allows me to carry my 18 1/2' canoe and still be able to tow our travel trailer.
I should also mention that I'm able to open the cover up and prop it open even with the bikes and canoe on the truck.
closurdo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My solution for carrying bikes & towing the ttt

Postby Endo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:49 am

35thAV wrote:Here is what I use to haul our mountain bikes - I can handle up to 4 bikes on the rack with all the bike mounts installed. I put it together with all off-the-shelf Yakima parts.

Can you list all of the part numbers you used. I have an Avalanche and have considered doing the same.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby 35thAV » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Endo wrote:Can you list all of the part numbers you used. I have an Avalanche and have considered doing the same.

Here you go:

Yakima parts list:
(2) 48" round bars
(4) Q-Towers
(4) Q30 Clips
( 8 ) SRS Locksets w/ keys
(2) Raptor Bike Racks

That is all it takes. The clips are "L" shaped and slip under the bed panels. When latched, they will not move. The racks themselves are easy to use. Just place the bike in the tray and slide the bar up to the bikes main bar and clamp it down.

Or look here for more Avalanche specific info:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,94316.0/all.html
1976 Westwind 13' with dual rear doors (48")Painted to match the F250 <b><i>My big little trailer!</i></b>

<b>The road takes me to the dirt, the dirt takes me to the whitewater, the whitewater takes me to the......</b>
35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby Endo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks for the list!
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby xrover » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 pm

What about mounting/welding a 2" receiver to the rear frame of the TD and then using a conventional 2" receiver type bike rack? I would recommend recessing the receiver so you don't smack your shins on it when cooking. Heck, you could even mount one of those bumper bbq's when you get to your destination.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby 35thAV » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:50 pm

xrover wrote:What about mounting/welding a 2" receiver to the rear frame of the TD and then using a conventional 2" receiver type bike rack? I would recommend recessing the receiver so you don't smack your shins on it when cooking. Heck, you could even mount one of those bumper bbq's when you get to your destination.

That was part of my original plan when I was thinking about buying a trailer. Of course then I bought a trailer that has the door on the back!

I think that is a great idea for most the trailers out there. Plus you could uyse the same rack for the trailer or the car once you get to camp.

35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby kennyrayandersen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:06 pm

That was part of my original plan when I was thinking about buying a trailer. Of course then I bought a trailer that has the door on the back!

I think that is a great idea for most the trailers out there. Plus you could use the same rack for the trailer or the car once you get to camp.

There is also a model I've seen that mounts in the receiver, but will swing out allowing someone to open a tailgate, or door, in the case of a trailer. It would probably have a little less drag as the bike will be in the shadow of the trailer rather than up and into the airstream. It would work for me as I'm frameless.

Need to work out a better hook-up. This bent the vent on the top with the straps.

You should be able to take out all of the fore/aft and vertical load on the tear sidewalls, and actually the side-to-side load will come out on the corners of the tear if the 'arms' stay tight to the trailer. You've inspired me!
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:26 pm

I prefer to carry my bikes inside.. out of the rain.. and bug splatter.. and out of sight.. of vandals

Until gas went to $4.00 a gallon I used to have a 15 passenger Ford van for them.

We also ride tandems a lot... so the extra length was good for that.

We also carried a 21 ft tandem kayak with it.

it was a great toy hauler
Last edited by Fenlason on Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby hiker chick » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Sportsworks Transport Receiver hitch-rack (Little Guy welded on the hitch receiver when I bought the teardrop). Carries two bikes. And my teardrop hatch opens with both bikes on.

Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:28 am

Endo wrote:
35thAV wrote:Here is what I use to haul our mountain bikes - I can handle up to 4 bikes on the rack with all the bike mounts installed. I put it together with all off-the-shelf Yakima parts.

Can you list all of the part numbers you used. I have an Avalanche and have considered doing the same.

Endo.. that's a nice biking name.. 8) :lol:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby 35thAV » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 am

Endo wrote:

Here is a better pic of the setup Endo:

35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby fpoole » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 am

Yah, I was thinking the same thing and had hitch put on the back on the build..

Haven't used it yet, still trying to find the bikes in storage... maybe by summer... but the hitch is there, "Loaded and Tied, ready to ride..."
a-hem, when I dig the bike out that is....
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Endo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Fenlason wrote:Endo.. that's a nice biking name.. 8) :lol:

It is kind of funny when you think about it that way.......and I have done it a time or two!
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Next

Return to Bicycles