Powered bicycle

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Powered bicycle

Postby angib » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:39 am

I think there are a few people here interested in adding small gas engines to bicycles and I thought of you when I saw this - Ettore Bugatti designed a 'cyclemotor' power unit during WWII and, as you would expect, it's a flight of fancy - 12cc, double overhead cams, and a supercharger! With a piston of less than 1" bore, the 15,000-18,000rpm working speed doesn't seem that high......

Bugatti T72 article
Bugatti T72 gallery

Andrew 8)
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:06 am

...pretty cool Andrew...12,000rpm...I bet that would even scare the skeeters...wonder if it performs like a Veyron :D ;)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:45 am

Now that's what I call wringing out an little engine. Never has so much be done to so little :lol:

cool
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Trackstriper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Andrew,

That little engine is really cool. Reading the article reminded me of the "big bore" kits that we would install on the VW beetles back in the late 60's. Imagine going to Bugatti and ordering up the big bore kit....24mm instead of 22mm...wow, power out the wazoo!

kennyrayandersen wrote:Now that's what I call wringing out an little engine. Never has so much be done to so little :lol:

cool

I know this is a thread about bicycles so I hope you'll excuse my momentary diversion but after reading the above post I couldn't help it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYINrhTNiyM&feature=channel

Works good in HQ, full screen.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alan Wood » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Wow thanks for posting that Angib What a complex small motor.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby MidTNJasonF » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Now you are going to make me go out and buy a busted up moped and some tubing. Now the teardrop will have to wait longer while I build a salt flats ride. :lol:

If someone wanted to do a motorized bike these folks have some ideas and parts. Not sure it would be the best method but it is interesting.

http://www.shop.motorizedbikeparts.com/main.sc
MidTNJasonF
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 pm

cool :thumbsup:

thanks for sharing Andrew :D
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby mk10108 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 am

mk10108
Gold Donating Member

Postby the pvc bike guy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Thy are great but unfortunate not street legal in all states. I spoke with some folks that was stopped fined for the bike, was going over 19 mph and it had a gas motor plus no running lights, bumper, seat belt, turn singles, break light etc I no it sounds dumb but if you get one check your local laws. :fb
Smile all the time and thy will leave you alone.

More Bicycle Photos
http://push.pickensplan.com/photo/photo ... ulffolmhpk
Thanks
thepvcbikeguy.com
the pvc bike guy
Teardrop Advisor

Bike berry Motors

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:23 am

I just purchased and I'm waiting for my motor to arrive. I saw a guy on a bike with a motor and he did really good on our Pittsburgh hills and I decided I would get one. I went on a trip and felt like I would die on the return trip and realized this would get me back when I needed extra help.

http://gasbike.net/
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 am

Have not seen it for years, but there used to be a swedish bicycle with a motor mounted over the front wheel with a roller drive... tried to find it on google, but no luck... name began with an S.... will see if I can find it.. probably long out of business what with volvo and saab..

I mounted a 2 cycle engine over the back wheel when I was a kid, with a roller drive, but it got little use.. too top heavy.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby angib » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 am

Arne wrote:Have not seen it for years, but there used to be a swedish bicycle with a motor mounted over the front wheel with a roller drive...

I'm guessing that you're referring to the Sweden in France, not the one in Scandinavia....?

So it would be a Solex or VeloSolex - the moped that put the French peasants on the road. Here is Brigitte Bardot riding one 40 years ago:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Arne wrote:Have not seen it for years, but there used to be a swedish bicycle with a motor mounted over the front wheel with a roller drive... tried to find it on google, but no luck... name began with an S.... will see if I can find it.. probably long out of business what with volvo and saab..

I mounted a 2 cycle engine over the back wheel when I was a kid, with a roller drive, but it got little use.. too top heavy.

Try YOUTUBE and click 80CC engines
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby afreegreek » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 pm

angib wrote:
Arne wrote:Have not seen it for years, but there used to be a swedish bicycle with a motor mounted over the front wheel with a roller drive...

I'm guessing that you're referring to the Sweden in France, not the one in Scandinavia....?

So it would be a Solex or VeloSolex - the moped that put the French peasants on the road. Here is Brigitte Bardot riding one 40 years ago:

Andrew
*wipes drool from chin :R
afreegreek
500 Club

Return to Bicycles