What if we KNEW the world would end in 2012...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

What would people do if we KNEW the world would end in 2012?

It would bring out the best in humankind.
5%
It would bring out the worst in humankind.
29%
Both
67%

Total votes : 66

Postby caseydog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:37 pm

hotrod wrote:I dont think the world is going to end but things could drastically change for the worse in the years to come. Im usually pretty optimistic but current affairs make things look grim. My awnser? Get in touch with the big guy, live right and prepare for the worst case scenario as much as you feel like and go about your life as normal..

Um, just to be clear, this is a hypothetical scenario. Just a ""what if" exercise.

I don't buy any of the "end-times" scenarios, myself, but it is fun to imagine and contemplate "what if."

CD ;)

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:40 pm

satch wrote:Does this mean I could stop paying my taxes? :lol:

Good question!

What do you suppose would happen in respect to paying taxes, paying off debt, and that kind of thing.

Would ex-smokers take up smoking again?

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:42 pm

starleen2 wrote:I think it would be a sobering moment to know the exact time of extinction of the human species. I sure that I would want my family around to embrace each other and say our goodbyes and get ready to join each other in eternity. :(

Ah, Mr. Preacher -- do you think people would flock to religion out of FEAR? Would that be a "good" thing?

Would there be a proliferation of religious charlatans?

CD :thinking:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby satch » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:21 pm

caseydog wrote:
satch wrote:Does this mean I could stop paying my taxes? :lol:

Good question!

What do you suppose would happen in respect to paying taxes, paying off debt, and that kind of thing.

Would ex-smokers take up smoking again?

CD

Why would people? Knowing it wont matter, but then, money would be worthless anyway. I would go back to every vise I had, and start some new ones!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby greg755 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 pm

I put "best"

It would bring out the best booze, best sex.... Just kidding

I think people would be on their best behavior trying to get closer to God.

Most people when they are diagnosed with a life threatening ailment try to tie up all the loose ends, prepare their families future's and do a whole lot of things that they always wanted to do but never could.

I would imagine it would be no different on a mass scale.
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby Ivar the Red » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:45 pm

I think it's been discussed so much now...that 12/21/12 will be just like 12/31/99. There will be a lot people in a lot of trouble on 12/22/12.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Dean_A » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Put me down for both. I think each individual's nature might just be amplified, with the removal of the idea of long term consequences.

A bad person may be more inclined to do more bad, knowing that they could not face a 40-year prison sentence. A good person might be more generous with their charitable giving, knowing that they no longer had to save for retirement.

Personally it would be a load off my shoulders, knowing that I wouldn't have to worry so much about money, retirement, my business, etc. It would allow me to live more fully in the present, and appreciate each day.

In general, I do think it would bring humanity closer together, as we would all share a common destiny.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:43 pm

I think each individual's nature might just be amplified, with the removal of the idea of long term consequences.

I think Dean is on the money here! History has shown that in times of crisis we see the extremes of both good and bad behavior. Example: after a flood or hurricane, etc. we see some folks rescuing people and helping their neighbors while others are looting stores!
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 pm

:thinking: hmmm
Well it would depend greatly on how it were to end.
explode in to little bits.
a bad past president returns to office after a coo.
all people would not exsists after that point on but animal would.
polution would cause us to return to cave men and women.
Teardrops would be out lawed.

I would assume the earth were to stay, I would comfort those I knew and loved, I would try and build something that a future new beings could use to better there lives as they evolved to being what one would hope to be a better smarter, who would always care, nuture, share, and find the best of duch Oven cooking.
I would try and find a group of people who closly matched my thinking and have intelectual conversation with on how to solve the problem so it would not end.

I would do my best to help those around me who needed comfort, knowing that many will end their lives before 2012 like those who lost much on the stock market have done.

I beleave the cup is always half full and will always try and help others that is my nature. :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:50 pm

caseydog wrote:
starleen2 wrote:I think it would be a sobering moment to know the exact time of extinction of the human species. I sure that I would want my family around to embrace each other and say our goodbyes and get ready to join each other in eternity. :(

Ah, Mr. Preacher -- do you think people would flock to religion out of FEAR? Would that be a "good" thing?

Would there be a proliferation of religious charlatans?

CD :thinking:

I’m sure there be a proliferation of religious charlatans all claiming a “last chance” for eternal life. However, I think it would give everyone a sobering sense of reality. Would FEAR be the driving factor? Perhaps. Fear that one lived one’s life without meaning and having regrets– to me that’s H3LL. Inmates on Death row have an eventual date with lethal injections (at least here in Texas) and some turn to religion and others do not. I guess what I’m saying is that everyone WILL eventually die – so does your life matter – or is there a lingering fear that somehow you wasted it – no matter if the world ends on 2012
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Dixie Flyer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 pm

I voted "Both" also. Because........once the worst in humankind came out, it would take the best of humankind to straighten things out.

So the best of humankind, would kinda get rid of the worst of humankind, (cause they're causing all the trouble you know...) which would make the best no better than the worst ......maybe.........huh? :?

Damn.....I think I broke something....... :shock:............
I poked it with a stick..........
Dixie Flyer
Teardrop Master

Postby TheBizMan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:58 pm

Me, I'd take the wife, all the food and water I could pack in the truck, take my tear and head to the mountains. If everything ended, it wouldn't matter. If it didn't end, I would wait out the fight. But either way I would be Ok in my Tear.
:thumbsup:
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby skulli69 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:58 am

i said the worst, because for the most part this would be the case. now there is a smaller part that this would bring out the very best. then there is the question that if we come to the end is it the really the end if so then it all becomes a mute point. :?
Mike & Tracy

2009 Silver Shadow Highline 5X8
skulli69
Teardrop Builder

Postby Plains Ranger » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 pm

I would run around nekid wearing a cowboy hat, bolo tie, and boots. 8)
Plains Ranger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mukilteo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:35 pm

I m on a salt free diet, which really sucks. I would go out and get a bag of potatoe chips, and put on The Doors song The End to celebrate. :?
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to User Polls