Campfire Container?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon May 04, 2009 11:31 am

I just had to share this with ya'll. This morning when I got to work, my welder buddy, who works across the street, stopped me and told me he had something for me. Said his neighbor was throwing it away and he took it thinking I might like to use it when I camp. Well, it will serve two purposes...one is a contained fire pit and the other is use as a Dutch Oven stand. I thought it was a pretty cool freebie.

Dimensions are: barrel top is 22" round, plow disk is 23". Stand is 10" high but I didn't measure it around.
Plow disk part is kinda heavy.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby fpoole » Mon May 04, 2009 5:40 pm

I've got this one and love it more and more... the colder and colder it gets...
It' great, puts out good heat, but goes through propane quickly.... about a quarter 20lb (5lb?) per night but it's on full blast.

I just pour the lava rocks in and out of orange HOme Depot plastic bucket, wipe the insides down and it's clean, nice and ready to go.

A little bulky so the smaller CampInn one listed earlier would probably work fine to.

I like them, just start it up in the morning am, no fuss, no muss... and no problem on the fire bans nor snow..

It's a Camp chef.. or you can build your own although it starts to get a little pricey.. for various logs etc...
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 04, 2009 6:21 pm

Laredo wrote:you might check out grilliput if you don't mind spending a little money.
they have a nice little compact firebowl

and a grill that fits it well.

http://camping.about.com/od/campinggearreviews/gr/grilliput.htm[/list]

now, if you're basically a cheapskate like me, you can toddle down to the hardware / cooking gear store and pick up a stainless steel folding steamer basket and a cooling rack, and there you are ...

That looks like one of them stainless steel veggie steamers... :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Uh, Mike?

I'm confused. Were you agreeing with me?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 pm

I'll second the Weber Smokey Joe. Get the Smokey Joe Gold,,,

http://www.weber.com/grills/?glid=7&mid=31

It is like the smokey Joe, but no bottom holes (air comes in through vents on side that can be closed). All your ash stays inside the grill. It also has a hoop that keeps the lid on while traveling.

I have used mine many times to cook on, and then use the cooking coals to start some six-inch chunks of firewood. When you go to bed, you close it up and let the coals burn out.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm

What about the DVD's they have at Wal-Mart. Slip one in the laptop and gather round. :lol:
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KBS » Tue May 05, 2009 5:00 pm

Just use one of the tires off your teardrop. Stand back, though.

Actually, the smokey joe is a much better idea...
Karl Stevens
KBS
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mightydog » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:10 pm

caseydog wrote:I'll second the Weber Smokey Joe.

+1

We used ours at Spring Fling 09 to for cooking using our 12-inch Dutch Oven. It's also great for cooking steaks and burgers. Best yet--it closes up and the lid seals down with the wire bail. It fits in the tool box on the front of the trailer.

I think it meets your criteria.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 pm

Didn't somebody on this forum take an old propane tank and cut sections out of the sides to use as a firepit? I think they even welded legs on it to raise it off the ground. Either that or I was dreaming....... :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 05liberty » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:30 am

I have used the drum out of a washing machine ( a little big though ) truck rims ( again big ) .
In the mechanic shop where I work there are 15gal drums of grease ( for the greasing machine ) these are about 14" dia .. Thought they would be a good fire pit if you cut off the bottom third :thinking: , most garages , truck shops , construction companies etc use them and Im sure they would just give one away when they are empty !

Micro 469 , yes there was someone on the form who cut a 40lb tank for a fire pit ( can't remember who) ... When I lived in North Bay a few years back there was some one there who made BBQs , and small wood stoves out of them .. Whish I had bought one then as he is no longer there & I cannot find any one who knows who / where he is .. Would have been easy to make a double propane holder on the tongue to bring it along ..... :thinking: I just am not brave enough to cut in to a tank my self !!!! :frightened:
Dave

05liberty
Teardrop Master

Postby mandy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 am

Laredo wrote:you might check out grilliput if you don't mind spending a little money.
they have a nice little compact firebowl

and a grill that fits it well.

http://camping.about.com/od/campinggearreviews/gr/grilliput.htm[/list]

now, if you're basically a cheapskate like me, you can toddle down to the hardware / cooking gear store and pick up a stainless steel folding steamer basket and a cooling rack, and there you are ...

I got the grill part at a thrift store for 99 cents. I didn't know about the bowl part I guess I better look for one. :lol:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 am

Anything that will hold up to coals burning it will work Mandy. You got a steal of a deal on the grill part.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:35 pm

CAJUN LADY wrote:Anything that will hold up to coals burning it will work Mandy. You got a steal of a deal on the grill part.

They had no Idea what they had, good for me. :thumbsup:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Rvankeur » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:24 pm

We just picked up a "Utility Hog Feeder Pan" from Tractor Supply for under 4 bucks. SKU 2171344

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_48656_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:34 pm

Rvankeur wrote:We just picked up a "Utility Hog Feeder Pan" from Tractor Supply for under 4 bucks. SKU 2171344

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_48656_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

That's what I bought from Home Depot. I think it was about $6.00. I use it when I cook in my dutch ovens. It's a useful thing.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets