Quilt for the ice chest!?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Quilt for the ice chest!?

Postby nevadatear » Tue May 12, 2009 9:41 am

Here is my idea. After reading Steve's meanderings on the subject of making your ice last longer, I took it a bit farther. I added the foil insulation inside from the "burning man" method (I do live in the same county as burning man after all) and added a homemade outside quilt. I had some blocks and fabric left over from the quilt I made for the trailer, so I fashioned a fitted quilt for the ice chest.

My husband thinks I'm crazy, or what he actually said was he would have thought I was crazy if I had actually purchased fabric for this project instead of just using left overs. It is fitted at the back, and open in the front, lapping over the sides to keep the air in. It could have also been made as a "toaster cover" type, but I figured each time I openned the ice chest, it would be to get something out, so my hands would be full and I didn't want to have to figure out how to put the quilt back on that way. so instead it has the open front and is velcroed to the top. Our first trip out, if the trailer gets finished, is Memorial day, so we will see how it works!

Sure, you could put a sleeping bag or wet beach towel over the top to accomplish the same thing, but what would be the fun in that?

Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue May 12, 2009 10:13 am

Hey I like the idea of a cooler cozy but I am a little wierd that way.

:thumbsup:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mfkaplan » Tue May 12, 2009 10:19 am

That's a great idea! I know just limiting the number of times the ice chest gets opened helps. Use block ice, fill in with cubes. Keep the ice chest in the shade. Don't dump the melt water. I like the aluminum insulation you added also. I'm going to do that. I wonder if you could put that stuff on the underside of the quilted cover. The other thing I do is keep drinks in a smaller ice chest.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue May 12, 2009 11:47 am

Debbie, that looks great! What a good idea you came up with. You get a :thumbsup: :thumbsup: up!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Tue May 12, 2009 1:10 pm

I just saw that on the other thread. I love it too. I think you may have started a new craze. Last year it was the pet cool, this year it's the cooler cozy. :thumbsup:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue May 12, 2009 2:34 pm

That is a great idea and so beautiful!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby nevadatear » Tue May 12, 2009 2:38 pm

mfkaplan wrote:That's a great idea! I know just limiting the number of times the ice chest gets opened helps. Use block ice, fill in with cubes. Keep the ice chest in the shade. Don't dump the melt water. I like the aluminum insulation you added also. I'm going to do that. I wonder if you could put that stuff on the underside of the quilted cover. The other thing I do is keep drinks in a smaller ice chest.

Actually, I did. If you look closely at the picture with it partially lifted up, there is a piece of the foil insulation between the quilt and the ice chest. It is velcroed to both the quilt and the chest. I also thought of using "insulbrite" which is a insulating material used for potholders, which has a reflective surface, but I only had a little, and the stuff is expensive and doesn't do folds very well.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Tue May 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Debbie,

Just want to say: Way Coooooool!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed May 13, 2009 9:09 am

i throw a white beach towel over mine. the quilt is a much better ideas.

found wal-mart now sells 22 pound bags of ice...

also, the type of cooler is critical. cheap ones had thin walls and no insul in the top... marine coolers, white, are the best at an affordable price.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 13, 2009 9:45 am

Before automatic defrosting refrigerators, we used to wrap our frozen foods in towels while manually defrosting the 'frig. A tailored quilt is a great idea for the cooler! Looks pretty and is efficient, too! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lynn Coleman » Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 pm

Very nice, I'm sure it will help keep things cooler too.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

cooler

Postby tjx » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Debbie,

We made a inside cooler cover also last year for our cooler. We throw the insulation away at work so I brought some home. It works great :)
When we camp for the weekend, we usually come home with ice still in the cooler :applause:

We also made a cover for the outside out of the insulation but it is big and bulky. I like your quilt cover idea .... I may have to try that. Great winter project. :applause:

tina
tjx
Teardrop Master

Return to Lady Teardroppers