Steel Cut Oats

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

Steel Cut Oats

Postby Dagny » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:52 am

My family likes steel cut oats for breakfast. We cook in a mini-crock pot overnight. (not the candle kind, but the kind you might make a queso dip in)

1c steel cut oats
4c liquid (water, milk, combo)
1/2 cup dried or fresh fruit

Plug in, turn on warm setting, go to bed. After eating wash out crock before it dries to super glue.
Dagny
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wolfy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:33 pm

They're the BEST......I can't believe I ate that gray library-paste crapola all those years :?

The steel-cut oats remind me of Red River Cereal from Canada. As soon as we acquire some whole flax seed, I will make my own version. RRC costs us over 4 frogskins/box in the local HyVee.......that's just NUTZ :x

My beloved wife, Heather and I just went to a Whole Foods Market in Omaha a couple of weeks ago and bought steelcut oats for 99 CENTS/pound :thumbsup:

It tastes GOOD, it sticks with ya' all morning.........I'll never believe the "Old Quaker" again, when he says..."Only me is good enough, for Thee" :roll:

We fed rolled oats to our hogs as a milk replacer when I was a kid...it sucked then and it sucks now :thumbdown:

Buy those steel-cut oats and SEE the difference :worship:
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:39 pm

We like the steel cut oats here too. But we cook them in a SS pot, for 30 minutes with apples. 8)

But a baby crockpot is a good idea for camping!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tinksdad » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:48 pm

I'm always willing to try something new.

This is what I have. Will it work?? It has no settings. It's either on or off, plugged in or un-plugged. On the bottom it says 120V AC only, 50-60 Hz, 80 Watts.

I think it will hold 5 or 6 cups of ingredients, I'll have to measure. Since it's just me, I guess I could cut the recipe in half. Also, "going to be" for me is usually only 5 hours. Is that long enough?

Ooops.... edited to add picture....
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Dagny » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:48 pm

[quote="tinksdad

This is what I have. Will it work?? It has no settings. It's either on or off, plugged in or un-plugged. On the bottom it says 120V AC only, 50-60 Hz, 80 Watts.

quote]

That looks to be the same size as mine. I would try it but maybe not overnight the first time. Could you plug it in in the middle of the night? Put the ingredients before bed but plug in later?

It's really good with dried blueberries.
Dagny
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tinksdad » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:05 pm

I can use one of the timers I keep on the living room lights. If it works, I buy one solely for the kitchen.

Or I can just do a test batch during the day on my day off. That way I can watch it and know exactly how long it's going to take. It means I have oats for supper one day. I worked midnights for four years until recently, so meal schedules for me don't always happen at times the rest of the world observe.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby rebapuck » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 pm

tinksdad,

How did it go? I'm single, have the same crockpot, AND worked third shift til retiring last Nov.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby tinksdad » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:23 pm

I haven't been able to find the steel cut oats yet locally. That's what I get for living in Small Town, Mississippi. One of these days I'll find a health food store or something similar in Memphis and then will give it a test run.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby EffieRover » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 am

tinksdad wrote:I haven't been able to find the steel cut oats yet locally. That's what I get for living in Small Town, Mississippi. One of these days I'll find a health food store or something similar in Memphis and then will give it a test run.

Have any Mennonite stores nearby? That's where I get mine. Along with quinoa, frog jam and delicious sausage.
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby Dagny » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:55 am

It sound silly, but you can order some from amazon if you are there ordering something else. Spend $25 to get free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_8_ ... efix=steel
Dagny
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:42 pm

We do Steel Cut Oatmeal on a fairly regular basis. (Curse you Alton Brown).
In our area, we can usually find McCann's in with the other oatmeals tucked away on the top shelf. It's a little on the expensive side and there are other brands out there however McCann's is very tasty.

We cook our's up in the morning. It is not instant however you can usually be eating in under 30 minutes. We save the rolled oats for cookies.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:45 pm

We get 'em (intermittently) here at United Supermarket.
I've seen 'em (not intermittently) at bigger HEB stores and some Wally Worlds.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:57 pm

Having never eaten steel cut, I didn't want to buy the expensive stuff. Quaker Oats has steel cut and they were the least costly. If I think they are good and not too much trouble, I can upgrade.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby BrwBier » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:39 am

Now I've heard of steel cut oats but never tried them. I guess because I do not know what they are. What makes them different than oat meal? Inquiring minds want to know.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Geron » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:02 am

One solution to availability of Steel Cut Oats:

That's what I do

From Groat to Throat in about 30 minutes.

Steel Cut Oats, The difference - The whole Oat Groat cut into two or three large (relative) pieces. Wiki it.

I set the grain mill on about 3. Same setting to crack corn before grinding into corn meal.

Figure I'll pay for the mill after cutting may 15 tons of oats :roll:
But also use it to mill Hard White Wheat, Corn, Etc. Etc.
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2