Any Ladies ever do a Scotty rebuild?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Any Ladies ever do a Scotty rebuild?

Postby TheresaD » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi there! I'm just wondering if any of you ladies have done over a Scotty ttt. I have just started tearing my 63 Sportsman apart. I was curious if any of you had any advice for me with regard to the whole process. Were there any specific things that you ran into that were particularly challenging? Are there any chick-specific things that you can think of to include/exclude from the trailer that you may or may not have thought of initially? Any and all advice is more than welcome. I've been doing all the reading up that I possibly can and now I'm digging in.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:52 pm

This may get it's own thread. Lots of us will be following every step of the way. Where did you find your Scottie? Where will you start? I think I'd get rid of all the droppings and nests. You are probably going to have to do a tear down. You don't want any bad wood under any repairs you do.

Keep us informed about your project. Have you seen what the original Scotties looked like? Did you have one growing up?

:thumbsup:
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby goldcoop » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Theresa-

Nancy Kroes of the NSSO has rebuilt 7 or so:

http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/rebuilds/index.html

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby fireaunt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:16 pm

That a great site - I really enjoyed looking. Do they reuse the outer skin or can you buy that same stuff?
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 am

Theresa,

I picked up a 86 Serro Scotty last summer. It's in good shape so no major work needed except for the roof. NSSO recommended one restorer in Pa, Tom Bernot. I dropped off my Scotty after Easter and I'm in line(two trailers are ahead of me) for a total new roof.

You can see some of Tom's work on the NSSO site. Instead of a rubber roof he's going to use aluminum. The 3 way fridge was long gone but Tom will be removing the roof vent for it and I'm putting in an extra roof vent. So there will be two vents with two Max air covers.

Once I get it back I can continue to personalize it, including trying to figure a good a/c option. But the biggest reason to buy this was a bunk space for my nieces and nephews and a camper for fall and spring. I use the teardrop mostly in the summer.

The cushions are in good shape but I'm replacing the foam inside. I'll use throws for the cushions like the picture shows because I'll be traveling with my dog. In the kitchen I already made a new cover for the stove top and sink top to increase counter space. So just like a td I think you are never really quite done!

Good luck on your project and would love to see your progress on your Scotty.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TheresaD » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks Coop. I've been closely studying all the rebuilds on that page. There are some really good ideas out there that I'm considering incorporating into my Scotty. Nancy sure is prolific when it comes to turning out trailers! I also got your message about the windows and I'll be attacking them next. I appreciate the advice.

Barbara- that looks like a nice sized trailer. Your nieces and nephews will have fun camping in it once it's done. I'm hoping to get a few of my nieces out camping also once the Scotty is done.

So far I've gotten as far as removing the skin from the lower back of the trailer. The back is completely rotten and appears to have been home to carpenter ants- which is pretty much what I expected since the back window was broken and rain had been coming in for who knows how long. So far no major shocks. Thank God I looked at other people's rebuilds 1st or I would have just turned and ran. I have taken off all the lights, emblems, and eyebrows off from above the windows and I've also removed all the screws from the windows and now just need to take the windows themselves out. I'm going to do that next. I've begun removing the aluminum trim along the side edges as well...That's a fun project!! Tons of these little nails that have a spiral to them that makes them oh so enjoyable to remove. I've gotten about 1/2 of them out so far. From what I can tell by pulling back the side skins just a bit, the side walls aren't as terrible as I thought they were going to be... of course I don't have the skins off completely yet so who knows. Unfortunately I only got to work on it on Saturday for several hours. I had hoped to get more done Sunday but I ended up throwing my back out Sunday AM and wasn't good for much after that. :( Starting to feel a bit better so I'm hoping to get back to it over the next couple of evenings after work. I'll keep you all posted and I'll have pics shortly.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:10 pm

fireaunt wrote:That a great site - I really enjoyed looking. Do they reuse the outer skin or can you buy that same stuff?

Fireaunt-

Generally you look for a Scotty with a GOOD skin... Not too many dings, dents, tears, hail, etc. :roll:

BECAUSE the plywood underneath is usually rotted and the only thing holding it together IS the skin :lol:

You can buy it, BUT it's SPENDY.

Len makes his own.

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Changer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:29 am

There's a Scotty Serro for sale on my local CL, and I'm thinking about buying it. It was more than I wanted to spend BUT I was thinking about building from the ground up- and this has the floor plan I want, so a restore would be easier, right?
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby goldcoop » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:53 am

Changer-

Depends on the condition of the Scotty...:roll:

Check the exterior corner molding where the walls meet the roof.

Check the interior front & back top corners & around the roof vent for water damage.

Good Luck!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Changer » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:09 am

Discovered it's 2 hours from home - going to skip it, I think - plus, he's got it on Ebay and the price is probably going to end up being more than advertised on CL. Oh well.

I just love the little floorplans, though!
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Lady Teardroppers