best pancake batter??

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the T&TTT Cookbook #2.

Moderator: Mike B

best pancake batter??

Postby hotrod » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Ok heres a simple one.. I like the aunt jemima pancake batterheres my question.. Is there a batter mix that requires water only so a person doesnt have to pack milk??
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Re: best pancake batter??

Postby Kevin A » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:15 pm

hotrod wrote:Ok heres a simple one.. I like the aunt jemima pancake batterheres my question.. Is there a batter mix that requires water only so a person doesnt have to pack milk??

Yup,
http://www.krusteaz.com/brands/krusteaz ... ncake_mix/
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby planovet » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:34 pm

We like Pioneer Brand. :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Laredo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Use your regular favorite and either take along a can of canned milk or a box of powdered buttermilk (makes way yummier pancakes/waffles IMNVHO).
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Ol' what's her name pulled a fast one on Jeff (Scuba) and I last weekend. He was here helping me with " THE BARN" and she was making us breakfast. She got a little carried away with the liquids and the resulting mix would run UP hill. So she tossed in a big handful of quick oats and beat the hell out of the mix in the blender. These were some of the best and most filling pancakes I have ever eaten. I asked what was going on and she finally told on herself. If ya got a real hungry crowd they are great and you don't even have to tell , just leave them guessing.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Laredo wrote:Use your regular favorite and either take along a can of canned milk or a box of powdered buttermilk (makes way yummier pancakes/waffles IMNVHO).

Or you can use the Krusteaz mix with the powdered buttermilk already in the mix. :thumbsup: 8)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Re: best pancake batter??

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:35 pm

hotrod wrote:Ok heres a simple one.. I like the aunt jemima pancake batterheres my question.. Is there a batter mix that requires water only so a person doesnt have to pack milk??

8) The trick with Aunt Jemima mix is that they are wonderful with just water. They come out lighter than the sticky milk stuff. Same with Krustez if you can find it without milk.

Cook them a bit hotter than if they have eggs and milk.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dean_A » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:39 pm

We swear by the Krusteaz Buttermilk mix. Just add water, mix and add your favorite goodies (chocolate chips, blueberries, grated apples, etc.)
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:54 pm

I guess we're just hard core. We always take the start and makin's to have sourdough pancakes. Can't seem to go back, but we used to use Krusteaz all the time. We still use it in other things.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jplock » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I vote for Krusteaz it's the greatest especially the blueberry pancake mix!
jplock
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby 8 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Personally, I like to make mine from a basic recipe. I'll mix up the dry and wet ingredients separately at home sans egg. Then, mix the three at the site.

Although, I just saw a product in the supermarket next to the canned whipped cream.

Batter Blaster
http://www.batterblaster.com/

The taste is nothing awesome...just basic pancakes. I personally put vanilla in my recipe. The real advantage is if you want, you can make just one pancake and save the leftover for the next day/week/month. I guess you could drop some fresh blueberries on top after squirting some batter into the pan.

Refrigeration is required, so if that is why you don't want to carry milk, you are out of luck. In that case, use your recipe that calls for milk but either use powdered milk and water or use evaporated milk. Evaporated milk is basically milk with half the water removed packaged in a can that can sit unrefrigerated probably for years. And the cans are small so you don't waste much if you don't use it all.
It's not fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Visit my blog ... http://www.64ox.com
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hotrod » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:07 pm

thanks for the replies!
Heres the funny part. all these years I make the pancakes and the wife makes the batter, here I dont even know what shes been doing! lololol I just asked her and she said she just uses water but I could have swore I saw her putting milk in them.. hmmm :thinking:
We use krusteaz batter mix when we have a lions club breakfast and for some reason I just dont like them as much as the aunt jemima. Im not sure if they are the buttermilk ones tho..I grew up on bisquick brand..Be careful ordering pancakes in canada, its not what your expecting! lol thanks again!
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby TLC » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 am

One more vote for Krusteaz. I've tried all their variety's can say there are is not one I don't like. I especially like the wheat and honey mix. Makes yummy pancakes and great waffles too. I'm all for anything that makes camp cooking easier.
Tom :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby BobR » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:24 am

Get your butt over to Cracker Barrel and pick-up several bags of their pancake mix.
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 pm

KathleenO wrote:I try to avoid the pre-made mixes. It is so easy to make great pancakes without the stuff and no additives that way! I add olive oil to my batter (sounds weird but it's tasty and healthy). I also try to experiment with diff. flours such as quinoa flour and buckwheat flour. Find some milk with long shelf life and you're good.

I use olive oil in mine too. And I agree 100%, works and tastes just fine! :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #2