beach camper pics in 'user gallery'

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

beach camper pics in 'user gallery'

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:45 pm

Got some pics posted, on the side you will see the 4x8 plywood that will be hinged to swing up when setup at the beach. I will have screen behind the opening.I am planning to use hinged panels like this on all 4 sides for good airflow when at the beach. I also plan on putting small windows into the hinged pieces and a window unit in the front for camping at state parks or areas with electricity. I plan on having a queen bed in the front and 2 bunkbeds on each side on the rear side walls, the 2 top bunks will fold down to provide a back for a couch in combo with the bottom bunks. I am currently looking at water tanks to set in the frame to use for an outside shower. We mainly camp at the beach so it reallyis being geared towards that use.
Once finshed putting the plywood on I am going to use Durabak bedliner coating to paint and seal the wood with. Here is a link
http://www.cotelind.com/#durabak
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Re: beach camper pics in 'user gallery'

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:49 pm

Hey Slowpoke,

That thing is huge. Of course I'm used to looking at smaller trailers. Are you going to be able to see around that when you are towing it?

The flip up panels is a neat idea. You'll definitely get a breeze thru there! Keep on building... looking forward to seeing more progress!

Mike...

slowpoke wrote:Got some pics posted, on the side you will see the 4x8 plywood that will be hinged to swing up when setup at the beach.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:00 pm

That thing is huge. Of course I'm used to looking at smaller trailers. Are you going to be able to see around that when you are towing it?

Oh yea its only 85" wide 10' long and 5' tall, I guess since I pull 102" wide 48 footers daily it seems small to me. It doesnt have the eye appeal of a teardrop. Is there any teardrops out there that can sleep a family of 4? I would like to try one next once this one is finished.
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:32 pm

Okay, sounds like you pull big rigs. So of course this little thing is a nothing!

My teardrop is 6' wide by 10' long and 5' tall. So it's just a little narrower than yours. Mine was designed to sleep 2, but I suppose I could have designed one to sleep 4. But then I probably wouldn't have a galley.

Now if you were to build something like a cabin car, I'll bet you could sleep 4 in that! A cabin car is 6' x 6' x 12'

slowpoke wrote:That thing is huge. Of course I'm used to looking at smaller trailers. Are you going to be able to see around that when you are towing it?

Oh yea its only 85" wide 10' long and 5' tall, I guess since I pull 102" wide 48 footers daily it seems small to me. It doesnt have the eye appeal of a teardrop. Is there any teardrops out there that can sleep a family of 4? I would like to try one next once this one is finished.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:45 pm

I love the teardrop look, thats a cool looking plan. I saw my 1st teardrop last week in person. My wife likes the design of yours. Maybe we are just going to keep the beach camper simple, basically a screened in shelter on wheels and scratch the a/c windows etc and put that $$ in a teardrop. Tent camping just sucks for me on the beach and we tore up a popup using it, hence this idea.
Here is a cool Teardrop, a little above my fabbing skills i believe but definetly cool
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... index.html

Do you have any links or more info on the cabin car design?
thanks
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:36 pm

I'm liking that thing. Neat idea. keep us posted with the pic's as they come along I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

Buford

slowpoke wrote:I love the teardrop look, thats a cool looking plan. I saw my 1st teardrop last week in person. My wife likes the design of yours. Maybe we are just going to keep the beach camper simple, basically a screened in shelter on wheels and scratch the a/c windows etc and put that $$ in a teardrop. Tent camping just sucks for me on the beach and we tore up a popup using it, hence this idea.
Here is a cool Teardrop, a little above my fabbing skills i believe but definetly cool
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... index.html

thanks
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:46 pm

Sumner's pop up teardrop is very nice, I agree.

As for more information on the cabin car, George Thornton has a couple pictures on his web site. That's all there is that I am aware of. Try here
http://pages.prodigy.net/rfs2growup/autocamp.htm

But basically what you can do is take the shape of the cabin car, and package your stuff into it. We do that kind of thing all the time. :mrgreen:

slowpoke wrote:
thanks
mikeschn
Site Admin

ANyone seen this guy?

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:37 pm

Hasn't posted in a long time was curious to how his project was coming along
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Jimbo » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:17 pm

I see a lot of people talking about beach camping and am curious... Where do you camp at on the beach? Do you just pull up and set up or, do you get assigned slots like at a campground? What are some good mideast coast beaches to camp at?
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:17 am

check this out. teardrop for four. http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear47.htm

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby slowpoke » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:31 pm

I'll try and get some pics up, I have it in ''usable'' condition, just not finished . I opted to go with 7 windows around the bed area and 1 large window for ventilation for for the kids sleeping area. The folding wall did not happen, I was running short on time before my vacation and went this route to save time. We stayed in it for 4 nights on the beach and had a blast. The our bed is positioned in the rear of the trailer, 2.5' up off the floor and fits a queen size matress, for the kids we use fold out pillow chairs which are position in the front 1/2 of trailer a go partially under our bed. 2 of the nights we had 4 kids ages 6-12 on the floor and me and wife up top.
The frame is originally a 1968 Coleman pop up and then I modified it. If I ever do this again I am gonna build the frame and all.
jimbo , the beaches here that we go to, you just pull up and park wherever you want and camp. Some of the beaches require a $6.00 parking permit but thats good for a year. There are also many camp grounds that have elct/water etc but they are all behind the dunes, we like the sounds of the ocean/ seabreaze and views at night along the water
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Please

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:54 pm

please take a bunch of pictures and post them. Im dying to see this trailer
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion