Having fun with my Serro Scotty Makeover

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Having fun with my Serro Scotty Makeover

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:26 am

I should be getting back my Serro Scotty in a few weeks.

Right now it's in PA getting a little makeover with Tom Bernot of Ford City. Tom is the only person who's gets an endorsement for repairs or restorations of these cute little trailers by the National Serro Scotty Organization. He keeps me posted with all the work and sends pics of everything he's working on. I'm lucky to have gotten on his schedule for the most important thing.......a new aluminum roof. He's just waiting on the aluminum right now.

I'm putting it all together on Shutterfly. Some of the things are Tom's work and then other pictures are of my own improvements and touches. Take a peek at:
http://barbsserroscottymakeover.shutterfly.com/

I have a camping trip with the youngest nieces and nephews and will be meeting them at Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster Pa. Hope the trailer is back and ready to go so they can have a Scotty sleepover with Aunt Barb. If the Scotty isn't ready I still have the teardrop to enjoy too!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey Barb,

Your Scotty looks like it is going to be real comfy-cozy! How do those Scotties track behind the tow vehic? Is it much different from your tear?

I bet the kids can't wait.

...but just one question: You aren't stoppin' teardroppin' are you? Say it isn't so, say it isn't so! :cry:

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Barb,
The makeover is looking good! I really liked the hidden AC. Simple and functional :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Todah,
I've only towed the Scotty shorter distances, with the PA drop off for repairs the longest at just over 2 hours. It tows well but certainly heavier than the td. It's weighs in at about 1850lbs and easy to tow with my F150.

Steve,
Tom isn't a big fan of giving up a camper window to hang an ac out of. I think he had a great idea by adding that decorative grate. It saved me from having to create some kind of ductwork to get the cold air into the trailer.

Besides going with the kids for camping each year I really wanted something that I could camp in the colder weather or have something just large enough to walk into if it rained all week or if was really hot. So either the dog or the kids will join in the fun. With the ac as part of the camper I can now head down south in warmer weather and stay cool.

This little camper is totally self contained with a toilet, bathroom sink, shower, kitchen sink, three burner stove,exhaust fan, water pump ,water heater, converter, 30amp power cord and fresh, grey and black water tanks. It had one roof vent with cover so I replaced it with new ones and since the roof was coming off I asked Tom if I could add a second roof vent. So I shipped him another vent and cover and it should make having two vents that can be open in the rain or while towing very nice.

It's now going to be fun having a choice of which to take camping. The td and Scotty will both be ready and a check of the weather will help help me decide which to hook up! :thumbsup:
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Barb:
That Scotty is going to be really, really nice! ...Beautiful updates! :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:45 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Looks like a great alternative, especially when little one's will be along! Have fun :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby xrover » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Wow, am I picking up some new ideas. Great idea on the A/C! Of course it will be the coldest place to sleep!!!!
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby hiker chick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:59 am

Looks great! I aspire to someday have a standie. The Serro Scotties and Shastas being a great size.

Looking forward to more pics.

Did you do much renovating in terms of the interior? Or was it in good enough shape?

:thumbsup:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Hiker Chick,
The interior was in very good shape. Just put away the original cushion covers, sewed new covers over new foam, and addednew foam for upper bunk.

With the interior having been taken care of so nicely I thought it was worth the extra money to put into the roof and other exterior things too.

Yes, the Shasta' and Scotty's are nice little trailers.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Jumping in here a little late Barb, but your restoration is looking great.

I really enjoyed doing mine.

When I was a kid and you walked through a campground (then they were basically all State Parks, or private land, very few commercial Parks)

And you saw a Scotty you just stopped dead in your tracks and said OOOWW. Because everyone else was in tents.

Rebuilding mine spawned a lot of "Flashbacks" to those times.

Hope, and I know you will have a lot of fun with it.

Happy Trails

Len

BTW, Here's a post by me on another Board that makes MY Scotty Just a little more Special to Me.

Len Daddona wrote:I don't know if this fits here or not, But this is an absolutely Bazaar story.

I have been camping since I was a little Kid. Always in a tent with my parents.

I had an uncle, gone now who started camping in the early-mid 60's. He started in a tent as well but quickly went to a Serro Scotty Sportsman.

Now when I was a kid and you were in a campground (we always went to State Parks) and saw a trailer, especially a Scotty you just stopped and went OOOOO.

He kept that for a few years then went to a Scotty HiLander. Then something else and something else and so on until he died in late 70's.

I had always liked Scotties because of those early years and that Scotty that belonged to my uncle.

Summer of 2008

A buddy of mine had a Scotty, a tree fell on it..Hey Lenny, do you want it Sure.

I took it home,

Spent last winter rebuilding it and now its done.

I got no title with the trailer.

There is a way of getting a title for an old trailer (quick claim) but you have to know somebody on the sly who can run a vin number for you to find out previous owners, in case somebody lays claim to it when you apply for the title.

Once you know the previous owners you can research this yourself.

A Police buddy of mine ran the vin for me and found that the ORIGINAL OWNER was none other than My Uncle.

I thought of all the trailers and all the people what were the chances of me ending up with uncle Dave's trailer???

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:29 pm

Len,
Thanks for sharing that story.............................and your work looks beautiful!
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 pm

Len,
That's proof positive that it's a small world.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:51 am

Got an email that my Scotty is ready to be towed home! Tom's work is just great...............he even painted the previously white entrance door and the new baggage door to match the trailer color. Besides a new roof I feel like I'm bringing home one cute little trailer!!!!!! I head to Ford City, PA tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:11 am

Barb: That looks beautiful! It looks brand, spanking new! You're one lucky lady! :applause:

Please continue to keep us posted. (I know you will.) I want to read about your first trip with it and see more pics!

Thanks for sharing and, again, congratulations!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby TheresaD » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Barb the camper looks great! :thumbsup: You're going to have a blast with it. I have to say I'm a little jealous... I can't wait to see my little Scotty looking good again... I wish it was ready to roll today! But... I also want to enjoy the process of re-doing it so I have to keep telling myself that it will be worth the wait. Progress has been slow of late so I'm even more antsy now...I wish I didn't have to be a grown up and go to work and pay bills and such...then I could devote all my time to the Scotty... Oh well.. all in due time... Enjoy your shiny "new" old camper!!

Len - that's an awesome story about your uncle... Talk about making it all worth while!! :applause:
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers