my new recumbent

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

my new recumbent

Postby onemanbander » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:26 pm

So, I scored a fantastic deal on a recumbent bike off of craigslist.
$200 for a fantastic long wheel base (lwb) under seat steering (uss) bike.

I've never owned a recumbent before and only recently got interested in the idea of owning/riding one.

Now that I am a proud owner, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it. I figured I would start here and if no one could help me out, I would join some bicycling forum and get their input. But I like you guys.

The only bit of information that I can give besides what you can see in the pictures is that on the back of the frame tube is a plate that reads "CA333".

Thanks in advance for any and every little bit of help.

On to the pictures

Full Bike
Steering
Seat Adjustment
Pedals
Close up of handlebars and chain

You can kind of see the pedal adjustment here- makes the bike longer and shorter.
onemanbander
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Greg M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Judging by the seat horn, I'm thinking it's an old Vision. A well respected but sadly defunct brand. I'd suggest asking on the forums at Bentrider online someone there will be sure to be able to give you a definite ID

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:09 pm

yeah a Vision is the first thing I thought of..
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:21 am

could be a Vision -- but surprising there wouldn't be some kind of sticker or placard on the bike? Could it be a home-brew? Looks like you got a lot of hardware for the money. HOw much does it weigh -- I"m guessing 38+ lbs with the bags.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Senior Ninja » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:13 pm

WOW!
$200.00?
I hope it's not hot.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:29 pm

That is an excellent price for a recumbent... I'm sure you will enjoy 'sitting in a beach chair' when you go on your rides... stick to fairly level ground for a while...

The knees take a beating on hills..... if you push too hard.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Arne wrote:That is an excellent price for a recumbent... I'm sure you will enjoy 'sitting in a beach chair' when you go on your rides... stick to fairly level ground for a while...

The knees take a beating on hills..... if you push too hard.

I second that comment from Arne about the knees -- it's the reason (that and speed) that I gave the recumbent up and switched back to a standard (diamond) bike. Keep to the lower gears and concentrate on keeping your cadence up. I recommend a bit higher than most, around 90. It's the way me and most of my friends were able to stay up with the faster guys. When I started pushing the peddles is when I ran into some serious problems. As long as you keep the cadence up, you should be alright -- if you can't keep the cadence up you should back off on the steepness of the hills. With a recumbent you can push pretty hard as your back is up against the seat so you get extra leverage, but that's where the trouble can start.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onemanbander » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 am

I don't think it's stolen.
The whole transaction seemed very legit- the woman I bought it from said it was her brothers who died from cancer a year ago - (I offered my deepest sympathies) - No one in her family had any interest in riding it, they were moving to a new house, and so it was time to get it out of their garage and avoid the hassle of moving it themselves.

I don't think it's home built because of the serial number on the plate in front of the back wheel. Of course - I could be wrong.

I'll join bentrider and see if they have any more information for me.

Thanks for the help- now all I have to do is clear some time to get some more miles under my belt.
onemanbander
Teardrop Advisor

Postby onemanbander » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Bentrideronline confirmed what you all already said- it seems to be a Vision R40.
The interesting thing about this bent is that it can be reconfigured to a SWB or LWB as well as USS or OSS (with a factory kit). It's kind of like 4 bikes in one. Of course it takes some amount of adjusting to get it all set up each time you switch from one configuration to another... so I think I'll be riding a LWB USS for the time being.
Thanks again for all your help!
onemanbander
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Bicycles