The Stumble Inn

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

The Stumble Inn

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks to everyone here for all of the tips.
This is my documentation of my first build so don't give me any slack. If I mess something up I want to know about it.

I started this build with an old beat up trailer that I had laying around. It was a bolt together type of trailer so I welded up most of it to make it more solid.

I also wanted 15" tires with Chevy rims, so the little 4 hole axle had to go.
I used some old front disks from a full sized chevy, a scrap piece of pipe, and some spindles from the farm supply.
So far I'm out $31.

Here's where things start to differ from what you guys have done.
1 I'm cheap
2 I'm no good working with wood. If I screw up a cut on metal, I can put it back together. I'm more confident with metal.
3 I own a garage door business, and have lots of damaged doors laying around that would normally go to the scrap bin.
4 I'm cheap

I grabbed 3 sections from the warehouse to start the build. (2) 10'x21" sections, and (1) 10'x18" section.
These things are polystyrene on the inside, 25ga steel on the front and back, and insulated to an R value of 10.25.
A candle should keep this thing warm during bow season.

I then grabbed an old toolbox from one of my worktrucks that had been wrecked. This should house my batteries, inverter, chairs, and other odds 'n ends. Coupled with the appliances and water tank from my old (deceased) cabover hunting camper (little mud bug by the bayou II) May she rest in peace.
I figured it was a good start for day one and retired for a Miller Lite.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:42 pm

I fell in love with "Sawtooth" and wanted something like it, so I decided to base my "stumble inn" on that.

I marked out the openings for the oven/stove and an access for the sink/water supply. With the rear "counter" support in place, I then decided that it would probably be a good Idea to go ahead an mount the lower 21" of the profile. That made it rigid enough that I didn't have to worry about measuring every five minutes while assembling the galley.

A test fit and height check was in order so I dropped in the appliances.

I then added the top 21" to make my day seem complete.

I then decided that the sun was still out and wanted to play a bit, so I added the front lower section, upper section, and threw on a "roof" section so that I could sit in it and see how it felt.

The sun was starting to go down at the time so I decided to shut my welder down so the neighbors wouldn't be too mad. (They're probably aggravated at all of the scrap stuff I have laying around for the build already).

Day two was over and I was impressed with my work, so i opted to get a six pack of Dos Equis for my time and effort.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Day three involved very little work.
I was wore out from the heat of the day and being stuck in garages with no air flow. The shade tree felt good at a reasonable 95º (105º heat index) so I just kind of sat and stared more than I worked.

I added the front window from the "little mud bug", cut my doors, and added part of the entertainment center/cabinet.

So that's where I am one week into the build and a total of three actual working days. Two of them involved the weekend, and one I was being lazy.

I'm shooting for Memorial Day, but this is where things are going to slow down.

Time for a Bud Ice. :thumbsup:
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby Barefoot » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Slick on the hubs and stubs and rims and things.
Love the wainscoting effect on the inside.

Code: Select all
 :applause:
Barefoot
Teardrop Master

Postby dsmith » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 am

:applause: I love good old fashioned "American Know How" and Frugality! Keep the post coming!!! :thumbsup:
dsmith
Teardrop Builder

Postby eatatjoz » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Today I was supposed to be working on the girlfriends motorcycle. I succeeded in getting the motor out, but lost interest shortly afterwards.
The "Stumble inn" pulled me to her side.

I started by trenching a place for the wiring. After a few minutes of foam floating everywhere, and getting tired of digging the stuff out, I figured there had to be a better way.
The problem was solved with a old can of gold spray paint.
The spray paint melted the foam enough to run my wiring.

I then started on my porch light.
I picked this guy up from wally-world for five bucks. After a few minutes, I had wired it with a pull-chain and a side-marker light for a Chevy truck.

And of course i had to bleed to make this thing a complete camper.

I also added my red-neck air conditioner (window) and my door seal.

So far i'm out 36 bucks.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby banjoman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 am

more updates plz ,i realy like this build.. :applause:
banjoman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eatatjoz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:23 pm

I spent Saturday working on the GF's scoot. That little V-twin is freakin heavy! i did manage to get the engine back in though.
I should have finished the bike today, but I slacked off to tinker with my new camper.

I took the slugs from the openings and wrapped them with an adapter made to mate Ship-lap garage doors to tongue and groove doors.

After screwing the slugs together, I started on the windows after a quick size check.

I took out a garage door last week that happened to have double paned insulated windows in it.
The frames are brown, but it's a easy score, and the camper's going to be painted anyway.

Then I had to see what it looked like.

The inside is getting filthy from metal dust, and sitting under my shade tree. I'm going to have to tarp it while putting my paneling in, and before the roof goes on. :roll:
:oops:
I guess I should have built it at the warehouse, but I like being outside.

I also built a door for my cabinet/entertainment console, but got lazy and didn't mount it.
Tomorrow, I get to finish the bike and start on my brother's Ninja. :cry:
my camper building time is being seriously delayed with other projects.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby lisasweetie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:39 pm

I love this build. :twisted: I also love that you aren't spending a load of money to do it. :twisted: I really love the stove in the galley. :twisted: I seriously hope you meant you were aiming for Labor Day to finish instead of Memorial Day (or you plan to get really sidetracked). Where are you? :roll:
Lisa,

ImageImage
lisasweetie
Teardrop Master

Postby eatatjoz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Oops! I get my holidays mixed up sometimes.

I thought that I had put my location in my profile, but I had issues during sign-up.
:x I'll get that fixed soon, but for now, I'm in the big town of Mayflower, Arkansas.

The thing about the stove/oven is kind of funny. I don't even use a stove at home, but when camping... I have to have my coffee! That thing will make it nice, and I may even bring along some frozen pizzas.
The icebox (turned ice chest) was intended to hold a little food and a "party-ball" with a tap on the outside of the camper. That's where the "stumble-inn" name came from. Alas I was informed that they're not available in pulaski county anymore. :thumbdown: I may end up replacing it with something that will hold a pony-keg. The guys at deer camp with their big fifth wheel pull out contraptions will laugh at me when I pull up, but when I tap the keg...
:twisted:
I hate the harvest gold on both of them, but I'll make due.

I also mis-measured and ended up with an extra 18" in the cabin. I'm not sure what to do with that.

Thanks for the support. I'm really enjoying this thing already, and if I can ever get enough free time to finish it, I'll enjoy it somewhere besides in front of my fire pit.
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:09 pm

lisasweetie wrote: I also love that you aren't spending a load of money to do it.

Amen! I wish I could say the same for my build. I think my next build will be a close to free as possible. The first tears were built as inexpensively as possible. I'd like to try building one that way.
Last edited by wlivesey on Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Great Build

Postby Alfred » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Great build! I am really enjoying your thread and ingenuity, creativity in getting-r-done!

AL. :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby eatatjoz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm

I didn't get much done this weekend. Not anywhere near what I wanted to. The rain kinda slowed me down a bit.
I did succeed in getting some paneling up and getting my headboard
somewhat built.

The paneling came from my office. I'm in the process of moving to another location, and my landlord wants the old office returned to one large space instead of my current setup of an office, breakroom, reception, and showroom. I have LOTS of paneling and 2x4's that have to come out.

I salvaged an old packing crate for my headboard. The color and grain sucks, but it was free. :thumbsup: I'll just paint it to hide that it's just an old pallet.

I may not make my deadline due to delays, but I'm going to have to have something for bow season!
:worship:
eatatjoz
Teardrop Master

Headboard is cool as-is

Postby Alfred » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:13 pm

eatatjoz wrote:I salvaged an old packing crate for my headboard. The color and grain sucks, but it was free. :thumbsup: I'll just paint it to hide that it's just an old pallet.
Image :worship:

I think it looks cool, kind of simple and rustic, as-is!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Looks great to me!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets