tent campers and sleeping

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

tent campers and sleeping

Postby ame8199 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Ok tent campers, what do you sleep on? I have an air mattress but no idea how to blow it up without actually blowing it up using my own lungs. Are those self inflating mattresses any good? or do you use just sleeping bags?

Edit: ok I do have a pump but it requires to be plugged in.
Amy
~future owner of a teardrop~
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Postby jeep_bluetj » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:52 pm

If you're car-camping, sleep on a coleman style air-mattress
and get a coleman 4 d-cell airpump to blow it up. (Target/walmart/sporting goods stores have them). Worth every penny and packing hassle. I like the battery inflator as it runs inside the tent, and I don't need to remember to charge it. Use the inflator to deflate the mattress when you're done too.

I'll only use the thin self-inflate when backpacking, and it's not what most would consider comfortable.

Edit: A 110 v pump can be coerced to work at some campgrounds by:

1. Walking the mattress over to the bathrooms where you'll often find a 110v plug (This is a hassle, and I'll guarentee you'll see it happen every weekend in most Calif state parks)

2. Getting friendly with the guys/gals in the RV that has a generator.

3. Finding somebody that has lots of battery and an inverter. (Same as #2, really)

4. Having hookups on your site.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Self inflating pads are better than sleeping on cold wet ground, but are not the same as a decent inflatable mattress.

You can find very nice 8" thick mattresses for 20-40 dollars that come with a battery powered inflator.
VERY handy and worth every penny!
One quarter turn and the inflator is locked on to the mattress, it starts by itself, and within 2 minutes your bed is inflated, no huffing and puffing.

To deflate, push the quick release tab on the fill valve and the air comes out very fast.

The beds with the flocked surface are a little more money than the plain plastic ones, but are far more comfortable to sleep on.
Which ever one you choose, figure on a thick blanket to cover the mattress.
(Probably wise anyway with doggy toe nails about...)
Laying down on cold plastic without a blanket is like laying on a plastic waterbed mattress with cold water in it...

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ame8199 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:57 pm

48Rob wrote:
You can find very nice 8" thick mattresses for 20-40 dollars that come with a battery powered inflator.
One quarter turn and the inflator is locked on to the mattress, it starts by itself, and within 2 minutes your bed is inflated, no huffing and puffing.

To deflate, push the quick release tab on the fill valve and the air comes out very fast.

Where would I find one with the inflator that locks on the mattress? I remember seeing them, but cant find them on Walmart or Targets website.
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 pm

Amy,

I bought mine at a local farm store, but you can get them on E bay, and at camping stores.

Here is a link to one on E bay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/AERO-SPORT-ALL-TERR ... 286.c0.m14
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mandy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 pm

ame8199 wrote:
48Rob wrote:

Where would I find one with the inflator that locks on the mattress? I remember seeing them, but cant find them on Walmart or Targets website.

Look for "inflatable bed " at Walmart or Target website.

I found this one but I really wasn't looking.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694685

Hope this helps.
Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:11 pm

We used a King Size Coleman Airmattress and a 12volt airpump that plugged into our car's cigarette lighter. It worked great for years.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Foam

Postby tearhead » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 pm

Prior to the tear, we had been sleeping on roll-up foam pads that we got from K-Mart or Walmart. They're not too bad--better than being on the ground, but not as good as a mattress would be.

I would put fancy inflatables in the "don't need it" category, if you're saving money. You hope to have a teardrop pretty soon, right?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:22 pm

I haven't posted to this site in a long time. But I have been continuously lurking.

I am a tent camper, wannabee teardropper.

I use ozark trail camping gear, the single air mattresses. this is my 3rd year using the same ones. i also use the c or d battery operated inflator. it only takes a couple minutes to blow one mattress up. unscrew the mattress when you want to deflate. easy as pie. the mattresses i get only cost about 12 bucks give or take.

but i will agree with the other poster about have a cover for the mattress, something thick works better or a couple of fleece blankets. sleeping on a cold air mattress is not fun, well it might be fun, but it will be cold.

i have been reading your posts and you are new to camping. you can get carried away with buying gear. get the basic stuff and build on to that. like i said, you can get carried away and end up way over packing for car camping with a tent, i know, i carry a window a/c unit for my tents. :)

you have a tent, and will have your stove. pick up a pan or grill/gridle for cooking over the stove or open fire. get some camping utensils, (you really don't even need camping ones, you can just borrow your normal kitchen ones for the first time out). after your first time out you will get a better feel of what you will "need" and what you will "want".

one thing you might want to check into is the camping toilets. i sometimes camp with just my kids and i am a coward of the outside critters at night. so i will not walk to a restroom (if one is even close by) at night. i have my potty inside my tent and i love it. it has been a life saver.

one other thing i would make sure you have is a good sleeping bag, (right hikerchick). LOL

make sure you seam seal/rain proof your tent! good sleeping bag. you will be dry and warm. you have a stove and pan and utensils, so you can cook and eat. make sure you have a flashlight and potty, and you will have a great time with the basics. LOL

oh i just thought of one more thing, my hubby is the firestarter. but when he does not camp with us, it is left up to me. i will not try starting a fire for hours (like he does). so i have a box of firestarter packets. i have had no problems starting a fire at all.

a couple more things i just thought of. a small dustpan/broom for cleaning your tent before rolling and packing it away. a towel for your tent, incase it gets wet or damp. you want to pack it away dry and clean.

one of those rubber like mallots with a hook at one end for thumping in your stakes. you also might want to look at a good set of stakes in addition to what comes with the tent. i have lots of stakes and you just never know when you need extras for something..clothes lines, or extra tarps over something, extra rope, campers knife with maybe scissors.

a small first aid kit.

something to clean you dishes, pans etc. you can get sponges and add dish soap to them let them dry and stick in plastic sandwich bags. then you won't have to worry about bringing a whole bottle of dawn(or whatever brand).

bring some plastic bags, like sandwich bags, for toothpaste/toothbrushes, soap, whatever. and maybe some larger bags like garbage bags, for garbage, or wet clothes or dirty whatevers.

have a great first trip out! and can't wait to hear about your trip.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Re: Foam

Postby ame8199 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

tearhead wrote:Prior to the tear, we had been sleeping on roll-up foam pads that we got from K-Mart or Walmart. They're not too bad--better than being on the ground, but not as good as a mattress would be.

I would put fancy inflatables in the "don't need it" category, if you're saving money. You hope to have a teardrop pretty soon, right?

Thats what Im thinking, I really dont need a really good air mattress. Im hoping to get my tear next year and I will have foam in there. But I dont want to feel like Im sleeping on the hard ground. Maybe i'll just find a 12v pump so I can pump it up in my car, or a battery one. I do need to pump up the mattress I have here to make sure it holds air :)
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Amy I use a 12 volt air pump with a air mattress in the trailer and air it up with a Jump start battery. Use it anywhere and have a LED Light for the tent / Tear / car. Some jump Start batteries have tire pump, lights and jumper cables / 400 watt invert ( 110v AC ) for about $70 ~ $100 ( makes a good power source for both 12 volt and 110 volt A/C outlets ). :thinking: 8) :applause:

:thumbsup:

Pat

PS: I have two of these multi-purpose jump start batteries in the trailer and love them. You can charge them form a car or any 12 volt source ( plug included ) or a 110 volt A/C outlet ( using a 110 volt plug in module included - Wall-wart ). You can use it if you run your car battery down to start your car. I always include a roll of Gorilla Duct Tape for leaks and other uses.

Last edited by ARKPAT on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:30 am

i will not try starting a fire for hours (like he does). so i have a box of firestarter packets. i have had no problems starting a fire at all.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby JenniferandPups » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:07 am

It depends on how much money you want to spend vs your minimum cushion for a non-miserable night.
I've always used a self inflating pad... but it is expensive, not very cushion-y, and for backpacking. Works for me, since I sleep anywhere. But... I wouldn't spend the money on one if you are not going to backpack.

My husband has used one of those inflating pool things... you can lie on them in your pool? Anyway, it's like $3 for an air mattress that way. Breaks after a season, but you'll have your teardrop!

Other cheap options include a roll of egg carton foam. Cheap, and you can use it in your teardrop if you want.
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:41 pm

if you choose carefully you can use the same mattress in your tear.

backup firestarter: Boy Scout magnesium bar.

Same one's been in the gear box since our first camping trip as a family, 1991.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby jeep_bluetj » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 pm

Kinda what I was saying in my first post:

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.j ... =317618803

12bux, and you're comfy. Worth every penny. (I use sleeping bags on top of the airmattress)

My colman airmattresses have the "twist lock" opening, the cheapie wally world brand I just stick the pump into. Batteries means it works anywhere.

Fire? Ahhh... the airpump is fun with fire. Y'all can melt beer bottles in 20 seconds by stoking a campfilre with a airpump. We've melted GRILLS doing it. I've melted several airpumps too :)..

(Be sensible, ashes/embers go everywhere when you do it -- don't do it where it's not safe...)
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Camping Secrets