Here's how I'd like to follow an entire build thread...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How do you like to follow a build progression?

1 thread only
79%
I like it done in major steps or segments
19%
I don't follow any build threads
2%

Total votes : 62

Here's how I'd like to follow an entire build thread...

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:56 am

In the past there have been comments on how people post the progression on their builds. Some like it broken into major steps and separate threads, IE, frame, sides, top, skin, interior, finish...etc....others have mentioned that they would prefer 1 continuous thread.

I prefer the shorter step method as it doesn't string along into a long "where'd everyone go thing". (Not that there is anything wrong with that), but it's just not everyones thing and can cut out a lot of the off topic stuff that may evolve. Some builds can continue for quite a while, others don't. What's your opinion? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:28 am

Doug, in a way, it kinda depends on the build...if it is a loooong period build, it is better to put it into(and follow) when done in segments...thataway ya know when something new has occurred...on the other hand, if the build is a quick one, say less than 6mos, one continuous thread works pretty well as in the "Puffin" build...my .02 cents worth anyway.......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:52 am

I agree Jack....a shorter build is easier to follow in a single thread. So what makes a short build and what makes a long one? I think a lot of it depends on whether or not one is asking for input or just blowin' and goin'. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby prohandyman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:15 am

I too like the 1 thread idea. It helps if the author inserts a note, or changes the title a bit, to reflect the recent progress! It is unfortunate that so many get hijacked, with needless babble unrelated to the subject, that bump the page counts up.
IMHO
Keep up the good work woderators!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:36 am

The 2 sources I found most informative when I was studying prior to construction was Joanne's dessert dog blog and Dee Bee's chronicals of his build. These were and are a running diary of the day to day progress with pictures and diagrams. The "soaps" ( day to day thread inserts) either want to expand on the insertion of each and every screw or skip large expanses of time. The day to day threads do allow for conversation and in normal conversation some times the topics migrate WHA WHA ! :

( A mild left turn in the conversation should not be a hanging offense. )
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:03 am

bobhenry wrote:
( A mild left turn in the conversation should not be a hanging offense. )

As long as it's a turn to the "Left" I have no problem with that. :lol:

I did the 1 thread deal when I built "little gypsy'. Even though it was a short build of only a few months, there were times it was dormant, but later was easy for folks to find the whole thing. (I get a lot of e-mails from folks that aren't a part of this forum) When builds are broken up into segments it's hard to find all the parts and put them together years later.

Not to say you can't cross post interesting parts of your build into the construction, frame, electrical, and other sections.

Lynn Coleman took the gypsy thread, removed all the hijacked parts and gave it to me on a disk. It was surprisingly a nice read (enjoyed the adulation) :D

Someday perhaps, if we standardize a format, after the build, the whole thread could be moved to a section reserved for Completed Builds. But that might make it too easy for some hack to put together a coffee table book and put it on E-bay :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby planovet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 am

I prefer the one thread only. It's easier to find and you don't have to search for each thread if it is broken apart. One thing I request is that the author place an UPDATE in the thread title to let us know of major updates (i.e. UPDATED 09/03). That way I know something has been added and not just some off topic conversation. Of course when I did my build I just put all the pictures on my website and threw out a thread every once in a while when I had something major to note.

So what do I know??? :? :lol:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:26 am

I'm in the "I don't care as long as I have some pics" camp! :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:31 am

WELDED THREAD FRAMES TODAY

Definitely 1 thread with 1 adjustment for the builder/poster. We are in a scrolling universe with blogs etc., so simply title and identify each segment with caps, large fonts and underline at the top of each entry. That would help tremendously for the reader. Of course out of courtesy for the cause on a build thread, that size font would be reserved for the builder/poster only.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rainjer » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:47 am

I like the one tread way. I wish there was a way for only the original poster to post on the tread so ther is not a bunch of comment to go thru to see the build progress. Look at the Roswell build an you would see there are a lot of comments between the progress posts. If we eliminate the comments, the build thread would give a nice archive to the build.

Maybe we can put all of the build treads into one sub menu. Something like "Build Treads (read only)".

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

My build thread

Postby Alfred » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:58 am

My approach is to maintain one build thread, where I usually post progress. I will change/revise the title in the first post whenever a significant addition is made to my build journal.

Although the dialog has digressed at times, it remains more or less focused on the progress (or lack thereof) of my build. Someday, when (if?) the build is ever finished, I like the idea of a chronicle of the build from beginning to end.

Then, I tend to post a separate post once in awhile, limited to a specific question or problem with the build. For example, I remember posting a separate question about bolting the floor to the trailer.

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby tears4mama » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:36 am

here is another idea.
Granted, I am a noob but I am working on the planning phase of my dropper!
Other forums that I participate in have a blog feature. Most are run on the same program as this one based on the layout. That way the owner of the build thread can post their updates and others can comment as needed. Comments can be read or not based on user control panel preferences. We can be notified of new posts to the blog by "subscribing" to the blog.
I for one hate the idea of multiple threads for 1 build. As a newb I was researching the baja benroy. There were 4-5 threads that talked about the build that I found. The were in no order that I could tell and I really like a start to finish.
tears4mama
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:10 pm

Gotta say the one thread method is easier to keep up with. Needs to be tied to an album so the pictures don't go away too.

T4M http://www.mikenchell.com/Baja_Benroy_Photo_Album/
These are the Baha Benroy pictures. You can find most of Mike's stuff at his website: www.mikenchell.com

I put my build on one thread and asked questions in the other forums. I also have extra pictures in my Photobucket site. If you look at Mary K's Photobucket she has done the same. Lots of extras.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:34 pm

One thread is the only way to go.

I for one, would never go looking for a second thread on the same build.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:40 am

I don't get to hang out here as much as I would like. If it was broken up, I may not know where to look for the next segment.

One thread.

P.S. when do you start?
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to User Polls