Here's how I'd like to follow an entire build thread...

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

How do you like to follow a build progression?

1 thread only
79%
I like it done in major steps or segments
19%
I don't follow any build threads
2%

Total votes : 62

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:19 am

I like the one thread idea.

But, if the builder has questions, it might be better to put those in the proper section (examples: electrical questions in electrical; frame questions in frames and chassis, etc.). Then, put the final decision/version in the build thread with maybe a link to the off-thread one, if someone wants to see the "whys" of it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:50 pm

doug hodder wrote:....a shorter build is easier to follow in a single thread.

That kinda puts me in the segmented category...
One thing I do, if someone does the segmented version, is go to their album or where they have their pics stored to look at different stages of the build.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
doug hodder wrote:....a shorter build is easier to follow in a single thread.

That kinda puts me in the segmented category...
One thing I do, if someone does the segmented version, is go to their album or where they have their pics stored to look at different stages of the build.

Might also put you into the "longest running thread" category. 8)

Sorry Dean, it just you are such an easy target. You're craftsmanship is beautiful by the way.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Aaron Coffee » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:57 am

I prefer the one thread, because if I am looking for something I saw, it is easier to remember that is was in "joeblows" build thread
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm with the majority and like the one thread builds. I thinks it helps to either have an album short cut or a thread short cut in your signature line for those who may not know the name of your build thread.
Heck, I can't even remember the name of mine :oops: :lol: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby caseydog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:25 pm

I lean toward the one-thread.

I don't comment in every build thread, but I do check in from time-to-time on a lot of them, and it's nice to be able to find on continuous thread that I can follow.

On hybrid is to do what I did yesterday on my build thread -- modify the title as you progress, so folks can tell something major has happened. My thread was originally "CaseyKraft 2 is started", but now it is "CaseyKraft 2 is (campable)."

If I had thought of it earlier, I could have made several title modifications, such as, "CaseyKraft 2 Has a Roof," etc.

That way, you get one thread, and notice in the index that another bridge has been crossed.

CD :thinking:

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Juneaudave wrote:I'm in the "I don't care as long as I have some pics" camp! :thumbsup:

+1, I like lots of pictures. And, I personally like to look at them IN the thread, and not have to go to an album or off-forum picture hosting site. It is easier to understand a build if the photos are mixed in with the related text, IMO.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

like this?

Postby irondance2003 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:12 pm

OK HOW ABOUT THIS sort of without all the 30+ photos that would be on the thread
How I build a Chassis in a few pages . Then a comment page... Like
RE..TD build #37 Comments

.THE MAIN BEING
My TD BUILD 1........9....11.......24 etc #'s being updates

Then lay the springs along the rails and where they touch is where they will ride on the chassis .

Now as you can guess they would wear through the rails very quickly so we put in a 1/4in (6mm) plate for it to ride on, mine is 2in (50mm) wide by long enough to go at least 1in (25mm) past the end of the spring length. this was fully welded to the rail lineing up the outer edge, I then cut a square washer in two and used the 2 sections to reinforce the inner side of the plate.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

OK Today a week after I had done this bit a friend came over and I got him to look at the whole chassis and the website (here) and He pointed that in his mind I have made 1 mistake and it is here.

He Builds trailers for a living so I hang my head and bow to him on this point, When he puts the slipper plate in he stops it at the same level as the spring (not 1in (25mm) past) the reason is that over time if carring a large weight the spring can and will wear into the plate and it will form a ridge at the end ,So one day you are driveing along hit a bump and the spring can't slip further than the ridge and may break some thing.

On large trailers and some trucks the ware plate will go past the end of the spring but these are bolted in and are designed to be 1/2 moon shape and be replaced when they start to wareout.

Build with CARE, TIME will tell.OH and I changed my website in dec07
irondance2003
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:55 pm

S. Heisley wrote:I like the one thread idea.

But, if the builder has questions, it might be better to put those in the proper section (examples: electrical questions in electrical; frame questions in frames and chassis, etc.). Then, put the final decision/version in the build thread with maybe a link to the off-thread one, if someone wants to see the "whys" of it.

:applause:
I prefer the 1 thread method and that's exactly what I do on mine. One thread for the build, and I post topic specific questions in it's own thread for those who don't particularly follow my thread but might want to contribute to my Air conditioning problem (or whatever), then I post "what I got done today" in my build thread, (with deviations welcome of course)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 am

caseydog wrote:
Juneaudave wrote:I'm in the "I don't care as long as I have some pics" camp! :thumbsup:

+1, I like lots of pictures. And, I personally like to look at them IN the thread, and not have to go to an album or off-forum picture hosting site. It is easier to understand a build if the photos are mixed in with the related text, IMO.

Agrees with CD. When I started mine there was a lot of banter...some of it quite funny. I recently requoted all the "technical" stuff, and reposted it in the new forum in preparation that with the new job I may get to start building again. I also like CD's idea of changing the title when you add something new, and pics in the thread itself. The link in my signature line goes to the shortened version...but the long version is still in the non-traditional build forum, as I said, some of it was quite funny.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby MoparCzy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:27 pm

I would like them in parts, but at the same time there needs to be a link at the end of each one telling you where the next thread is.
MoparCzy
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2bits » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:20 pm

MoparCzy wrote:I would like them in parts, but at the same time there needs to be a link at the end of each one telling you where the next thread is.

There's an interesting idea! I still like to know where to go to (Build Journals) to go if I am just looking to do some exploring tho.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby satch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:51 am

1 trailer. 1 thread :thumbsup:
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Previous

Return to User Polls