Chorizon's Hill-Country Hauler PIC UPDATE 04/27/2011

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 am

+2 on the laser envy.

On the project list, after build #2, I had in mind to build a sheet goods size CNC router, but I would have to convince the CFO, that I can have both halves of the garage.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby chorizon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks guys for checking out my build! The laser has come in handy on this project. I've drawn up every phase of my trailer in CAD, and having the ability to let a machine do the hard stuff has helped me out a lot.

I can't wait to find something to machine for the trailer, since that's really my forte.

Aggie, you should check out the CNC router that Mike S. built. Its really cool! Good luck with the CFO...! :thumbsup:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Buen Hecho!!!

Postby Txbum » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Hola, felicidades , has hecho muy bueno en la construcciones . Orale dale con mas ganas! :applause: Txbum
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Buen Hecho!!!

Postby chorizon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Txbum wrote:Hola, felicidades , has hecho muy bueno en la construcciones . Orale dale con mas ganas! :applause: Txbum

Igualmente, Rick! Yo trataba de hacerlo tanto bien que puedo. Vamos a terminarlo muy pronto! Mandale Dinero! Dale Gas!

-El "Chorizon" :thumbs up1:

P.S. We need to see more of your construction as well. Last time I saw it, you were well on your way. Even working on it in the middle of the night? :thumbsup:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Time for an update...
I've made some good progress since my last update, and I have the pics to prove it! :lol:
I got my ceiling in, it is 1/8" Oak like the walls.
Have finished my wiring runs...
I installed the "life-support system" aka the A/C, and the front bulkhead.
I installed the rear cabinet and finished the galley pantry in one fell swoop! Yes, that's the Kuffel Creek Comet plans there in the last pic, although there have been quite a few revisions and deviations!
The A/C is on and its blowing COLD! This is starting to feel like a real trailer! I covered up the doors with cardboard and climbed in. This is starting to pay off!
I installed the aluminum on one side. Its being held in place by screws temporarily until I get the trim on. The cutout for the water inlet was not fun. More later!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:54 pm

Oh yeah you made some good progress alright! I think the height of your AC is in a good place and I like those lights! ! What are you gonna use to cover the AC Box on the outside when on the road?
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Dean_A » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Looks like it's really coming along! You might want to double check the location of the screw holes for your roof vent/fan. I know on some models (i.e. Fantastic Fans) the single roof spar isn't wide enough to screw into. I had to add some blocking around my fan opening.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 pm

2bits wrote:Oh yeah you made some good progress alright! I think the height of your AC is in a good place and I like those lights! ! What are you gonna use to cover the AC Box on the outside when on the road?

Thanks, Thomas! My building spirit was really boosted when we went to the Guadalupe Adventure last month.
The AC found its spot on its own. That was the only place it seemed to fit, and we had to have it (it is, after all, life-support during the summer-time!).
As far as covering the AC up, that is a good question! I've read the horror stories before about mounting the AC to the front, but I'm probably the first (not!) person to think they have figured out a way to do it with no leaks.
I plan on building a box out of Al sheet-metal around the AC and sealing the opening the best that I know how (flanged with weatherstripping). If that doesn't work...we'll deal with it "as the need arises".
I really like the lights. They were less than $10 apiece from a local RV parts supplier (I finally found one!), and I can replace the bulbs when I get the $$$ for some LEDs.
Another word about the lights...they were the first thing I installed in my trailer that was wired-up permanently. They worked! That was really cool!
I dig your trailer alot and am glad you had a great weekend at Joe Pool, The TV is sweet, I've always wanted a cool Chevy pickup with a V-8!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Dean_A wrote:Looks like it's really coming along! You might want to double check the location of the screw holes for your roof vent/fan. I know on some models (i.e. Fantastic Fans) the single roof spar isn't wide enough to screw into. I had to add some blocking around my fan opening.

Thanks, Dean, I'll watch for that. It seems like I've had OCD throughout every step on this build, but I think I've been pretty lucky when I actually end the planning stage (90%) and enter the building stage (5%) and "just do it" and everything just seems to work out...and work out pretty well.
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 pm

Hey Joshua,

I second Dean's note about the roof vent, I had to double up my framing for it too, but it was no biggie, just test fit it and see where the screw holes land.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck, I have always owned some kind of cool vehicle, but I am smart too... I treat the truck with the same attitude I did the teardrop, I want to USE it! I have so many friends with these cool hot rods they can't afford to drive! Well, I wanted to travel in style but not break the bank and since I've never really been a hot rodder and I always tend to do things a little off the beaten path (hence the teardrop too!) I actually pulled the V-8 out and installed an inline 6 cylinder. It is a higher horsepower Mercruiser boat engine actually, but they use the same block as a regular Chevy 250 so it bolted in fine. Just trying to think for myself! ;)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 am

Joshua:

You're doing a beautiful job. That is going to be a really nice tear. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your build! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:23 am

Wow Joshua,
"Progress" is the understatement of the year! The profile looks fantastic. Please slow down so you don't destroy the mystique of teardrop time.
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby chorizon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 am

Thomas, thanks for the 2nd on the vent-framing. That's cool that you were able to get a straight-6 boat engine in your truck, that's very unique!

Sharon, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you like it so far!

Tom, thanks also for the kind words. I'm ready to get finished so I can go camping this fall! We need a vacation really bad!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

!

Postby ajaversa » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:37 am

congratulations! beautiful teardrop!!!
More photos in...
http://www.lagrimaparados.com.ar
"Cuando quieres alguna cosa, todo el Universo conspira para que la consigas"
ajaversa
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Yeah... speaking of... It has been quite a while since an update. I hope everything is going good and you have been too busy camping to post!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals