Advice from Trike People needed

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

Postby TPMcGinty » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:11 pm

For those of you that are interested, I ended up with one that looks like this:

Except that mine doesn't have the rear shock and the shifters are a little different.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby t-vicky » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:22 pm

I really like these but that price is YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING. I went out behind the garage where all the kids old bikes where sitting & started cutting & welding. I spent about $75.00 on this. Would be a lot more fun if I didnt live on a dirt road.

The impossable just takes longer & cost more.
t-vicky
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:10 am

t-vicky wrote:I really like these but that price is YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING. I went out behind the garage where all the kids old bikes where sitting & started cutting & welding. I spent about $75.00 on this. Would be a lot more fun if I didnt live on a dirt road.

Wow! That's a nice home built!
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:57 am

I did not realize so many of us had recumbent"s. We should all bring them to a gathering and ride.
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:16 am

t-vicky wrote:I really like these but that price is YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING. I went out behind the garage where all the kids old bikes where sitting & started cutting & welding. I spent about $75.00 on this. Would be a lot more fun if I didnt live on a dirt road.

Looks like a nice clean job! :thumbsup: How did you make your steering assemblies?
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:37 am

kirkman wrote:I did not realize so many of us had recumbent"s. We should all bring them to a gathering and ride.

How about bringing them to ITG3?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby kirkman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 pm

TPMcGinty wrote:
kirkman wrote:I did not realize so many of us had recumbent"s. We should all bring them to a gathering and ride.

Would love to but it is to far for me! :cry:
I am self employed and can not take that much time off to drive that far!
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV
kirkman
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 pm

kirkman wrote:
TPMcGinty wrote:

Would love to but it is to far for me! :cry:
I am self employed and can not take that much time off to drive that far!

Ah come on. Bring a computer and work for a while each day!
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby moreforles » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:31 pm

I was thinking about getting one too, a couple years ago, but too many other bills showed up, and its on hold..... until I buy and pay for a few other things.

myself, I like the Actionbent model
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Postby Tx River Rat » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:51 am

Ya'll are killing me , I am already building two trailer and wooden kayaks.
Had picked up some 20 inch wheels and a 26 in moutain bike for a tadpole type trike.
I had put it on the back burner and now with this thread its back on the front burner.
Too many projects and to little time.
Ron
Tx River Rat
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Barefoot » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:15 pm

Here's another member with a recumbent trike, a Sidewinder. I got it back when I was getting over about a year of worsening, unsuccessfully diagnosed lymphoma, then six months of chemotherapy. I was keenly aware of needing gentle but steadily increasing exercise but was none too steady on my feet. It appealed to me as the second-least-expensive tadpole and just odd enough.

The back wheel steers and both front wheels pull, through a short chain and a differential. You can see the few "presents" I've bought it: car mirror, water bottle and bag, camera bag, cargo bag, home-made, ur, hand-crafted clip-on pedals, and an electronic spedometer / odometer / hours / calorie / something else gizmo. The tires have a decent tread for off-road (for two-wheel drive) with a narrow smooth center stripe for pavement. The only trouble I've had was one time when it shifted into the eighth of seven gears and left me with a spindle full of neutrals, easily fixed on the spot. It does not like hills, though, but that may have something to do with the much-abused second-hand "motor."
Barefoot
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:08 am

Barefoot wrote:Here's another member with a recumbent trike, a Sidewinder. I got it back when I was getting over about a year of worsening, unsuccessfully diagnosed lymphoma, then six months of chemotherapy. I was keenly aware of needing gentle but steadily increasing exercise but was none too steady on my feet. It appealed to me as the second-least-expensive tadpole and just odd enough.

The back wheel steers and both front wheels pull, through a short chain and a differential. You can see the few "presents" I've bought it: car mirror, water bottle and bag, camera bag, cargo bag, home-made, ur, hand-crafted clip-on pedals, and an electronic spedometer / odometer / hours / calorie / something else gizmo. The tires have a decent tread for off-road (for two-wheel drive) with a narrow smooth center stripe for pavement. The only trouble I've had was one time when it shifted into the eighth of seven gears and left me with a spindle full of neutrals, easily fixed on the spot. It does not like hills, though, but that may have something to do with the much-abused second-hand "motor."

Wow! I've never seen one that stears the rear wheel and drives the front wheels. That's cool!
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby TallyCast » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:05 pm

My usual road ride is a LWB Rans Wave but occasionally, I captain on this tandem trike from Organic Engines.

I've been thinking about a single rider trike for awhile and have looked at a few. I'm especially interested in the Cat Trike (made in Florida) and the Trice from ICE.
TallyCast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Barefoot » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm

<Wow! I've never seen one that stears the rear wheel and drives the front wheels. That's cool! Tim>

Thank you, thank you. 'Nuther cool thing is the little lever on the near side disconnects the steering. HUH? That mean that (at low speeds!) you can hit one brake and pivot on that wheel, about forty feet handier for turning around on a narrow trail.

I too wondered at my age about standing back up after a long ride, but on this you just plant your hands on those rails just inside the front tires. Using the front wheels on most any tadpole ought to work, too, so long as you can lock the brake(s) or be careful to lift straight up.

Oh, and it fits in the tow vehicle, a Honda Element, with the tailgate shut. The back tire goes up between the front seats. Of course that means the back seats can no longer be folded down into a bed, the reason I bought the Element. Now you know why I thought of building a TTT. Let's see, if I build a pirough to go on top....
Barefoot
Teardrop Master

Postby Fenlason » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:54 pm

TallyCast wrote:My usual road ride is a LWB Rans Wave but occasionally, I captain on this tandem trike from Organic Engines.

I've been thinking about a single rider trike for awhile and have looked at a few. I'm especially interested in the Cat Trike (made in Florida) and the Trice from ICE.

sweet tandem.. I have been wanting one of those.. :thumbsup:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to Bicycles