Teardrop Mattress ???

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Postby eveningprimrose » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Jason and Amanda wrote:We just got the Walmart mattress too and recommend it highly. I got the queen size 8" memory foam mattress and it's a little tall but I still don't hit my head on the roof when sitting upright. My little guy is a 5 x 8 and we had to cut about 1.5" off the side of the mattress and about 4.5" off the end. Then I just rolled it up and cargo strapped the mattress in a roll and stuck it in the trailer and unrolled it, works wonderful!
Thanks for the info. I was looking at that one, on the Walmart website.
Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:38 am

Roberta,
I do not see my 8" mattress listed on the walmart.com site. I have seen it in my local stores. It's 5" high density plus 3" memory foam.

It's all folded up in a box that has wheels, like a suitcase. Once you open it and take it out of the plastic it springs to life!

Still the best purchase I made for the td.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eveningprimrose » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:56 am

I found this mattress on ebay. http://tinyurl.com/yccv7qn

It's from one of their "Safe Sellers" and has free shipping/handling. It looks like a good one ??? I read some really good reviews on Walmart's site, on the memory foam mattresses. Almost every one of them were rated 5 stars out of five, by the consumer.
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby Jason and Amanda » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 pm

6" is really the ideal height for little guy, my 8" feels great but it's a little tall. But after having the 8", I don't know if I'd trade it for a 6"... it's a really good nights sleep :)
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby eveningprimrose » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Jason and Amanda wrote:6" is really the ideal height for little guy, my 8" feels great but it's a little tall. But after having the 8", I don't know if I'd trade it for a 6"... it's a really good nights sleep :)
Well, if all else fails, I can always put the 2" memory foam topper, on top of the 6" mattress. :)
eveningprimrose
Teardrop Master

Postby Siouxgirl2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Okay, I have a question. I noticed that some of you have a big mattress and as much as that is what I'd love, I may be cutting my master bed area to be a convertable seating/dining area. If I do that, I see that some of you cut this mattress on the sides to fit. I am wondering if I could cookie cut this mattress into segments that can be positioned back into a large mattress and taken apart for the conversion. What do you think? Do you think it could still maintain a nice comfort?
Siouxgirl2
Teardrop Master

Postby Jason and Amanda » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:42 pm

That depends on if you plan to recover the sections of the mattress with fabric and how much abuse the mattress will take. Memory foam sleeps great but it doesn't stand up to wear well unless you cover each section with fabric. Memory foam tends to tear very easily if you catch on a corner of a board or anything like that.
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby Siouxgirl2 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:01 pm

Yes, thank you, it would be covered. It would technically be the upholstered portion of the dining area or seat covers and then when made into a bed the portions would fit on top together to form the mattress. I would cover it with upholstery fabric. It sounds like it might be okay to do that.

Loyal
Siouxgirl2
Teardrop Master

mattress

Postby spud233 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:10 pm

8) from donna ann..we started our td,first build last week.we are going with a memory foam mattress ,queen size.a little pricey but what the heck for a good nites sleep.we have found 2 and are deciding which way to go.kmart has 6 inch queen memory foam for 249...overstock .com has 8 inch queen memory foam for 325.for dollars may go with 6 inch but NO LESS
spud233
Teardrop Builder

Re: Teardrop Mattress ???

Postby Conestoga » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 pm

eveningprimrose wrote:... If you know of any air-mattresses that don't have to be aired-up every night, I would appreciate that info, too. BTW, we can't use the "double high" air mattresses, in the teardrop...just standard height...queen size.

That is how this thread started..

I prefer an air mattress for a number of reasons:
- lessens the dust mite problem (good for slobs with allergies).
- cool in the summer
- light, easy to maintain luxury

The only disadvantages IMO are
- the dog also prefers them
- heat loss on cool/cold nights. However I saw another thread here with solutions to remedy that.

We've been using the "Coleman 4-in-1 Quickbed" side by side. They only need a little added air and once a week at most. Last summer I was lucky enough to get a perfect seal on the valves and they didn't need air until almost a month later (slept on every night). That may be the trick with these air mattresses, I dunno.
Conestoga
Donating Member

Heavy???

Postby Kelleyaynn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:08 am

Aren't those foam mattresses HEAVY??? Seems like not what you'd want to put in a TD. I have a foam mattress in my bedroom, as does may son. They are heavy things. Wouldn't think the WalMart version would be much lighter, if at all (my son's came from IKEA).
Kelleyaynn
Teardrop Master

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm

i use an air mattress from walmart, i believe the cheap ozark ones and have never had a problem with needing to add air. i use it for tent camping.

i also use a queen one for my house bed with a topper on it and its the best, i only have to put air in it every so many months. all of my air mattresses are a couple of years old.

sorry you have that problem with yours. i know one morning we did end up on the ground, but i found out the problem was the valve came unscrewed. so once that was taken care of i have not had a problem.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Conestoga » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 pm

eaglesdare wrote:all of my air mattresses are a couple of years old.

sorry you have that problem with yours. i know one morning we did end up on the ground, but i found out the problem was the valve came unscrewed. so once that was taken care of i have not had a problem.

same here. so far so good after several years.
just one note of caution, keep pets with pointy claws off them. :roll:
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 am

Barn had a coleman tall queen air bed. I hated it with a passion. It slept ok but if you have to crawl across it forget it!

You can just get a glimpse of it in the above pic

We really wanted a couch that would convert to a bed so I went looking for foam and found a freecycle ad.

Hauled it home and sliced the full mattress in half. Here is the sofa frame

Homebuilt support pedestals and a wire futon support frame

Here is the sofa ( Ignore the support out front it is the center support for the bed it just tucks under the couch when not in bed mode)

here is the sofa reconfigured into a bed

but for the best nights sleep we still like our first effort in the teardrop . A a Serta pillowtop mattress. Had to be installed before I closed the nose and the only way it is coming out is in pieces but we both love it for a great nights sleep.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers