Frustrated w/food burning - is it the cookware or the stove?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby chorizon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:33 pm

oklahomajewel wrote:Susann.... next time , doing omelets for a group of 6 or more... try the RV Omelets with ziplocs bags... but you have to use the right kind of bags and cook for the FULLL 13 minutes. Works like a charm.

What's an RV omelet?
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby iplay10us2 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 pm

chorizon wrote:
oklahomajewel wrote:Susann.... next time , doing omelets for a group of 6 or more... try the RV Omelets with ziplocs bags... but you have to use the right kind of bags and cook for the FULLL 13 minutes. Works like a charm.

What's an RV omelet?

OMELETS IN A BAG

If you have a few camp guests, write your name on a quart-size freezer bag with permanent marker.
- Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) - Add a couple tablespoons of milk to keep omlets fluffy and moist.
Shake to combine them.
- Put out a variety of ingredients such as cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.
(Each person adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag, shakes it—making sure to remove the air from the bag, and zips it up).
- Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes.
(You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot; for more, make another pot of boiling water).
- Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily.
(Be prepared for everyone to be amazed).
It’s nice to serve these omelets with fresh fruit and coffee cake.
Everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby chorizon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Sounds fun! Thanks!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

cooking

Postby tjx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Julie,

For everyday cooking we carry a CI chicken fryer...it is so universal.
It is a frying pan with a lid...the lid is great for frying eggs, bacon or making pancakes. It is deep enough to cook cassarole (sp) type foods or noodle dishes, fry steaks, etc...
Even tho it doesn't have legs, we have used it outdoors on a trivet stand and cook like its a DO.
It's really nice for the two of us and this way we don't have to take the big DO's except when we go to prepare for a larger group of campers.

We also enjoy the Eggs in a bag breakfast....easy cleanup with using the boiling water for dishes. :thumbsup:

tina
tjx
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:02 pm

my guess is it is 'operator error'...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

It's the cookware

Postby TallyCast » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:34 pm

I agree with everything said about useless "camp" cooking gear. I've never found any nonstick plastic coated pans that are worth using. I use some cast iron at home and occasionally take a dutch oven and an iron tripod to cook over the fire. But for cooking on a gas stove, the best solution is a stainless steel pan with a cast iron or cast aluminum core. They're pricey, but lighter than pure cast iron and you never have to worry about rust. Expect to pay 50-80 US$ for a 10 inch. If you go for a name brand, probably more.

For the super lightweight crowd, I understand. I'm a sometimes bike tourist and take aluminum cookware but continually curse the tiny little frying pan. I am lusting after a titanium cook set for the bike.
TallyCast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Julie,
Cast Iron is what you need. :thumbsup:
If you continue to burn your food with cast iron...
Get a man to cook for you. :R

I know... I'm a stinker. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Re: cooking

Postby tearhead » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:28 pm

tjx wrote:Julie,

For everyday cooking we carry a CI chicken fryer...it is so universal.
It is a frying pan with a lid...the lid is great for frying eggs, bacon or making pancakes. It is deep enough to cook cassarole (sp) type foods or noodle dishes, fry steaks, etc..

I just googled cast iron chicken fryer and all the ones I found had lids with handles. What brand is yours? Can you describe your lid a little more, TJX?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:07 am

Well, ..... the latest...

I took one of my regular old 13'' teflon skillets from the kitchen, this weekend at a campout my friend with me was making fried potatoes & onions for the potluck. Doing them in the skillet, plus some more in the camping cookware sauce pan. Seems the ones in the skillet worked fine but the fancy coleman cookware, stuck.

Next to me was Jenny, making cheesy corn, and using a very similar stove and she complained that she can never seem to regulate it... and things burn too much. She was using a regular Teflon sauce pan from home.

I found an old deep electric skillet at the thrift store for $5. I'm gonna try that one weekend.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby tearhead » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:30 pm

I recently discovered how helpful a simmer mat or plate can be. I use one at home on my gas range but it should work equally well on a coleman or other type of camp stove. Basically it distributes the heat and allows you to cook things essentially at a lower temp so they won't burn. Go to amazon and search for simmer mat. Costs $17. But iron would probably accomplish the same thing!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Uncle Chan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:09 am

My first serious outing with the teardrop saw many 'a burned eggs and such over the gas stove using "cheap" cookware. On my most recent outing going elk hunting, I chose to bring my $150.00 Pampered Chef wok. NOTHING, and I reapeat NOTHING was burned. Everything cooked evenly. You get what you pay for. I'll always have my wok on any outings in the future.
Uncle Chan
Uncle Chan
Teardrop Master

Postby UP&ATOM » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:09 pm

OMELETS IN A BAG

If you have a few camp guests, write your name on a quart-size freezer bag with permanent marker.
- Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) - Add a couple tablespoons of milk to keep omlets fluffy and moist....

Just so you know - I'm stealing this idea and claiming it as my own!

Brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing...

Cheers,
Jamie, Kat and Jager the Wonderdog
Southeastern, N.C.
2009 Aliner Alite camper
2005 Honda Element

Camping adventures: http://picasaweb.google.com/jmoncriefatec.rr.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jamie.moncrief
UP&ATOM
Teardrop Builder

Re: Fried Steak!

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:01 pm

caseydog wrote:
I'll try just about any food once, and I've discovered a lot of good food by trying regional favorites. An open mind often leads to a happy stomach. :thumbsup:

CD

Yup, you gotta have an open mind, however, fried foods are notorious artery cloggers and although they taste good, they are not good for you. I'm not a fanatic, but I like grilled chicken and meat as much or more than fried stuff, it's better for you, so that's how I cook it. I've even figured out out to make hash browns in the oven with a minimum of oil and they taste pretty good.

However, I occasionally sucomb to the need for some onion rings or french fries (but not too often).

Always openminded but I know what I like and want what I want.

Back to burning food in pots and pans: Simply put: the thicker the pot or pan, the better. There (currently) is no better substitute for thermal mass to evenly distribute the heat.

Again, the world according to Gus.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:10 pm

I have had exceptional luck with an 8'' CI skillet but yes, a Coleman stove wants a simmer ring.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon May 24, 2010 2:23 pm

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets