Any chuck box users?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Chuck Box

Postby Alfred » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:47 pm

FireLion wrote:Shipping weight is 30 lbs!! Fill it with food, cookware, and eating gear and then just try to lift it. Hmmmm........ :thinking:

I haven't weighed mine, but it sure does not seem like 30lbs. I bought it for a very specific purpose of organizing some of my kitchen stuff. I want to incorporate it into my build, and I liked the idea of an organized storage component that I can move out of the way when I scoot the sliding bunk-bed back into the galley area for the kids to sleep.

I don't know that I will be putting a lot of food in it. I was thinking more the utensils, spices, silverware, etc. We'll see. If it turns out it is not useful, then I'll move on to the next idea.

AL. :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:58 pm

I know this is an old topic but when it was new I couldn't find the photos of my Chuck Box.

Well I just found them.

Back in 01 or 02 I built a rear entrance tear.

All my friends nick-named it the Pac-Man.

Obviously there was no room for a rear galley.

So I built a Box, but it had to hold everything.

I never wanted it to be free standing, because I figured I could place it at the end of a Picnic table.

But for the few times I did use it free standing I used a restaurant waiters stand to put it on.

By making it 32" wide (to store the stove) instead of the normal 24" wide it became a 2 man operation. I just couldn't get my arms around it....it wasn't heavy, just awkward.

Anyway the Box and the Trailer are both gone now.

BUT!

With the way I camp in my Scotty (everything outside) and how inconvenient it is to go in and out of the trailer for things a new Camp/Chuck/Patrol Box may be in order.

BTW, don't be so quick to jump from a Teardrop to a Standie. That rear Galley is real handy....Besides, at a gathering with all your friends you can always go outside to put your pants on. :lol: :lol:

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby fireaunt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:23 pm

Len, that's really nice eye candy - that is TD and camp box. 8)

Fireaunt
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby hiker chick » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Love that chuck box!

And what a cute trailer. No wonder they called it Pac-Man.

:lol:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lawnjockey » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Those are some cool boxes!!! I have been camping with wall tents for years and we use various wood boxes for kitchen stuff and food. Some we made and others we have purchased. My latest score was a couple that came from the Los Alamos Lab. They are very well made, those guys know how to make a good box. Although I am not sure I believe it, I was told they were made for plutonium pits back in the day. I would hate to let a good box go to watse but for food storage... Maybe I'll use them for tools.

Jocko
Lawnjockey
Teardrop Master

Postby Greg M » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:25 pm

Nah, use them for food storage. Nothing will ever spoil :)

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby Alfred » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:27 am

Greg M wrote:Nah, use them for food storage. Nothing will ever spoil :)

-Greg

...And the meals will come pre-heated, right out of the chuck box...

...And since the food will glow, you can save the expense of the lantern...

...If any of the food explodes in there, just remember to "duck and cover"...

...I once saw a US Civil Defense film from the 1950's that assured me radiation or "radioactivity" is completely safe...

AL. :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby jnich77 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:51 pm

I wish they imported to the US:

http://www.drifta.com.au/
jnich77
Teardrop Inspector

Postby fireaunt » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Those Aussies are really ingenious. Very interesting :)

fireaunt
fireaunt
500 Club

Postby TheresaD » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Len, I've been thinking the same thing about not having an outdoor kitchen w/ the Scotty.That was what I liked best about the teardrops when I first got into this crazy obsession. I considered modifying the rear of the trailer to open out from the rear gaucho area but as this is my first project I decided best not to.Plus I didn't want to ruin the original Scotty design. After looking at the link for the Austrailian pull out model kitchen I got to thinking...Do you think something like this could work as a pull out from the cargo door on the side of the trailer? The height would be too low to set it up attached to the trailer. But how about if it stored under the gaucho and slid out of the cargo door so that it could be opened up right there next to the trailer? On quick study the measurements look like they could work or they could be adjusted slightly. It would give a similar function to a galley and prevent having to go into the trailer "kitchen" for anything. I know it would take up storage under the bed but alot of that would have been used for kitchen stuff anyway (for me anyway I think). I haven't gotten far enough through my "remodel" to really determine if this would be practical, but you have. What say you oh Great Guru of TT building?? practical or not?
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:08 am

Los Alamos boxes?

Do they do a surplus auction?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby jnich77 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:29 am

fireaunt wrote:Those Aussies are really ingenious. Very interesting :)

fireaunt

I have a small pop up that when i build a longer frame for it I am thinking of using some of there designs to make a pull out kitchen for the front of it.
jnich77
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:08 am

TheresaD wrote:Len, I've been thinking the same thing about not having an outdoor kitchen w/ the Scotty.That was what I liked best about the teardrops when I first got into this crazy obsession. I considered modifying the rear of the trailer to open out from the rear gaucho area but as this is my first project I decided best not to.Plus I didn't want to ruin the original Scotty design. After looking at the link for the Austrailian pull out model kitchen I got to thinking...Do you think something like this could work as a pull out from the cargo door on the side of the trailer? The height would be too low to set it up attached to the trailer. But how about if it stored under the gaucho and slid out of the cargo door so that it could be opened up right there next to the trailer? On quick study the measurements look like they could work or they could be adjusted slightly. It would give a similar function to a galley and prevent having to go into the trailer "kitchen" for anything. I know it would take up storage under the bed but alot of that would have been used for kitchen stuff anyway (for me anyway I think). I haven't gotten far enough through my "remodel" to really determine if this would be practical, but you have. What say you oh Great Guru of TT building?? practical or not?

Brilliant!

Theresa
I had the same thought and am waiting to get my Scotty in the shop to start poking around with the idea.

I have a better situation than most original Scottys, I moved and reduced the size of my "Seldom used" potable water tank to the front.

So I have through storage under the Goucho side to side with a door on both sides.

behind these doors on either side I have already built storage "Box's" that slide in and out.

The Drawer/box will be mounted on a 200lb full extension drawer glide. That will get the thing out there (maybe an adjustable leg once it gets out there).

Now I've got a box, extended 36" past the side of the trailer.

Now all I have to do is design something folding/collapsible somethin..somethin to stand about 36" above the ground to look and act like a Chuck Box.

I'll keep you posted.

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby BobR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:26 pm

jnich77 wrote:I wish they imported to the US:

I believe they will ship to the US. There are a couple of testimonials on their site from outside Australia including one from WA state. Contact them and see.
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:24 pm

jnich77 wrote:I wish they imported to the US:

Check out:

http://www.blueskykitchen.com/

From good 'ole USA :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member