Single women with kid(s) and a teardrop?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Single women with kid(s) and a teardrop?

Postby StLouisDyan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi

I am single and have a 3 year old daughter -- I am thinking next Spring/Summer (when she is 4) we will start with weekend camping and I am trying to figure out which teardrop might work for us. Are there other single ladies out there who camp with kids and what do you find works best for you?

Dyan in St Louis
StLouisDyan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pam Wright » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:31 am

Hi Dyan~

I am single and have camped with Brandie (now almost 13), my grandaughter and Brandon (now 8) for the last 4 years. I works great! they used to both sleep in my 5 X 8 with me.... now Brandie sleeps in the back of the van, not because she won't fit but she likes having her 'own' space now. I suggest for you to "do it"!!!! the trip there and back is quality time!!!! and the adventures can never be forgotten!

Check out the pictures in my album of the 3 week - 3300 mile trip we made July 2008!

Have fun!

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby StLouisDyan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Great Pics Pam and thanks for the encouragement
StLouisDyan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kayaklover » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:56 am

I am single and have camped for years with my 4 kids. We love it !
It is a cheap fun way to take a family vacation. As the kids got older they just slept in a tent or the back of the mini-van. I started taking them camping as babies and they had no choice but to go.
Now they are older and set up their own tent and can build a great campfire.
I was always amazed at the way they would fight at home but when out camping they got along great and really bonded together. I think it was having no tv, video games, or phone to fight over. They always had a great time.
:vroom: :ilovecamp: :campfire:
Lori
Co-Director
St. Croix Tearjerkers
kayaklover
Teardrop Master

Postby Siouxgirl2 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm pretty much single. My husband is gone 6-8 months at a time working out of state so I take my daughter camping when he's gone. When he's here then we go as a family. I figure if I wait on him to come home then her life has half gone and we haven't had to experiences. We trailer camp when Dad is here and when he's gone then we have a little tiny 2 man tent that we share. I'm just getting the idea to build so we can have our own camper. I'm an older Mom and that little two man is fine but I hurt a few days afterwards. ;)
Siouxgirl2
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:40 am

When we had kids and not much money, we felt we wanted to spend money on memories for the kids not things. Camping filled that bill well.
Choices, how big, few wish they had a smaller tear, ours is a six wide and we love it that large, many have a five wide or wish they did. Amenities run from bare bones nothing e.g. Little Guy to running hot water lots of room and storage, e.g. Camp-Inn and Mega-Mini.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:03 pm

I camped and hiked with my kids from birth. It was all I could afford. They learned to fish too. The one thing I found most useful was a porta potty. Especially with the girls. They always had to go when the weather got bad or it was real dark. :lol:

You can build a 5 wide and share, make a bunk for the child when hubby visits and get a side tent for the potty. Be sure you are in a safe campground. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Conestoga » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:59 am

Hello and :thumbsup: to everyone who goes camping with kids.. I cannot imagine childhood without outdoors fun and camping.

We (one large & one small adult) just got back from a long trip with our simple 4x8 lightweight camper-trailer. In my opinion this is a perfect thing for a single adult with a young child. And a dog if you have one. I would say just bring a tent for the older kids as the others have mentioned.

We were one size too big for this trailer, but here's why light and narrow is great: I am small and skinny and I can roll and move the trailer as needed. You don't need help to hitch it, the intimidation factor is minimal. You just get close with the car and bully the trailer around to where it needs to go. Plus the narrow width is a breeze to tow and it tracks well. If it's your first time towing a camper down the highway you'll probably appreciate that as much as I did.

However for warm summer nights, my favorite is still going to be a tall family tent for that cool roomy space... and air mattresses for the old bones. :D
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm married but take my kids camping for a month every July (hubby has to work). I live in Maryland and when my kids ages were 9,7 and 2 I drove to the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. We camped in a tent for a month. The next trip west I had a 17 foot trailer...to heavy. This summer I'll take our newly built teardrop. My kids love traveling and camping with mom. Spend as much time as you can with them when they are young because they grow up to fast.
doris s.
500 Club

Return to Lady Teardroppers