The Reese Solo Hitch Alignment System

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

The Reese Solo Hitch Alignment System

Postby Gaelen » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:49 pm

It looks really silly in the package.
Silly. Brilliant!
Okay, it's two neon-colored tennis ball on the equivalent of telescoping radio antennae, with magnet mounts so that they hold on the trailer tongue nose and on the hitch just by the ball.
http://tinyurl.com/lxfusy
It's such a simple idea that I wonder why I never picked one up before.
With the S-10, I could back up almost perfectly the first time (key word: 'almost') Then there was the jockeying to put the hitch over the ball on the back of the bumper.

So I splurged and spent the $19.99 at Walmart this week, ready to hitch the Sunspot to the Jeep Patriot and my new hitch for the first time.
It took ONE TRY. Straight back, no getting out of the car for a visual check and then jockeying back and forth to get it just right. Hitching up took all of 2 minutes. I did get out of the car once because I didn't trust that it was that accurate. It was dead on.

Now...hooking up the trailer wiring plug to the new wiring harness was a little more traumatic, and my safety chains were like an inch too short. I think the boys at the Jeep dealership had a contest to figure out how awkwardly they could place the connect point for the wiring harness...I'm just guessing. As soon as I tried to press on it, it disappeared inside the shielding, so I had to fish it out. Discovered plenty of harness...so putting it right next to the hitch receiver would have been way too easy, right? Yep. it's tucked up underneath the back bumper and some sort of heat shield. Glad I picked up a wiring pigtail when I got my new hitch so that I'd have a couple extra inches to play with -- and as soon as I've got some time, I'll extend that harness. As for the chains, it's a good thing there's a Tractor Supply around the corner from the garage where I store the trailer; one of the guys came out, took a look at the chains and then helped me extend them with some extra links so they could be hooked up correctly.

Meanwhile, the Solo Hitch helped me with do absolutely the easiest hitchup I've done in a long time. I moved the trailer again this morning, just to see if it had been a fluke. This morning in daylight was even simpler. These things are worth every cent of the $20 -- get to a Walmart or order them from the RV link I included, or put mount two old antennae on a pair of magnets and put tennis balls on top if you're handy. Could be the nicest thing I've done for myself lately. (I need to get out more!)
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:03 pm

I love it!

I am going to order one, because I probably get in and out of my car at least 5 times when trying to back up and hook up.

Thanks for posting it.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby robertaw » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:52 pm

I've seen these online before and thought about buying. I was a little confused about the placement of them since I never saw a picture before and couldn't understand how they could be accurate.

Glad to see a pic on the url you posted. Now I know for sure I will buy some! :applause:
Roberta
robertaw
500 Club

Postby willik » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:29 pm

HF has them for $10 right now.
"I take comfort in the general unfairness of the universe." -- JMS
willik
Teardrop Master

Postby SandyD » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:34 pm

I just purchased mine and will use them the first time Thursday morning when I go a travelin...... I'm happy to hear they worked for you and I hope to have the same success !!
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:43 pm

My hitch alignment system is audible as well as visual - It my wife motioning me back and hollering out distance and direction as well as proximity :lol: :lol: Cost: priceless after 25 yrs together
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Gaelen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Well, while the 'audible' hitch alignment system is certainly 'priceless' :) the Solo Hitch is really helpful for those of us working...um...solo.
I haven't been able to teach either dog to give me back-up cues. Yet.

Placement: I put mine on on the tongue just behind the ball cover (nearer to the trailer), and on the hitch just behind the hitch ball (nearer to the car). That way, when the tongue was exactly where it needed to be, the one mounted on the hitch started to bend backward toward the rear window of my truck.

Moved the trailer a third time today. One backup, one hitchup, 2 minutes.
It would figure that they'd be on sale at HF, but I don't have one of them near me. The time and aggravation saved is worth the $20.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby iplay10us2 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:20 am

I bought one of these and tried it for the first time yesterday. It works just great! Thanks so much for sharing your find of this product.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 am

That Audible hitch alignment system is what caused me to buy the optional camera for my truck. For some reason, my wife thinks that the vehicle can move 90 degrees to the side to line up with the hitch. The audible navigator is also why I got a DVD/Nav system too.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:44 am

It's amazing that with my Scotty, with a tongue weight of 245 lbs, only one audible is needed. Maybe that's because I know I can't lift the tongue and move it around. :lol: :lol:

Now that's a luxury I have with my td's tongue weight at about 90-100 lbs.
I can simply bring the td to the tow vehicle.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Anne » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Don't need a hitch alignment system with my Rollahome - just pull the hitch around til I have it the way I want it. However, I did get the 2 yellow balls from WM. There is only aluminum and fiberglass on the little camper, so I had to adhere a couple of small magnet strips on the roof.

When I back it up, I can't see where it is without the yellow balls. With them, it is so simple to see, aim and back up to the spot I want.

Thanks to you all for the idea
Anne
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:31 am

...link to Harbor Freight sale coupons for a 9.99 version............... 8)
HF clicky clicky
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Lady Teardroppers