How Important is the Kitchen to a Teardropper?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

How Important is the Kitchen to a Teardropper?

Postby hausfrau60 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm looking forward to having the best camping kitchen ever in the back of my small cargo trailer teardrop-like conversion. I can't stand clutter and disorganization in my "work space" while camping and I really love to cook outside. So my question to you all is "How important is the kitchen setup to you and how did you make your teardrop meet your unique needs?"
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:30 pm

I wanted a bare bones galley... 14" deep counter, storage underneath.. no sink, no water, nothing fancy, just a work area. Came out just the way I wanted it.

If you wish to see it, go to the link below and click on the left side on any page that says 'galley'.....

I carry a 2x4 foot table from sams that I use for stove, eating, etc.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby b.bodemer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:52 pm

80" of my 8' trailer were for the queen mattress in my cabin. That left a smaller bottom shelf but I think I still came out with a organized galley. Last year I even took items out that I really didn't need.

In camp I also can add my two side tables to give the galley an even more open feeling with lots of room.

Have fun with your design and ideas. Besides food prep and cooking the galley is a popular place to hang out.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I am also simple minded -- er, I mean I like things simple. :oops:

Countertop with stove and coffeemaker. Shelf with Home Depot organizer full of my cooking tools and cutlery. Big Rubbermaid tub with pots, pans and other stuff. Side table hooks on at the campsite for grilling or extra counter space.

Food is stored in the raccoon-proof confines of my tow vehicle.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Do I use my galley, and is it important to me...Yes. Do I use it as a galley to cook in...No.

I think that just having a spot to store everything kitchen related in is my galley's
number one purpose.

When I used to cook in there, it really made a mess. I now set my stove up on another table

I have learned 2 things over the years camping.

1. The only thing I NEED a stove for is first morning coffee. Yes a stove is a nice convenience and I do use it for other things but Lunches are sandwiches and dinners are done over a fire.

I mention the stove because I use it so little that I just can't justify "Building it in".

2. Unless you want to be constantly cleaning and wiping, don't do any cooking in your galley.

In a recent thread a lot of us agreed that we never really "Cooked" in the galley, but just boiled water.

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:51 pm

I am reporting as the recipient of the results of our galley, and as the one who has assisted in the design of our next one. Our Mega-Mini came with a copy of the grasshopper design with three hatches in the back, with a couple of exceptions. It has a 14 gallon water supply and a water heater.
The next MM has a single galley hatch and cupboards and drawers designed by Nancy. My alterations include a pull out sprayer faucet, larger sink, and stainless steel stove top cover.
What this means to Nancy is, ease of preparing and cleaning up of meals. What took an hour or more tent camping is now no more than what it would be at home. The cabinetry she designed means she has a place to store things and does not have to take out bins of stuff and have to sort through to find...
Universally wives have loved the prospect of hot water and plenty of storage. Galleys are often one of the truly distinctive feathers of a galley of a teardrop, many very beautifully and creatively done, and just plain fun.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:56 pm

It's funny that the subject of hot water comes up right now. I debating whether I am going to put a bonafide hot water heater in the next trailer...

Other than that, I would have to refer you to the gallery of galleries. Only I can't find the link right now... Anyone have it handy?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Alleged User » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby asianflava » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:41 pm

I don't like to actually cook in my galley, too much wood and too much fire doesn't really apeal to me. Plus, cleaning up splatters and things isn't something I like to do either.

I usually cook on an outside table or a BBQ separate from the galley. I use the galley as a prep area and a place to store all the cooking stuff.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Not only will the next MM have a water heater but it is a 6gal gas electric. actually we could have stayed with the 4 gal but you have to move up to the six to get the electric, as long as you are plugged into shore power why use gas.
Seriously this the one feature Nancy would not want to do with out. Vacations for her were not real restful until we got the MM, it allows her to unwind rather than just unravel. how do you want to spend your time :relaxing:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby hausfrau60 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:16 pm

I just bought the Coleman Hot Water on Demand for my trailer. It's a hot water heater and water pump all in one unit. It will also double as a shower if I get the hose attachment, and if I can connect to a garden hose at the campsite, I don't even need a water container. I can also attach it to a big propane tank instead of the little ones if I want to. (a used stainless steel sink with a drain to the outside will go in as well so I have a large area to clean up and for prep work...don't need a faucet as the Coleman unit provides that).

I also bought a large 12volt Coleman Cooler ($10 at a local thrift store) with 110 adapter. Works great.

One more extravagance: a Camp Chef Stove/Oven.

Going whole-hog here, I know, but I'm using the money from the sale of the tent trailer to fund my obsession. I really like to cook for my family and with an arthritic back, I can no longer cook over a fire or dump large basins of water. This, I hope, will make things a lot easier!

And I love the galley gallery. What a source of inspiration!
hausfrau60
Teardrop Builder

Postby caseydog » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:37 pm

len19070 wrote:Do I use my galley, and is it important to me...Yes. Do I use it as a galley to cook in...No.

I think that just having a spot to store everything kitchen related is my galley's
is its number one purpose.

When I used to cook in there, I now set my stove up on another table it really made a mess.

I have learned 2 things over the years camping.

1. The only thing I NEED a stove for is first morning coffee. Yes a stove is a nice convenience and I do use it for other things but Lunches are sandwiches and dinners are done over a fire.

I mention the stove because I use it so little that I just can't justify "Building it in".

2. Unless you want to be constantly cleaning and wiping, don't do any cooking in your galley.

In a recent thread a lot of us agreed that we never really "Cooked" in the galley, but just boiled water.

Happy Trails

Len

I cook breakfast in my galley. Usually sausage and eggs with a hot cup of coffee. One stove burner, one pan, one plate and a fork. I could do it on an open fire, but why? Eggs cook fast, and in a pan, so the heat source is irrelevant.

Dinner is usually cooked on my Weber Smokey Joe grill. I often then use the red-hot charcoal to start a campfire. But, sometimes I will cook up something special in the galley if I find good ingredients. At LCG3, I cooked up some fresh shrimp with fresh veggies one night because it looked too damn good not to cook it.

I sometimes cook a steak over the accumulated coals of a campfire, and it is really tasty. The difference between that and a steak cooked on my charcoal grill is probably all in my head, but so what. It is fun to cook on the open fire, and if my mind wants to believe it tastes better, then why not.

I had an extra coffeemaker, so I take it camping with me for that wake-up cup-o-joe.

I am a foodie, and like to cook at home and when camping. I use my galley, and my grill, and my campfire. Whatever it takes to make good eats. :thumbsup:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:37 pm

...our galley is for storage only...I don't want all the splatters/grease/cooking smells/ect in the galley...I use a couple of portable tables or the campground picnic table to cook on...I can set up a full kitchen with plenty of room that way and not be limited to just the galley area...once again, the nicest things about teardrops is the ability to doit your own customized way..............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:40 pm

My TD was created as a means of fishing longer so it has a minimal galley. It is big so lots of room. I store food in the truck and other stuff in the galley. The counter is used mostly for my coffee pot and the fixins. I do have an electric hot plate and the counter is accessable from the inside. Can make coffee or a meal from inside. :thumbsup:

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby dreadcptflint » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:27 am

Our Galley is a huge deal. The primary reason that we picked ours was because of the sink. Our TD is six feet wide so we have more counter space in our teardrop than our home. We keep adding and changing our kitchen line up so it is still very flexible. For example, last year we threw out our old knifes and added some folding knives.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers