Cargo Trailer / Toy Hauler / Camper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Cargo Trailer / Toy Hauler / Camper

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:02 pm

:)

A bit of history on my side to help understand this project. I moonlight from my Creative Design job as a high performance motorcycle riding instructor. This job has several requirements, one is that I need to haul my race bike/gear to tracks throughout the Midwest, as many as 2x/month during the spring/summer/fall. Previously I had been using a little 4x7 flatbed towed behind my Silverado. While this presents a certain level of convenience, it also posed some issues. Loading and unloading the trailer/truck 2x per event was time consuming and a lengthily checklist was needed so that I didn’t forget anything (my memory is terrible). Also, my equipment was exposed to the elements as well as visible/accessible to thieves while in transit.

As the events (trackdays) are often a three day affair, I would either have to tent camp at the track, or get a hotel room. These also have their ups/downs. While tent camping is fun, I’m looking for a little more luxury due to the frequency of my events and the fact that my girlfriend (who accompanies me 75% of the time) isn’t always keen on the idea. Staying in a hotel is costly (for what you get) and having to drive to and from the hotel/track eats into my fun time.

The answer for me, as it is for many who attend trackdays, is to utilize an enclosed trailer to haul the equipment as well as provide shelter at night. The project will start with a steel frame Carry On brand 6x12 V-nose. It has a single 35oo lb. axle with 15â€
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33463
What if you were a cow and you had a cup of coffee?
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby McTeardrops » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Captain

Sir: I recall a project by one of the dirtbike magazines, decades ago. They ripped a dodge van in half, then added a center section, to build out to eight foot width. They installed a sliding, cantilevered deck, which held three dirtbikes, lengthwise, with toolboxes and supplies at the front. The whole assembly slid out the back, allowing loading/unloading the bikes, a workspace with comfortable access to the bikes and stored tools. The area, from the second seat back, above the bikes, was sealed off from the passenger compartment. Mattress went above

Something similar might work for your trailer. The sliding decks are available commercially. Just remembered when you could recognise a fellow biker by the handlebar-shaped hole in his van's rear window.
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby rebapuck » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 pm

I think you should consider windows as a light source during the day. A very small one or two, high up, would keep things secure and still out of sight.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:08 pm

Hmmm... A sliding deck, never really thought of that but it would increase the useable area. A good suggestion, I'll have to look into that and see if it would be a reasonable modification. :thumbsup:

I did think about windows, though while creating the initial layout of how much avalable wall space vs the cabint/large item locations, I had ruled out installing a window. But now you've got me thinking, has anyone ever installed a window in the side door? I suppose it's possible with a little framework. :twisted: I'll have to pull the ply off the door to see what I'd be getting into.
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:09 am

Update: for the start of my electrical design, see this thread - http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33719

A work in progress!
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:37 pm

Captain,

From the rear to where the V-nose starts, isn't that 10 feet?

BTW, nice deep V-nose for extra interior room!

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Interior length from the rear wall to where the vnose starts is 11.2 feet. Overall interior length from the rear wall to the tip of the v is 13.8 feet. :)
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby digimark » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:25 pm

I second the suggestion about adding a window on the door side somewhere, for security reasons, even if a very small one. If you are sleeping in the trailer and you hear a noise outside, you can look without having to open the door. Safer.
--
-- Gary Goldberg/Chesapeake Beach, MD/KA3ZYW
-- http://www.digimark.net/og/
digimark
Teardrop Master

Postby Prem » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Interior length from the rear wall to where the vnose starts is 11.2 feet. Overall interior length from the rear wall to the tip of the v is 13.8 feet.

8) Cool! It gets licensed as a 12-footer and you actually get almost 14' on the interior.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:50 pm

I think it's the right size for what I need... I just registered it in the state of Mi. Didn't need a title as it's under 2500 lbs. So it was just a matter of getting registration...and paying the sales tax.
Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby Capt. Home Slice » Wed May 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Not sure this is in the right forum now.. (mods feel free to move it)

Anyways, finally an update to the project. :) I've started building the fold down bed (queen sized), it's not quite finished or what I'd planned. I began the project thinking I would just use a 4" memory foam mattress, but as it turns out, that wasn't enough padding for my comfort level. So I purchased an 8" three layer foam mattress - Firm/medium/memory foam. The whole contraption folds down along one pivot point. This will still give me room to load two motorcycles in the trailer with the bed in the up position. I've also added a inside lock for the side door, a fire extinguisher, flashlight, mirror (for my girlfriend) and clock. Still need to add the folding legs and a few extra cross supports for the plywood.

My toolbox is anchored as well as a temporary "closet" for my gear. That will change once I can build the shelving etc... in the front.

Here are a few pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Capt. Home Slice
Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Thu May 27, 2010 1:05 am

your on your way; I bought a 6X10 for the same purpose originally!

I installed 2 windows in my CT and it made a world of difference; with a little planning there easy to install and find places for. One thing i wish I did was get trasom opening as opposed to 1/2 sliders. It would be most difficult for someone to get through the little windows i installed and I have blinds over for prying eyes.

Check out my album for ideas. Also and the CT area theres TONES of variations and ideas ...
I have some electrical ideas also
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals