Quazi-ultralight the undertaking

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Quazi-ultralight the undertaking

Postby RogHodge » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:15 pm

I will make sawdust- honest. However I need to have clear direction before I do. And I’ll need to make some sparks first. I purchased the HF ‘half ton’ trailer with 8â€
Last edited by RogHodge on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Congratulations Rog,

Your build is underway! :thumbsup: :applause: :D
Take your time and enjoy the construction.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: ‘Quazi-ultralight’ the undertaking

Postby bobhenry » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 am

RogHodge wrote: If any one with design skills would like to make a computer animation of this feel free

Looks kinda familiar

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:33 pm

here ya' go RogHodge, this is what I have so far from your drawing - however, i could not see your dimensions to Put it in scale to do a full 3-d rendering and put it on a harbor freight trailer :thinking:

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby RogHodge » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:03 am

Okay Pastor- You are my new best friend! :D :applause:
I will provide a better drawing/improve the one I posted already and post it soon- like tomorrow morning. 8)
If I could only heed Luke 14:28
:worship:
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby dwgriff1 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:44 am

love that profile.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby RogHodge » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks Dave- Your tear has been an inspiration. I will probably paint in a similar fashion. I hope I can come close to the quality of your build!

I have updated the profile – better sketch. The small squares represent 1â€
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Made an assumption to complete the scale – I’m assuming that it’s 4 foot wide (if not then I can adjust)
Anyways, here it is to scale
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Dean_A » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Roger,

No need to make the roof thicker than you want. You can cut the plastic trim ring on the fan down, and if that's not enough, just add a little wood molding around the fan to give the roof a little more thickness.
Dean_A
Gold Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:28 am

Mr. Stewart- you are my hero- :) Yes it will be 4’ wide, the galley hatch will stop at the counter, small easy(er). I might make an access door on the side in the back – for a battery compartment. I think one door- again easier and weight savings, albeit very little.
Dean- You are correct, sometimes the easy answer evades us. I over think everything sometimes. :?
Admin guys- I think I should put this in a build journal, I think. Can someone do their magic and move this? :thumbsup:
This morning :coffee: I put together a comparison of pre and post axle flip. Here is what you can expect when you swap out 12â€
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:57 pm

....mooooooved Rog............................................. 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby caffeine » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:23 pm

Looking good Rog!
The complete curve is smart when building light (looks great too). The flat parts on my front and back are fine, but I regret the flat spot I made on top. The 1/8 materials just have no structure without the bow and it was a bear to do on my lonesome.
Eric

A morning without coffee is like sleep.
caffeine
Teardrop Builder

Postby grizz » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:17 pm

I started with 5x10 ply, but also needed to cover over the chassis, as it is pretty ugleeee !

Love simple changes like the over or under slung suspension.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RogHodge » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Still working on the frame, hopefully I’ll get a chance to do some work and put up more pictures- Here is the link to the axle inversion- http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33550
It was an interesting process- Also I’m going to try to find replacement bearings at NAPA or ??? Seems that HF is out of stock and won’t get them for over a month- grease seals- same thing- hub cap- same thing. :x

I’m thinking about eliminating all but the first and last cross members- What do you think?

The floor would be 1/8-3/4- 1/8 ‘torsion box’ I might step up to ¼ if needed. I might also set the 1x2s on edge- stiffer don’t you know- but I would lose some space. As I write this I’m thinking the weight savings would more than offset the thicker ply. :thinking:
Maybe ¼ on the bottom and 1/8 in the interior. Your thoughts
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Quick update-
I have been pondering how to reassemble the frame- I think I will put some bed frame angle in the sides and bolt it all together. I posted this over in the chassis section but not much in response.
I repacked the bearings and assembled the hubs today- I tried to pack via vacuum pressure. I put the bearings in a ‘foodsaver’ bag and vacuumed the air out and sealed the bag. After it was all said and done I don’t think it was worth the hassle- I ended up hand packing the grease in there anyway just to make sure. It would be a great way to pack extra bearings though. Finally you will see the completed product- in shinny hammered black rustoleum.
BTW- many thanks to Mr. Stewart. He sent me a sketch-up file of my tear- it is really cool to be able to see my completed project in 3D. Thank You!
And Happy Thanksgiving
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals