6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper"

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6X12 Haulmark "Fly Fishing Camper"

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:55 pm

I just updated my progress after 9 years!! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33924&start=135#p1242788

Original post somehow got deleted, but here's my 6X12 haulmark V-nose.
Last edited by Gonefishin on Wed May 20, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:06 pm

Now we’re at $3,361, have a very functional trailer, and will be sleeping as good as in ANY rv, motel bed, or even my bed at home.

A steal for sure. A real home away from home. Ya dun good.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:40 pm

I too would like to build but your idea seems well thought out.

Did you work with a dealer or directly with the factory?

I want a 7X12 ramp doors in back for my mobility scooter.

The cheapest one I can find starts at a higher price than you have invested into yours.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kixwy2 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:12 am

I like the way you've documented the pricing - very handy for those of us contemplating our future build. And thanks for the link on bed frames - I'm looking for a trick way to get a sofa/couch without all the extraneous gak that usually comes with convertible sofas...

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Also, do you have an IKEA or OSH nearby? They usually have pretty good and relatively inexpensive pre-fabbed cabinets in a semi-industrial vein.
Kixwy2
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:24 am

Pete: I actually got that price through a dealer. There are several Haulmark dealers on the Wasatch Front of Utah, so I'm sure that helped. I did go to all three, and their quotes were all within a few hundred dollars. There's also some other brands about 20 percent cheaper, but to me, they were built 30 percent less-rugged. Haulmark seemed like "middle of the road" pretty good quality. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

As for a 7X12 with a ramp, we did look at those pretty seriously too. While that extra foot of width was very attractive and noticeable when we walked inside, I found that they all come with dual axles, and that adds about $800 right off the top. The 7-footer also had a wider footprint behind my F-150, and I wanted to keep it about like the trucks for tight places and better aerodynamics in the famous winds of Wyoming.

But even the same trailer I bought, 6 X 12, only with a dual axle, was about $800 more, which is why we decided we could live with a single. My preference would have been a dual axle for sure though. Also, with Haulmark, the ramp door is an upgrade, so that's probably adding a few hundred.

Those are likely the differences you're seeing between my 6X12 and a 7X12 with a ramp. Dual axle and ramp door is an upgrade.

As for my idea being well thought out, yeah, I did think about it quite a bit from about mid-July until ordering in October. However, almost every "thought" I had during the process stemmed from something I saw or read on this site. It's pretty much turning into a copy-cat job, with a few little personal preferences and short-cuts tossed in. :lol:

I really admire some of the building and handi-work many on here put into their trailers. I'm just not that handy when it comes down to cutting, screwing, leveling, supporting, nailing, and designing. Its just not my "thing", so I'm buying my way around most of that, all but the basics. :oops: Some of the work on here is just gorgeous though.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 am

Kixwy: There's an Ikea in the SLC area, so next time I'm down there (next week), I'll give them a look. I don't think a couple of small cabinets will be too tough with a little shopping around. I was going to start at Lowes/Home Depot just to see, since I need some hardware from there anyway. Orchard (OSH) is California only, I think.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:00 am

Haulmark seemed like "middle of the road" pretty good quality.

I think above average since Haulmark was bought by Universal Trailer, the same outfit that bought Featherlite two years ago. Just a few years ago, Haulmarks had flat fronts, rounded roofs and fiberglass front caps. Your new Haulmark looks a lot like a Featherlite with the (almost) flat roof, aluminum roof edge and trim, and cost about $2k less. It's lighter than many others of the same size that are all steel.

Average is anything made prior to 2002 from what I've seen. Some manufacturers (including Wells) have nicely improved their methods and materials since then. (In 1996, Featherlites were made with a lot of steel. Nothing feather light about that.)

Below average are those little ones they've got down at HD, with water stains on the interior wood below the ill-fitted front cap.

And *way* above average: Aluma cargo trailers. Wow. Too perfect, pretty and polished to take out for a spin if I owned one.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby razorback » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:05 pm

like your way of thinking. very practical. do not know if any of these are close to you but I have found a lot of nice things at great prices at Habitat for Humanity ReStores.
http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore_d ... x?place=77
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Thats awesome Larry. It appears a new ReStore in Salt Lake City just opened last month. I'll be in SLC next week, so I'll definitely stop by and take a look around. Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:48 pm

In keeping with the simple and portable theme, it was time to build the chuck box for cooking stuff. It had to be easily movable to the outside, since that's where I'll do 95 percent of my cooking. It also had to serve a function in its chosen location inside, not just take up space. So, I built the box to accept my cooking/eating items easily, keep them very accessible, and still be moved by one person. It's 24" high, 32" wide, and 16" deep, built from plywood. It will also serve as a small table inside, and be secured with straps or bungees to D-rings on the floor. (Those will be added after I lay the vinyl floor)

I opted for side-opening doors because I don't want to cook with my stove close to the box, or on top of the box, for cleanliness reasons. Don't want grease splattered all over and inside the box! I have a folding table to cook on and eat at if there's no picnic table where I'm camped. There is a carrying handle on each side of the box, but not visible in the photo. I also have room to add one more shelf on the right side if I later find that necessary. PLENTY of room!

You may be able to see I still have lots of room inside the box. I'm using about half of the cubic footage inside right now, but I don't want it brim-full and becoming too heavy. It's convenient as it stands now, with room to add a few lighter items. Due to the depth of the box, I have room in front of or behind nearly everything you see. If it ends up being overkill, I can always build a smaller one! :) The drawer on the upper left has utensils. Propane bottles are behind it. Lots of room behind the paper towel rod.

My heavier non-perishable food items such as canned and boxed goods will go into different storage, which is the next thing I'm adding, along with wall storage. Same with extra stuff like propane, utensils, paper products, etc. Updates on the simple, functional solutions to that coming soon!
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Gonefishin'

:thumbsup: Your entire project belongs in Popular Mechanics magazine as a DIY project!

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:01 pm

I appreciate the compliment, especially from you. :thumbsup:

I must admit, however, that nearly everything I've done or plan on doing has either been copied or slightly modified from an idea I saw on this forum! :D

Before coming here, I had no idea what a chuck box was, that lightweight folding bed frames existed, that you could put LED lights in a rv fixture, or that a cargo trailer could be made into a camper. I had just never given it any thought. My research into teardrops led me here. :applause:

I've got the plans to finish this thing completely. Things like a rear-door bug screen, fishing rod storage, a very portable table, and additional storage are ready to be installed. Curtains are being made. Linens are waiting. I'm testing the heat today and tomorrow. I'm running a 12-volt power socket inside just like I do on my boats. Heck, I don't need much else to "camp" in luxury! :)

And the premise is still the same--A comfortable place to sleep, get out of the weather, and store a little "stuff." I still travel to be outside, not in.

More to come . . .
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Prem » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:00 pm

Gonefishin,

Thanks for the return compliment. I only claim having reinvented the wheel--as it were--starting many years ago when I started making my own RVs because the factory stuff was either poorly made or way too expensive or both.

I still travel to be outside, not in.
Right on. Hence big 5th wheels and motorhomes do not make for the optimal experience camping...far from it. But, the flip side is that when we do have to be inside the RV, being able to stand up is so close to a necessity that I gave up on teardrops...hardshell pup tents. But I love the outside kitchen concept of teardrops! I reduced that to tiny on my cargo conversion. Makes a teardrop galley look palatial! :wacky

As far as having learned so much here, we can all say that to a greater or lesser extent, but the bottom line is that we have Mike Schneider to thank for having started this website that helps us all.
:thumbsup:
Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:35 am

I had some chances to test my little Coleman Pro Cat propane heater this week, in temperatures ranging from zero to 25 all week. At only 3,000 BTU, its works! A few times, it brought the temp inside the trailer from 15 to 70 in just over 30 minutes! This was with the windows and vents closed, but the CO alarm never went off. I shut the heater down when I got to 70, and was NOT SLEEPING with it on , nor will I.

I do have some very thin, R-7 "silver bubble" insulation in the walls and roof, so that may have helped slightly. Those of you who have used higher quality and thicker insulation could expect even better results.

The heater is simple and portable (same theme!), and used one little green bottle in about 7 hours. The fan runs on a couple of D-cell batteries, which worked all week, even left out in the overnight cold. Heater sits on the chuck box, the floor, or just about anywhere else since its so stable. No visible flame either.

It should be perfect to warm things up a little before bed, as well as take some chill off on cold mornings. If its this cold though :thumbdown: , I won't be doing any camping anyway, so this will definitely meet my needs. :thumbsup: $59 new.

Gonefishin
Donating Member

Updated Interior Photos

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 pm

It finally got above freezing today, and its been a while, so here's a few updated pictures of my interior.

Folding table down.

Folding Table up.

Table secured down. Blue Roll-A-Table, for outside use when needed, just happens to fit snugly on top of hanging organizer. :thumbsup:

Table up. Cooler at foot of bed is secured, and does not block door way at all. Fits perfect between door way and bed, and is accessible from outside through the door without stepping in. Easy to drain out the door too.

Front to back view. Fly rod cases hang snugly on side wall. Still "just" enough room to walk past them to get in and out of bed or exit out the rear doors.

Next up: Floor covering (area rugs with same bear/fishing theme).
A little more storage on v-nose interior wall (hanging again, more storage area).
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions