My New Seat

Bicycles for campers, rvers, or just riding around where ever you are

My New Seat

Postby Jst83 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:45 pm

After I got on the new bike (been a while and a few pounds since I've ridden) I found I hated the way the pointed seat felt. So I was out looking and found this seat, once you get past the goofy look it is really very comfortable. I'm now working on plans for moving it backwards about 4" as I always find myself trying to scoot backwards while riding.

Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Scott, do the 2 halfs move up and down (especially independently)? If not, that seat could cause you some pain in the back of your legs if you ride very much. That is part of the reason for the skinny seat is that it does not rub and restrict the legs when riding. Sure hope it works out for you!!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Jst83 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 pm

No it doesn't, but the skinny seat rubbed me wrong :lol:
this one feels like sitting in a chair.

Don't ride a whole lot just around the neighborhood with the boys.

So far I'm very happy and the wife is thinking of one for her bike also
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby toypusher » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 pm

Just so that ya know, they do make them that are 2 halves and they move up and down (actually pivot with leg movement). I don't know where to get them off hand, but have seen them and they should be really nice to ride on.

Hey, if it is comfortable and gets you on the bike, then I guess that it is the right one for you. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby satch » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:35 pm

It looks better than the ol' nut cracker 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:18 pm

That seat looks like a ladies bike seat. We have a similar type on one of our bicycles. Their made for a woman's anatomy. Sometimes I grab the wrong bike and can't stay on the seat. ;) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Bill J » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:32 pm

If it works for you go for it. Time will tell. I have a mountain with the pointed seat. Two years ago I bought an Elektra Cruiser which has a very wide seat. I am having trouble adapting to it.
Bill J
Teardrop Builder

Postby kennyrayandersen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Generally, if you have a good saddle (and that's saying a lot) once you put a few miles in on the pointy one your nether regions will adapt and as pointed out will be comfortable. The irony is that most of the big cushy saddles that APPEAR that the will be comfortable are, in fact, not comfortable over the long run. This saddle may help you transition back into riding and if it does that it is money well spent, but I suspect that if you start putting in a lot of miles it may start to bother you in ways that short rides won’t reveal.

One more consideration when buying a pointy-type saddle is that as you stand, corner, etc. the saddle between your legs can be used to better control the bike. Without that lateral reaction at the seat, the next closest point is your leg against the frame which is lower, and your legs are further apart at this location which diminishes the control and the reaction time. In the case of the ‘split’ articulating saddle, the situation is about the same with regard to this type of control and stability.

Ride more = a$$ hurts less
Plus, it brings a whole new meaning to “he a callused a$$”
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bill J » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:54 pm

I recall the old hard leather bike seats made by Brooks (I think) which after a while became the best saddles of any bike. In my post I mentioned that I had adapted to the mountain bike seat many years ago and was finding the big wide seat on the cruiser uncomfortable.
Bill J
Teardrop Builder

Postby dakotamouse » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Now there's some cush for your tush! I know what you mean about those hard bike seats. After a long trip your but goes to sleep. And in the case of you fellows maybe some other parts. :lol:

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:22 am

:lol: It's so funny to see this thread back to life.
Didn't ride as much as I need to. There's no danger of me riding long distance.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:15 am

Jst83 wrote::lol: Didn't ride as much as I need to. There's no danger of me riding long distance.

I did a marathon 5 1/2 hour hike-a-bike in the mountains of Korea today with an Italian buddy of mine. Started out as a little exploring, but the trail kept going on and on -- mountain top after mountain top with literally no way down. The drop to the left was 900 feet down and the drop to the right was 900 feet and there were NO exits. We were so committed after the 5th mountain peak we just had to keep slogging it out. Finally after the 5th mountain I called the wife and told her I'd be late -- then it was a bit of a race over the next 5-7 mountain tops (after awhile I lost count!) to beat the fall of night and the rain :? We dropped out of the trees just as the skies opened up, but at least we were on ASPHALT, lovely ASPHALT. It was dark by the time I rolled into the apt, and I was hammered!

ANYWAY, as I was riding through all of that -- this thread came across my mind a couple of times as I was going downhill and in and out of the trees and all of the tight winding paths. I noticed how much I was using the pointy part of the saddle to control the bike.

If you don't go downhill, don't ride much and stay on fire roads etc. you should be find -- I just wanted to note that the pointy part plays a big part in controlling the bike. :)
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ai4kk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Last Summer, the kids and I took a little bike ride..from Queens to Rapid City. My 16yo started off with a cushy gel saddle that I warned him would not be good....but he kept insisting that it was the most comfortable seat he had ever ridden.

By the time we got out of New Jersey, he was riding standing up and begging me to order him a Brooks like the 19yo and I had on our bikes.

After we got home, my wife (who is not a cyclist by any stretch of the imagination) decided to try bike-commuting with me. Her seat hurt her too much, so I swapped her out for the Brooks B-17 I had bought for Joshua on the trip and she fell in love with it....plus, it looks pretty classy on her older Schwinn ladies' hybrid with riser handlebars, fenders, and a rack.

I think it has to do with the pressure points. On a hard saddle, if you get a sore spot, you can shift your wegiht around and more or less massage your butt. With a gellular blob, the gel shifts with you, and nothing you do will change the pressure point....plus, you're putting a lot of extra effort into moving that blob around under you and getting your inner thighs chafed with each pedalstroke.
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wild Bill » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:26 pm

I had a banana seat when I was a kid, anyone remember those??
Beavers are Naughty!
Wild Bill
The 300 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Wild Bill wrote:I had a banana seat when I was a kid, anyone remember those??

They were great. Lets bring them back.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Next

Return to Bicycles