Retro-Kamper (Puffin for Four)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Donutboy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi John. It is a Carry-On 5 x 8 trailer from Northern Tool. Basically it was a frame made from angle iron and did originally have fenders. I decided to remove the fenders for fear that gunk (dirt, mud, whatever) would get between them and the fender boxes, absorb moisture, and cause rot.

This isn't my picture, but here is what it looked like as purchased after the fenders were removed: Image

This is about the oldest picture I have. It was taken prior to me cutting the fenders off: Image

During constuction I did reinforce the second crossmember with a second piece of angle iron bolted on with grade-8 bolts. It is imperitive that the second crossmember be bolted to the frame or floor you lay on top of it; otherwise it will bend downwards. Additional reinforcements could be welded to the frame before you start construction--something to consider.

TheDuke, the plastic opening is an access door from the outside to underneath the ledge where the toilet sits. I wanted to reclaim the space for storage and also be able to check for leaks, since any water seeping into that area would potentially rot the wood underneath. I am using a cassette toilet, but it is self contained.
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby Trackstriper » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Jerry,

Will that toilet be a cassette toilet or the porta-potti type that is in place in the photos? Hot water for the shower, gray water tank or catch pan?

Beautiful work, that's a whole lot going on in eight feet.

Bruce :applause:
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Donutboy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Bruce, whoops...you are right...it's the porta-potti type, not a cassette toilet. I did order the marine toilet in order to get the mounting hardware.

How water will be provided via the Eccotemp L5 on demand water heater http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Tankless-Water-Heater-Shower/dp/B000TXOJQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1260073480&sr=8-1 It will be mounted to the front of the camper (there is a support under the plywood in the middle for mounting). I plan to plumb it into the hot side of the faucets.

I do not have plans for a water tanks or gray water collection tanks. My parents go RVing a lot, and dad told me he's never filled the water tanks on his RV. They only stay in a place with water supply and sewer connections. I plan to follow suit. As a "Plan B" I can carry water in blue jugs, and the toilet is self contained regardless. Thanks!
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Jerry:

The design I'm wrestling with has an internal porta-potti, too. What is the sitting width of your potti compartment, and could it have been narrower, cuz mine sure looks narrower than yours. I've done a prototype with boxes and chairs, but after seeing yours, I just don't know.

It looks like your shower pan is not at the bottom of the potti compartment. What was the reason for that, cuz it looks like you would have a lot more standing height if it was in with the potti?

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:51 pm

I meant to say that the shower pan is not in the dropped footwell. Will you have a sit-down shower, then?

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby Donutboy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:26 pm

The potty area measures 23.5" by 39". It will be a sit down shower. Since the dropped floor has to be inside the frame rails, a dropped shower would need to be located in the center of the "room". Also, you need to allow space for plumbing underneath the shower, including a p-trap, so this would take additional room. The lowest portion of the dropped floor would need to be at least 12" or 14" above the ground to make it work, unless you get creative with plumbing (or just leave the drain open underneath :lol:

I'm going to use a shower curtain instead of a door to save weight, and use a shower rod that curves outwards like a parenthesis "(" to give more shoulder space--got that idea from a hotel room on our last vacation! Should be able to make that out of some flat 1" wide aluminum pretty easily.
8)
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby TheDuke » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Jerry:

Yep, mine is smaller, but there's nothing else to be trimmed, so I have to live with it. Modeled it again with boxes and chairs and it's not ideal, but it will work. The sitdown shower sounds handy, so I wonder, has anyone on this forum discussed what they do with greywater? Tank or on the ground? What about the folks that use "shower tents"? Where does that stuff go?

Eager to see how yours works when camping. BTW, I used to pass thru Frisco when it was a stop sign and a fruit stand.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby Donutboy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:05 pm

TheDuke wrote: The sitdown shower sounds handy, so I wonder, has anyone on this forum discussed what they do with greywater? Tank or on the ground?

I found this link a long while back. He had an interesting shower solution for his pop up trailer. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/50439075XFtNrG

There were some interesting things on the web site...worth a look-see.
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby satch » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:42 pm

TheDuke wrote:
What about the folks that use "shower tents"? Where does that stuff go?

TheDuke

Most shower tents just flow outside, since most "camp" showers are just heated bags with acouple of gallons worth of storage, at most.
Ever consider plumbing the drain to a "blue boy" tank? Just wheel it to a dump station when full.
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Hey

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Where are ya on this build?
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: Hey

Postby Donutboy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 am

Jeeper92 wrote:Where are ya on this build?

Bending plywood for the rear of the trailer (as shown in the avatar).

Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby Donutboy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:03 am

Got the rear roof section on and trimmed. One more panel to go!

Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby Ageless » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:32 am

Man, every time I see that DF plywood, I'm taken back to our decor in the quonset huts in Vietnam. We took blowtorches and charred the wood. The softer areas would char. Then we sanded it and varnished it. Ended up with a sort of zebra effect
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Donutboy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:45 pm

Ageless wrote:Man, every time I see that DF plywood, I'm taken back to our decor in the quonset huts in Vietnam. We took blowtorches and charred the wood. The softer areas would char. Then we sanded it and varnished it. Ended up with a sort of zebra effect

I'll have to try that...sounds interesting.
Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

Postby Donutboy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:48 pm

Got the final skin on the outside. Need to build a hatch for the air conditioner next.

Caught the final day of the West Marine sale today, and loaded up on West Systems Epoxy. Guess I gotta figure out how this stuff works now.

Jerry
Retro-Kamper
(Puffin for Four)
Donutboy
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals