Who Has a Great Juicer?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Who Has a Great Juicer?

Postby Todah Tear » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:54 pm

If you have a great juicer that uses the majority of the fruit/vegetable AND the peel in the juice, please recommend it here. I think that is what I want to get for my birthday.

Thanks,

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:05 pm

VitaMix and Ktec are two very good blenders. I've had Ktec for years although we used both in a Raw Food Chef school that I attended.
Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Eunice » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:35 pm

We have the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer. I am very happy with it
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Guys thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to go surf and see if I can find a good deal on either. My birthday is not until January, but I wonder if I get one now, can I cash in on some free Christmas shipping :lol: .

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:34 pm

twin gear juicers give you the most juice, using a lot of pressure, and do not create the vitamin killing heat that fast spinning screen juicers do..... I have a green star double gear.... http://www.greenstar.com/index.asp

quote:
Types of juicers

Centrifugal juicers are fast, affordable, and easy to use and clean. They do the best job juicing fruits, but cause some nutrient loss and oxidation due to spinning at high RPMs. Single and twin-gear juicers turn at low RPMs and do the best job of preserving vital nutrients, but are more expensive and harder to clean. They’re the best juicers for vegetables.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby caseydog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:20 pm

I love juices, and don't drink a lot of sodas. But, I buy my juices. I like the "Simply" brand of juices -- Simply Orange and Simply Apple in particular. The simply Apple is unfiltered, and tastes awesome. They are in the refrigerated area of the grocery store. I also drink the Low Sodium V8 juice.

Yes, I know that I should be making my own juices, but most of the vegetables and fruits I find at the store are from who knows where -- even the "organic" stuff. So, I have to wonder if it is worth it to make a huge mess just to make my own juices, that may or may not be any better than what I can buy.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Arne wrote:twin gear juicers give you the most juice, using a lot of pressure, and do not create the vitamin killing heat that fast spinning screen juicers do..... I have a green star double gear.... http://www.greenstar.com/index.asp

quote:
Types of juicers

Centrifugal juicers are fast, affordable, and easy to use and clean. They do the best job juicing fruits, but cause some nutrient loss and oxidation due to spinning at high RPMs. Single and twin-gear juicers turn at low RPMs and do the best job of preserving vital nutrients, but are more expensive and harder to clean. They’re the best juicers for vegetables.

Woe - I swear I thought I read "blender" in your post? :?

Well anyhow, for (juicers) I'll echo what Arne has said. I have a Champion Juicer. It pretty much is the Grandaddy of juicers and uses centrifugal force to extract the juice. As Arne has posted, this design will also significantly warm your juice too when operated more than a few minutes.

In raw food school we would place our hands around a glass of juice to feel if it's been "cooked" or not. Heat is a no no as anything above 115 degrees kills vital enzymes in foods. Green Star hit the scene and kind of took over for that reason because it won't do that. You can also juice wheat grass with a GS juicer and cannot with a Champion. A real big plus in my book.

Scott G.
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:50 am

The green star is more difficult to clean than a spinner, but not that bad once you get it down... I can clean it in less than 2 minutes... and just leave the parts laying out on a towel on the counter to air dry... assembly of the parts takes about one minute....

but it does have to be cleaned just after using it before anything dries... it is a lot tougher, then.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby cuyeda » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:29 am

We use the Omega 8006, masticating juicer. Different from the centrifuge type. It's a bit more prep on the food fed through the chute, but is suppose to be better by not heating up the juice resulting in a slightly less potent end result. Ok, you can argue the last statment, but after trying different centrifuge brands, the extracted pulp seems drier.

If your life style is in a hurry, don't get this style. The clean up is a snap, and how can you beat a 15 year warranty. If you choose a centrifuge style make sure you have good torque, and has a variable speed control. To fast and it obliterates the food into larger chunks. I felt like I was wasting a bit to get the juice.

Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:13 am

a quick story. I called up about getting a spinner. The fellow asked me if I had a juicer and I told him I had the g/s.... he said, you have the best already, just keep it.... he lost a sale, kind of, but he confirmed what I had already thought....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Todah Tear » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Wow, you guys know your juicers!

I would love it if I could juice every morning, but my schedule does not allow for it. My plan is to make enough juice on the weekends to last during the week. I would like one that will extract as much out of the juice out of even the peels as possible (When I do smoothies, I add the whole fruit, pulp, peel, and all.)

I don't want one that is too cumbersome to clean. As it is, it takes me a long time to clean my smoothie blender because I am kind of a stickler for getting all of the gook out of every knook and cranny. If the juicer has to be disassembled to clean it, then I'll disassemble every piece to get it clean. ...but that means I'll juice less frequently because I won't want to have to sacrifice the time to clean.

Nevertheless, thanks to you all, I have enough information to make an intelligent decision. :thinking:

Todah
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:17 pm

Note: Vita Mix blender for smoothies. Soft fruits, i.e. pineapple, oranges, bananas, berries, etc.. good for the Vita Mix (super blender). Vita Mix clean up, fill with some water, one drop of dish soap, replace on motor, spin on high for a little while, rinse, air dry.

My daily regimen juice mix:
Six peeled carrots (root crops must be peeled), one apple (minus stem/seeds), ginger (for zing), one bell pepper, a few leafy greens in the mix. Makes two glass of juice for breakfast, go to work.

Fresh juice is better consumed just after the preparation. I switch it up with the smoothies, depending on what I have available. Light snack before lunch.

Good luck on making your decisions.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 pm

right, you do not want to keep juice for more than a day, as it starts to oxidize:

http://www.discountjuicers.com/storingjuices.html

If you scroll down, you will see that the g/s is at the top of the list..... spinner juice loses nuuts much faster....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby TwilightLane » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:23 am

We have the Jack LaLanne power juicer. We bought it off the infomercial.

We are really happy with it. It's funny this topic came up bc we saw the stainless steel version on sale at Costco today for $80 (in Colorado Springs).

Enjoy!!
Rob & Lori
Aspen & Tundra
My Instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/Teardro ... l-Trailer/
TwilightLane
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:40 am

The spinner type is definitely easier to clean up.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1