Resealing can after only using half of it.

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Resealing can after only using half of it.

Postby SomewhereInND » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:06 pm

If I use 1/2 of the can of XYZ one day, I want to chill unused part in icebox, use 2-3 days later.

I hate dishes when camping. I can goggle, but I am looking for a recomendation.

I don't want to put it in another container, just creates dishes.

I have put can in a ziploc, works OK, but messy if can is turned sidways. Dumping contents from can to ziploc works, but can be lost/crushed by ice when stored in icechest.

There are lid systems, but size of can would be a problem.

Maybe a piece of shrink wrap over top, then some type of wide rubber band.

After writing above sentence, maybe a piece of surgical tubing. I believe a simple knot holds well in surgical tubing. Anyone do this?
SomewhereInND
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:51 pm

:thinking: ...Just a idea/guess: What about emptying the remaining contents into a Ziploc bag; wipe out the can with a paper towel; then, put the sealed Ziploc bag inside the can to protect it?

Another idea is that Glad now makes a disposable small plastic tub (the one with the blue plastic lid) that you could use. I think they are made mainly for kids’ lunches and things like that.

(Personally, I don't like to toss stuff like that and I am even a bit uncomfortable using plastic containers anymore because there is so much negativity about plastic these days. But, glass can break....)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Answers.com wrote:Can food be safely stored in metal containers? Leaving fruit juices, tuna fish or other canned fruits and vegetables in the original metal can is not recommended. Acidic foods can interact with the metal, imparting a metallic taste to the food. To avoid this unpleasant experience, transfer leftover foods or juices to sealable glass or plastic containers. If a product stored in a can is accidentally tasted or eaten, the food may taste bad but it will not be dangerous.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby Ageless » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:33 pm

No clue who came up with that. The cans are lined to prevent metallic contact. After all; how long has that product been in the cab before you used it?

They make snap-on plastic lids for cans. Check the Rubbermaid section of larger stores.
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:18 am

Press N Seal wrap is not a bad substitute for (1) lids and / or (2) ziplock bags.

I have recently lost the lid to the maraschino bottle I use to hold evaporated milk (for coffee cream). I put some of the PnS wrap on, then used a plastic lid a little oversize. doesn't leak even knocked over!
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Mon May 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Sandwich bag or plastic wrap over the can with a rubber band to hold it on?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JIML1943 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 pm

I use a can opener that opens the can from the side they seal pretty good when put back on, you can put a rubber band on for safety.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Mon May 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Put the contents of the can in a zip lock bag, then the zip lock bag in a plastic container. The plastic container will prevent damage in the cooler, and unless the bag leaks.. won't need washing, you can use over and over.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Sounds like you might want to save the plastic wide mouth peanut jars, and stock up on quart size freezer bags.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rebapuck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:38 pm

Aren't there plastic lids made for tuna and pet food cans?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:05 pm

I know you mentioned you don't want to use another dish but my suggestion is mason jars or p-nutbutter jars. Empty contents of 'XYZ' into jar before you leave home and that way it will be safe and secure the whole trip.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby honeask » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:40 am

I agree about the Press N Seal product, we use it all the time for sealing a can or bowl. Even wrapped other things to keep them together, even jewelry, works like a charm.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1