Garmin GPS units

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Gaston » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:28 pm

on a some what serious note
please if you use a GPS to navigate at least take time to confirm your route on paper maps. In Oregon we have had cases where people died n the winter by blindly following their GPS off into "never never land" This has happened both with portable units and map/gps software on laptops.
Rule of thumb: if a road doesn't have a state or US route marker, make sure you know where your going before you go
when I was an active pilot I thought loran, then gps was the greatest thing going, until I saw inexperienced pilots flying off into the unknown relying on just the electronics. Now more and more drivers are doing the same. Get out the maps and look out side when driving.
GPS's are a marvel of electronics but don't let them replace common sense :thinking:
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Gaston wrote:on a some what serious note
please if you use a GPS to navigate at least take time to confirm your route on paper maps. In Oregon we have had cases where people died n the winter by blindly following their GPS off into "never never land" This has happened both with portable units and map/gps software on laptops.
Rule of thumb: if a road doesn't have a state or US route marker, make sure you know where your going before you go
when I was an active pilot I thought loran, then gps was the greatest thing going, until I saw inexperienced pilots flying off into the unknown relying on just the electronics. Now more and more drivers are doing the same. Get out the maps and look out side when driving.
GPS's are a marvel of electronics but don't let them replace common sense :thinking:

And even when it does it may not be the best route anyway!! 8) 8) 8) :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby pete.wilson » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Hey

Well I have to say there are no perfect GPS's on the market, not even the pentagon's are perfect and they cost a whole lot more than the Garmin that some of you use. Garmin does however try to have good people when it comes to customer service and I recommend that for those that are having problems to call them and explain your situation and what problem you are having. As for the female voice, most Garmin units allow you to change the voice to something other than female, english or american. Feel free to call the switch board that I mentioned in a prior post above and they can connect you with Customer service. I apologize that I don't have all of the answers but there are just too many different units to keep track of them all, I mostly work with Quality Assurance on the aviation side of the house and not consumer porducts. I own a Garmin C340 and a Nuvi 260 both of which I have seen a few issues with the maps more than with the unit itself.

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby annalbs » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:49 am

pete.wilson wrote:Hey

Well I have to say there are no perfect GPS's on the market, not even the pentagon's are perfect and they cost a whole lot more than the Garmin that some of you use. ... I own a Garmin C340 and a Nuvi 260 both of which I have seen a few issues with the maps more than with the unit itself.

Pete Wilson

I agree, most of the issues i've had were map issues not unit issues expect for the one with the charger and since my nuvi is 3 years old i'm not as concerned since it resolved itself. there have been many many times when it has come in handy for finding the closest dealership when i was having car issues or taking me to a place where i've never been. 9 out of 10 times it will be accurate. i feel much more secure in driving to new places since i aquired my gps and i don't leave home without it. :thumbsup: :applause:
annalbs
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 am

pete.wilson wrote:Hey

TPM,

One thing you didn't mention was if you had registered your unit with Garmin after receiving it for Christmas. All units are shipped to the stores with the latest maps installed. If the map maker sends Garmin a map update after it was shipped to the store, there is no way for Garmin to know who owns a particular unit except by the registration they filled out with Garmin, this in turn entitles them to an update.

Try this link: https://my.garmin.com/maps/nuMaps.htm.

Note: It good for 60days of when you first used it and only on Nuvi or Zumo units.

Pete Wilson

Hey Pete, I did register it right after Christmas and it didn't have the latests map software. They wanted me to pay $60 to upgrade the software the day I registered it. I hadn't even logged off from the Garmin web site yet. Now my Garmin is a year old and I still love it. I just feel that I shouldn't have to pay for the latest maps on a brand new, just registered unit.

Note: I have an older unit than the Nuvi's or Zumo's. I got it last Christmas.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete.wilson » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Hey

TPM,

I would call back to Customer service and tell them you got a run around before and explain the software was out of date by the time you had it registered. See if they will allow for a free map upgrade. If not, there is another way but you will have to PM me for the details. Sorry this took so long for me to get back to you. I have been busy with my bigfoot stuff.

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby pete.wilson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Hey

For all of those Garmin users; most of you know that as of March 10, 2009 myself and 140 others were laid off from Garmin, 2 of us in the QA department. I spent nearly 6 months unemployed, lost my house and had to file for bankruptcy. But I am now working in Newport News, VA (I miss Kansas greatly) and doing fairly well even with a large pay-cut. I still think Garmin GPS's are the best and will be looking for a wide unit this winter. So if anyone has questions, call Garmin, someone will be able to help.

Pete Wilson
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 am

Sorry to hear of your job & house loss. :( That really sucks :thumbdown:
I wish you success in your new job and location. :thumbsup:
Is Garmin going under? Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby pete.wilson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Hey

Danny,

I wouldn't worry about Garmin; they are very conservatively run and who plans on the long term goals instead of the next quarter's profits. They are in good shape as of when I left. Good products, good service, good people; I hold no dislike for them although even if I had the chance, I wouldn't work for them again. I'm not cut out for the cublicle lifestyle.

Pete Wilson
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets