Build of a Teardop in Glasgow, Scotland.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Build of a Teardop in Glasgow, Scotland.

Postby BigAl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:12 pm

I have started! I am building a modified Superleggera. The mods being 60" wide body, a modified frame (kindly suggested by Andrew) and slightly bigger wheels.

I hope to be ready for May.

On Tuesday of this week I took delivery of my trailer parts. Wheels, suspension, hitch, etc,. Today my steel arrived and this evening I have a welded and under-coated trailer A-frame.

A local welder welded the frame. A very interesting guy who has been welding for the past 40 years (with toilet breaks). He was a Engineer with Rolls Royce and did a great job with the welding.

Tomorrow, I will over-coat the frame and take some photos.
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby jackdaw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Sounds like a great start AL :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Looking forward to seeing the photos, It's great to have another Brit building on the board 8) 8)
Would you be up for a trip down South of the boarder in May ? We're sorting out a Tearjerkers gathering for the second bank holiday, and it would be great if you could make it.

Cheers Dave
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:19 am

Some of the finest things in the world were conceived in Scotland. I'll be keeping an eye on your build!

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby BigAl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:40 pm

@Chris, you are absolutely correct! ;)

@Dave, Do you have provisional dates and a location?
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby jackdaw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Al we're aiming for the second bank holiday in May, and may be nr Birmingham.
Just trying to get it finalised.

Dave
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby BigAl » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:38 am

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my trailer frame. It's hard to believe that 2 days ago this was a pile of unpainted steel section.

Image[/img]
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby BigAl » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:42 am

Is my jockey wheel in a suitable place? I put it 'outside' the A-frame to give unobstructed access to the little lever arm. Should I place it inside the A-frame?
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby Mini Renegade » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:46 am

Loong good and light there Al. Leave the jockey wheel where it is, better for acces to the lock lever as you say, plus it frees up more space for gas bottle etc.
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Re: Build of a Teardop in Glasgow, Scotland.

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 pm

BigAl

I am building a modified Superleggera. The mods being 60" wide body, a modified frame (kindly suggested by Andrew) and slightly bigger wheels.

You have your frame! :applause:

I am curious as to what the overall weight might be thus far... between you and another Scot, Graeme, you two are building a morph of what I have planned as my teardrop design.

:pipe:

I have a particular interest in seeing how you fellows build these for strength and low weight as I will towing my Cal-modified superleggera with a 2.3 liter Ford Focus and not some Yank Tank.

:lol:

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby BigAl » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi Chris, I will try and come up with an actual weight so far. I need that information for myself anyway.

I'm going to be towing with a 2.0litre Diesel Toyota Avensis Estate (US:Station Wagon) so that ought to be similar in weight to your Focus pulling your Cal-erleggera.

Thanks Renegade, I will leave the jockey wheel there. :)
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby jackdaw » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Wow . Looking like a great start Al. :applause: :applause:

Looking super light too compared to our first Grumman Alco chassis. :thinking:

I'll be watching with interest fella :thumbsup:

Dave
jackdaw
500 Club

Postby BigAl » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks very much Dave! :) I'm a tiny bit concerned by the superlightweight-ness of the frame, but it's built now. I will just need to exercise some self-discipline with the weight of the woodwork to keep it light.

I have just been outside to weight the beast and the frame, wheels and all comes to 74lbs (33.5kg). About the weight of three or four bags of kittie litter! ;)

I did deviate from the Superleggera frame by using 500kg suspension and 145R10 wheels. The A-frame is a 61" Axle in 2inch square section and two 118" longditudinals.

It has been for a test tow today, and nothing fell off, exploded or burst into flames. So far so good.
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:20 pm

BigAl

It has been for a test tow today, and nothing fell off, exploded or burst into flames. So far so good

:lol:

I'm a tiny bit concerned by the superlightweight-ness of the frame, but it's built now. I will just need to exercise some self-discipline with the weight of the woodwork to keep it light.

It would be natural to have concerns... but, remember that once the wooden teardrop structure (itself a style of monocoque construction) is bolted to the chassis, all will be strong and rigid.

73 lbs!!! Amazing. Well done, sirs; both you and Andrew for his conceptualizaccione. The automotive-application wheels and tires I want to use on my tear weigh 36 lbs EACH, but I am making these weight concessions to attempt to achieve a certain overall style concept.

I hope to bring my empty tear to under 500 lbs./227 kg so that when 400 lbs/182 kg of my camping gear is loaded on board the whole rig goes down the road at no more than 900 lbs/408 kg... Where my 70 lb deep-cycle 12V battery fits into the equation remains to be seen. Somewhere in the middle, both literally and figuratively...

:scratchthinking:

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby BigAl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:53 am

I might be tempted to put that big battery in the trunk of the car! :D
Kind Regards, BigAl.

Build Journal on T&TTT
BigAl
Teardrop Master

Postby teardrop_focus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:31 pm

I know this is your thread, my good man, and therefore was hesitant to reply to your suggestion about my battery placement...

:R

However, in an effort to keep your thread active, I will answer your suggestion.

BigAl

I might be tempted to put that big battery in the trunk of the car! :D

The car is sprung with progressive-rate coils and as such I am reluctant to drop more than 80 lbs/36 kg or so onto the rear axle (ride quality goes away after that)... and just about all of that will be the trailer's tongue weight. The trailer's 70 lb/32 kg battery will go center and just aft of the trailer axle in an effort to maintain a neutral balance.

:pipe:

Please forgive the threadjack with the talk of my own build plans... :-)~

teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals