Camp Stove selection

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Alfred » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:53 am

mikeschn wrote:I like your little pig. You put my little baby keg grill to shame... :cry:

Mike...

Mike - Where'd you get the baby keg grill? That looks cool...Al.
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Conestoga » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:05 am

So all who've posted this thread recently (except Arne) boil water and do eggs using propane even when you've paid for a site with electric hookup?

That's what we were expecting to do, but maybe we'll take an electric kettle.

Conestoga wrote:We cook primarily with propane, and white gas when going light. However with a trailer we're going to end up in some sites that have electricity included, so why not use it, particularly for hot water & breakfast.

Don't want to lug two sets of cookware or get electric appliances or an expensive induction burner. The only thing I can think of is a hot plate type electric burner, but I suspect the common ones are wimpy...

Any suggestions?
Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:35 am

Conestoga wrote:So all who've posted this thread recently (except Arne) boil water and do eggs using propane even when you've paid for a site with electric hookup?

That's what we were expecting to do, but maybe we'll take an electric kettle.

Conestoga wrote:We cook primarily with propane, and white gas when going light. However with a trailer we're going to end up in some sites that have electricity included, so why not use it, particularly for hot water & breakfast.

Don't want to lug two sets of cookware or get electric appliances or an expensive induction burner. The only thing I can think of is a hot plate type electric burner, but I suspect the common ones are wimpy...

Any suggestions?

I bought an electric hot plate from Walmart and it isn't wimpy. It's primary function is to cook inside. I am seriously thinking of getting an induction burner. Really like the "not hot" aspect.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gary and Cheri » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Another possible (more expensive) option:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/cadco ... HR-1C.html

http://www.smallspacesappliances.com/ce ... ktops.aspx

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/portable ... ic-cooktop

You've made me think. Why pay for electicity and use propane?

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Wig » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Ive used a friends camp chef it was awesome. I want one! we made fajitas on his big flat grill.heres what it looks like.http://www.campchef.com/store/item/152/TB90LWCG_expedition_3x_triple_burner_stove.html
Scott & (Megan)
Wig
Teardrop Master

Postby Mightydog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:40 pm

We use an electric kettle for coffee, cocoa and hot water for dish washing so we're not taking up room on the stove. The stove is used for making eggs and peaches with dumplings....ummmmm. With everything in action, breakfast gets on the table and in my tummy that much faster.

If we're not paying for power, then we go with the blue enamel tea pot for hot water for cocoa, coffee and dish washing. It's Alton Brown's theory of the multi-tasker. If it's in my kitchen, it has to have more than one function.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:01 pm

The Costco out here has a 2 burner CampChef for $99 at the moment.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 pm

I have seen a reference to a double walled gas grill on one of the Australian caravan maker web sites. I know how much gas our home grill takes and the prospect of something more efficient is attractive. Why is there no insulation on grills or toaster ovens or...
Our toaster oven has an outer skin temperature of 180 F, once I can find a source of ceramic wool it is going to get a blanket
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Conestoga » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:45 pm

I just got a cheap electric single burner and tested it out. It does truly get hot. :thumbsup: thanks Miriam

Update Feb.1: This thing pictured above works well for what was intended. It has a cast iron surface, so it takes a bit longer to warm up and cool off, but it's really nice & simple to have at a campground with an electric hookup.

New for this trip is a "Sportsman" propane single burner which we're also pleased with:

Conestoga
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:18 pm

We are using a double burner Primus Stove. All stainless. Works very nicely. Looks quite nice too. Only thing it doesnt have the sides however that I will make myself as they are basic. ;)

Easy-to-use portable LP gas stove
Primus Oden is a stove, whose Scandinavian design is manufactured in stainless steel. It’s made to be an all-rounder, suitable for all users and all occasions. It’s great for use at your summer cottage, in a camper van or as an extra cooker at home. This excellent-quality, long-lasting stove is easy to clean, with two stainless steel burners. The Oden stove comes equipped with an automatic shut-off feature, which turns off the gas if the flame goes out. Automatic shut-off is required for indoor use. Hose and regulator are sold separately.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:54 pm

iplay10us2 wrote:For the most part, I have always used a Coleman 2 Burner propane stove.
However, after seeing someone else post about the Cadac Safari Chef grill:

http://cadacsafarichef.safarichefgrill.com/

I have ordered one and it should be here next week. I like that this gives me a lot of cooking options all in one. I really like the wok part because I do like to cook lots of veggies. The Coleman stove burners do limit the size of the pot you can use with them.

Just thought Id chime in on the Cadac. That is a very popular grill here in Scandinavia. Real good reviews on it too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I think you,ll enjoy it.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby goramsey » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Miriam C. wrote:
prohandyman wrote:
I don't want to cook much, and I really don't want to BAKE at all while camping".

I think my wife said the exact same words. She even takes a crock pot with dinners in it, and makes me cook breakfast so she won't even have to use the stove!

:thumbsup: couple of real smart women. :applause: We have a Coleman two burner and it doesn't regulate well. My favorite is the butane stove. It works great.

Another member mentioned using an electric hotplate. That is next on my list. My daughter uses an electric sandwich maker to make omlets and a breakfast pizza like thing. Her family loves them. If you are wired for electric you might consider it also.

Butane sounds good to me. I did read that though they are great, they have trouble at high altitudes and below 40 degrees. Has anyone found that happening? So. Utah has some pretty high campgrounds.
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ramseys-T ... 4019963253

Hunger makes a thief of any man. ~Pearl S. Buck
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Fran Lebowitz
http://www.ramseystravels.com/blog/
http://www.ramseystravels.com
goramsey
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Don't ask me I have a white gas coleman 2 burner I picked up for $10.00 at a yard sale. Used it once.

does a grill count ?

Need hot water for hot cocoa a 32 cup coffee maker is our water heater from the tap hot water. Mixed in a bowl with unheated water you can regulate the temp to wash the dishes or for personal hygiene. The little toaster oven for toast or a load of biscuits maybe even some cookies.

If I have to pick just one it is this orange and red propane 2 burner cook top a $5.00 find at Goodwill.

Of course this one always works too.

Did I mention we love to cook at gatherings.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mechmagcn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:23 pm

I have the Camp Chef oven and love it :thumbsup: I also picked up a small hotplate at a second hand store for use when electricity was available. Need to learn more about DO cooking. :oops:
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby legojenn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:20 am

Classic Finn wrote:We are using a double burner Primus Stove. All stainless. Works very nicely. Looks quite nice too. Only thing it doesnt have the sides however that I will make myself as they are basic. ;)

I am looking at one of these. It's a Primus Atle.

http://www.primuscamping.com/product.php?id=74

Since much of my camping is solo, the idea of combining the bbq and cooker is great. I know that Coleman has something similar, but I have not had good luck with Coleman products. I picked up a generic two-burner stove for $9.00 at a grocery store during an end of season sale that has lasted longer than the two Colemans.

The price difference between the Coleman BBQ/Cooker and the Atle is $5.00, but I've never owned a Primus product. Any opinions?
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets