Re: The Pup's Penthouse - 7/17/12 - Flooring

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Pup's Penthouse - 7/17/12 - Flooring

Postby synaps3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Welcome to my build thread!

It is a large TTT, of completely original design. Much of my build strategy is inspired by other members here -- so before you begin reading, I thank you all for making this build possible.

The original design proved too large for the original (Harbor Freight 4x8) trailer, and was redesigned on a new chassis that I purchased on Craigslist. Therefore, my build really "begins" after this post: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=650242#p650242

My final design will look like this:

If you decide to start reading from below, keep in mind that my needs changed as time went by, and so did the build. At the current moment (as of June 19, 2011), I'm mostly winging the design from here on out. The project, like life, has become quite an adventure. Enjoy the ride!

The original first post begins below:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm building a TTT roughly based on some 3d renderings I've been working with. My thread for much of the design is here: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33684&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.

And my most recent render of the build is here:

Goals for this build:
- 0 setup / teardown time
- Can haul our Honda Reflex (400 lb scooter) in the back
- Comfy for the pups during the day
- Comfy for us on rainy days
- Provide a safe, and sanitary place to bathe and bathroom
- Low weight
- Low cost

Time to get started! Welcome to my "workshop:"

Me and my fiancee live in a one-bedroom apartment in downtown Atlanta, near my work / school (Georgia Tech). We are still in college, and even though I work full time, it's still not enough for us to buy a house yet. The top floor of the parking garage in our complex is always abandoned and free to use -- but there are three catches here.

1) There is no power. Everything has to be either battery or hand-operated.

2) My final design will be too tall to fit through anywhere other than the first floor of the garage. Therefore, the build will have to be made in modular pieces, so that I can tear it down, take it out, finalize assembly off-site in an abandoned parking lot, and finish the exterior -- all in one day.

3) Obviously the leasing office will get mad at a half-finished trailer. Every day I build, everything has to be torn back down flat, into a neat pile to store on the 3rd level of the garage, in one of our parking spaces.

Build day 1 (Nov 2009)
I purchased and assembled the chassis.

Build day 2 (Nov 2009)
Flipped the axle to drop height, went to scrap yard and got a tube to extend the frame outwards.

Build day 3 (Nov 2009)
Installed frame extension. Painted most of chassis black, including the extension, hubs, etc.

That brings us to last week, when I finally started taking pictures!

Build day 4 (Jan 28, 2010)
Finally, it was warm enough to work last week, if only for a day!

On day four, I decided it was time to get going on the floor and subfloor. The floor is 3/4" plywood with a 1x3 subframe to allow stiffness and sturdiness for the 16" overlap on each side.

Here's what I'm working with:

I took everything off the frame and took a few pictures to give you guys and gals an idea of what went on for days 1-3. Here's the frame in its complete (other than lights) form:

The pup is our first pup, Maddie. She's my running buddy, hiking buddy, swimming buddy, and even rides in my backpack when I'm riding the scooter (her head out, and her tongue flapping in the wind!). She goes almost everywhere with me.

Back on topic, here's a close-up of the tongue extension:

In addition to the 16" overhang on each side, there will be 3' (yes, feet) of overhang over the front and 1' overhang off the back. The extension will add strength and allow the front overhang without jacknifing. Don't mind my paint job... I ran out before I was able to paint the areas that wouldn't be visible :lol:

Here's another view of the extension:

Apparently Maddie wanted to be in the picture too...

Time to get down to work. Using the plans that I've drafted in sketchup (they reside in my brain as well), I sketched everything out before cutting for a sanity check:

And hacked away. A couple of hours later, here's our end result:

I parked the trailer back in its home on the 3rd floor, and came in and enjoyed a few pints of these:

...and eventually came up with this:

The above is a freehand sketch from MS paint of what the curvature of the trailer will be like. Don't be fooled by my blocky sketchup drawings; they're just me getting my ideas straight. This trailer will be a nice, curvy shape.

I also finalized the interior layout. Here is a pic of that:

On Build day 5, I'll tar the top and bottom of the floor. Build day 5 will come around next time we get warm weather here (hopefully tomorrow). It is freezing outside again today! :cry:

I haven't come up with a name for our trailer yet, so suggestions are welcome. Oh, and thanks for reading! :D
Last edited by synaps3 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby planovet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

What a great start! :applause:

You don't have to worry about a name yet, it will come to you. :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Ageless » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Very nice design; however before you get too far, campground hook-ups for water and power are on driver's side when you back into a space. Unless you want to use a longer hose and power cord, you may wish to modify the plan. Possiblly mirror image the layout?
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Ageless wrote:Very nice design; however before you get too far, campground hook-ups for water and power are on driver's side when you back into a space. Unless you want to use a longer hose and power cord, you may wish to modify the plan. Possiblly mirror image the layout?

:o

Good catch! I need to flip things...

*away to play in sketchup some more*
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Re: New build! (no name yet, suggestions welcome)

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:35 pm

synaps3 wrote:I'm building a TTT roughly based on some 3d renderings I've been working with. My thread for much of the design is here: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33684&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.

And my most recent render of the build is here:

Goals for this build:
- 0 setup / teardown time
- Can haul our Honda Reflex (400 lb scooter) in the back
- Comfy for the pups during the day
- Comfy for us on rainy days
- Provide a safe, and sanitary place to bathe and bathroom
- Low weight
- Low cost

Time to get started! Welcome to my "workshop:"

Me and my fiancee live in a one-bedroom apartment in downtown Atlanta, near my work / school (Georgia Tech). We are still in college, and even though I work full time, it's still not enough for us to buy a house yet. The top floor of the parking garage in our complex is always abandoned and free to use -- but there are three catches here.

1) There is no power. Everything has to be either battery or hand-operated.

2) My final design will be too tall to fit through anywhere other than the first floor of the garage. Therefore, the build will have to be made in modular pieces, so that I can tear it down, take it out, finalize assembly off-site in an abandoned parking lot, and finish the exterior -- all in one day.

3) Obviously the leasing office will get mad at a half-finished trailer. Every day I build, everything has to be torn back down flat, into a neat pile to store on the 3rd level of the garage, in one of our parking spaces.

Build day 1 (Nov 2009)

Build day 2 (Nov 2009)
Flipped the axle to drop height, went to scrap yard and got a tube to extend the frame outwards.

Build day 3 (Nov 2009)
Installed frame extension. Painted most of chassis black, including the extension, hubs, etc.

That brings us to last week, when I finally started taking pictures!

Build day 4 (Jan 28, 2010)
Finally, it was warm enough to work last week, if only for a day!

On day four, I decided it was time to get going on the floor and subfloor. The floor is 3/4" plywood with a 1x3 subframe to allow stiffness and sturdiness for the 16" overlap on each side.

Here's what I'm working with:

I took everything off the frame and took a few pictures to give you guys and gals an idea of what went on for days 1-3. Here's the frame in its complete (other than lights) form:

The pup is our first pup, Maddie. She's my running buddy, hiking buddy, swimming buddy, and even rides in my backpack when I'm riding the scooter (her head out, and her tongue flapping in the wind!). She goes almost everywhere with me.

Back on topic, here's a close-up of the tongue extension:

In addition to the 16" overhang on each side, there will be 3' (yes, feet) of overhang over the front and 1' overhang off the back. The extension will add strength and allow the front overhang without jacknifing. Don't mind my paint job... I ran out before I was able to paint the areas that wouldn't be visible :lol:

Here's another view of the extension:

Apparently Maddie wanted to be in the picture too...

Time to get down to work. Using the plans that I've drafted in sketchup (they reside in my brain as well), I sketched everything out before cutting for a sanity check:

And hacked away. A couple of hours later, here's our end result:

I parked the trailer back in its home on the 3rd floor, and came in and enjoyed a few pints of these:

...and eventually came up with this:

The above is a freehand sketch from MS paint of what the curvature of the trailer will be like. Don't be fooled by my blocky sketchup drawings; they're just me getting my ideas straight. This trailer will be a nice, curvy shape.

I also finalized the interior layout. Here is a pic of that:

On Build day 5, I'll tar the top and bottom of the floor. Build day 5 will come around next time we get warm weather here (hopefully tomorrow). It is freezing outside again today! :cry:

I haven't come up with a name for our trailer yet, so suggestions are welcome. Oh, and thanks for reading! :D

Nice profile. :thumbsup: Looks like your at it full speed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:48 pm

Dave

I thought your profile looked familiar.. well at least a little. :lol: This is my buddy,s build. Thought Id show you. :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby regis101 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Cabana, comes to mind. Maybe, wood shed.
Maybe MP - 1, ( multi purpose ), or MPR , ( multi purpose room )

Not much headroom in the bed area. Hmmm...
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby rpm750 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Build day 1 (Nov 2009)

May I ask where you purchased your chassis? I'm just south of the ATL. It looks like what I need. Was it all that is pictured? Frame, Axle and tires?

Thanks
rpm750 aka"Average Bob"

1964 Type 1 sunroof
1966 Type 1 "CaLook" O'Bugga
1968 Type 1 Cut up

Soon to be Compact Travel Trailer Owner!
rpm750
Teardrop Builder

Postby synaps3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:02 pm

Finn -

Great minds think alike! :D

rpm750 wrote:May I ask where you purchased your chassis? I'm just south of the ATL. It looks like what I need. Was it all that is pictured? Frame, Axle and tires?

It's a standard-issue Harbor Freight trailer, found here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94564

If you look around the forums a bit, there's a lot of info on it, and almost always a 20% off coupon floating around.

I bought mine from the Harbor Freight in Kennesaw.

I've been playing around in sketchup a bit to see if I can better render the curves. I'll post back later if I get results...
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby synaps3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Ageless wrote:Very nice design; however before you get too far, campground hook-ups for water and power are on driver's side when you back into a space. Unless you want to use a longer hose and power cord, you may wish to modify the plan. Possiblly mirror image the layout?

Ageless -- I can't thank you enough for correcting me on that. If I built the whole thing and figured out that everything was on the wrong side... Don't want to think about it.

Here's the updated layout:

and here's the result of my further tinkering with Sketchup:

I decided to go to a point at the end for simplicity.. (EDIT: to clarify, the corners won't be jagged in the end design -- just in the render to prevent my computer from going sloooow) The front has about the right shape in the rendering, but looks a bit too "fat." I'll fix it when I actually cut the walls out. :)
Last edited by synaps3 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby High Desert » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:31 pm

I like the straightforward design of your layout. And it's still got a pleasing shape. This is another on my ever expanding list of "builds to watch'. 8)

btw, the wife saw the pic of your Maddie and suggested the name 'Pup Tent' for your build
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:21 am

Dave I got the name now for your build.. :D

The Guiness Inn :lol: :lol:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Ageless » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 am

Look at the original design. You've done away with the rounded curve and slope !! Put it back!!
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 am

Ageless wrote:Look at the original design. You've done away with the rounded curve and slope !! Put it back!!
]

The front curve is approximate!! I can't draw good curves on a computer, going to have to freehand to make it look like this:

I left the curves off on the back for the computer drawing, that way I can work on it without the computer freezing from the drawing being too complex.

We had nice weather today, but I ended up working on my other trailer instead! I bought a cargo trailer awhile back for storage, and it is LEAKING. Argh. After a lot of cleaning, some patching, and some narsty aluminized roof paint (which my hands are coated with), the other trailer is back in business.

It's supposed to rain the next few days too. :cry:
-- Dave

synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby regis101 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Call it the , Rumpus room.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master