DD, on the road to LCG

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

DD, on the road to LCG

Postby StPatron » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:39 pm

I've been reading this forum for several years and have been anxious to start making sparks and sawdust. Well, that time is now close. Original plans called for building my own chassis and building a GenBen but when I found a Craigslist ad for a bargain basement pop-up, I couldn't resist taking a look. Asking price was $225 and here's what I saw when I arrived.

I don't know the manufacturer or year of build but the model name on the faded sticker is "Chuckwagon". The owner said that the canvas was in pretty good shape but was no longer holding to the top very well, so he had detached the canvas and piled it up in the floor. Apparently the trailer had not been used in several years and he seemed anxious to sell. It was windy so he didn't think it was a good idea to attempt to raise the top, I agreed and decided I'd take my chances. The frame appeared to be in pretty good shape and the tires held air,, so, I offered him 75 bucks cash and he said, "Sold". Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into now!

It towed great behind my 1/2 ton pick-up and I backed it up the driveway anxious to take a peek inside. Here's what the autopsy revealed:

The externally mounted "arms" that hold the top up were designed without much attention to user safety. I suppose raising an intact roof might have been accomplished more easily with one person on each end but when I attempted to "pop the top" it took a nose-dive towards my garage door, not good. Time to get the socket wrench out and remove the arms. After twisting two of the four bolts off I decided using the grinder and cutting wheel would be safer and quicker. Four spring/cable arms into the metal salvage pile.

The roof vent had been a source of water leak and the ceiling in that area was deteriorated. The ceiling was a thin layer of cardboard material with a foil surface on the upper face, attached with screws and those clear plastic "star-shaped" things,,, (can't think of the proper term now),,, you used to see wall mirrors mounted with.

Water had penetrated the corners where the "arms" were attached and also on the leading and trailing edges of the curved aluminum skin at the corners.

The flooring was intact, both the interior vinyl and underneath. No soft spots. The plywood doesn't appear to have ever been treated with anything and shows nothing other than slight weathering.

After finding this much water damage, I was surprised to see the inside about 90% free of damage. A few water stains on one cushion and the particle board counter was swollen and crumbly.

The rest of the interior was in remarkably good shape and all parts were there. Both fold-out plywood bed platform pieces are good, along with the dinette table and seating, remaining cushions, cabinets and appliances. The canvas had no holes and zippers worked great but the vinyl windows were toast.

It was eerie opening drawers and finding them filled with old camping supplies from the previous owner. Coffee pots, pans, plastic bin with eating utensils, canvas repair kit, an old baseball card,,, one surprise after another. A few nice finds during this treasure hunt were:

Darn, no cast iron! Well, I guess you can't have it all.

The sink, stove, frig and water tank appear to be in good shape. And, there was even another tire/rim in one cabinet!

This light bar might be a nice touch on the next build:

With clipboard in hand, I was busy taking measurements and surveying what I now had on my driveway.

Now, what to do? Will I take it all down to the frame and do my GenBen build or,,,, what about something else? I could strip the galley out and replace that with a potty/shower closet. Keep the dinette/bed. Shift the floor plan around. Add a galley to the rear with hatch cover. Well, plenty of time to think about that now. It'll be a few days until I can get back to work. It's now covered with a tarp and there's a lasagna layer of ice, sleet and snow on top. Come on sunshine!

Comments? Suggestions?
Last edited by StPatron on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:50 pm, edited 37 times in total.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 am

:thumbsup: :applause: Great find! You might find a buyer for the canvas if it is in good shape. Don't forget to sell the salvage metal! And build what suits you most.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jkidd6339 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:55 am

Well you won't have to visit any job sites. Now let the fun begin.
jkidd6339
Teardrop Master

Postby StPatron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:11 am

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Miriam.

jkidd6339: The fun's already begun. My buddies are asking me, "You paid 75 bucks for THAT?" :lol:
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby doctor phreak » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 am

so you are gettin started good for you ...thats a great deal on that pop up...i got a free boat trailer that was a a-frame style and i had to square it up....kinda wished i would have gotten a pop up that way it would have already been tag & titled i have to go about the long way around to do mine.......so are you doing the benroy style like mine ....just to let you know i have my cutout for a plan if you are intersted its a 9-10 ft long 5 ft wide ....i also have a big roll of thick brown paper that you could borrow to do set of plans or shape ...let me know.... its exciting gettin started and actually start working on it..... :thumbsup:
doctor phreak
Teardrop Advisor

Postby StPatron » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks for the well wishes, doc. Nothin' but fun ahead! We need to get together and swap info and ideas. PM me when you get a chance.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Congrats on the getting the Pop up so cheep. :thumbsup: Just to be curious how wide is it from wheel to wheel? Oh I specially like the bowl it reminds me of something my Grandma had. :)

The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 pm

:o $75! Good deal!
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby StPatron » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Mandy, I've misplaced my inside wheel to wheel measurements but it's about 4' 6", maybe a bit more.

Dave: Read your build thread, sure like your design. That will be a challenge indeed building in stages, sounds like you got a good plan though.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Comments? Suggestions?

Yes. Comments:

Thoroughly delightful post! sir... great to read. :thumbsup:

The pics are very interesting, too. I want a Camp Toaster!!! The bowl you've pic'd is fantastic... is there more? And is that a Coleman oven or something?

$75 is a very fair price for what you dragged home behind you.

I don't know what to suggest in regards to what you should build from what you have, though. A teardrop doesn't need nearly that much chassis... either remove a bunch of steel from what you have and build a tear, or, build a "slouchy" breadloaf-style or canned ham-style trailer...

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:25 pm

And I thought my $50 used HF trailer was a good deal lol. You've really got a nice start there, tons of useful or sellable parts. Look forward to watching the transformation. Good luck :thumbsup:

I wonder if that plate was part of the original equipment with the trailer, as it has the chuckwagon theme. A tie in with the 'Chuckwagon' sticker you found on the exterior maybe? Could be a nice piece to carry in the new rig when finished, just for grins.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks, Chris. Glad you enjoyed the write-up. I thought that showing the water damage and identifying what caused it might be of some benefit to others. I know that I'll pay special attention to sealing my roof vent very well.

The treasure hunt was fun, I'm a sucker for old stuff especially camping gear. There are 4 bowls, 3 in perfect condition and 1 with some enamel chipped off on the rim. And, you are correct! That's a collapsible Coleman oven. It needs some cleaning but looks to be in pretty good shape.

I'm still undecided about what to do with it, weighing the options you mentioned. When the weather warms I'll be anxious to scope everything out more closely. Right now the driveway is the workshop. :(
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:49 pm

High Desert wrote:And I thought my $50 used HF trailer was a good deal lol. You've really got a nice start there, tons of useful or sellable parts. Look forward to watching the transformation. Good luck :thumbsup:

I wonder if that plate was part of the original equipment with the trailer, as it has the chuckwagon theme. A tie in with the 'Chuckwagon' sticker you found on the exterior maybe? Could be a nice piece to carry in the new rig when finished, just for grins.

I hadn't thought about the "Chuckwagon" connection, may be? The bottom of the bowls are stamped with Monterrey Western Ware. Apparently they are collectors items, a bunch of them are on eBay. I'll probably use them in the new rig, along with a few other odds and ends.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:27 am

Gorgeous day on Saturday in between snow storms and I got a chance to work on the pop-up conversion. Blurry pic, but this screw head was a new one for me. It's called a clutch head. The builder used them almost exclusively. I was able to find a Vermont American bit at a local hardware store that carries a large inventory. You won't find it at most stores.

An interesting design concept was this slide-out stove/galley. The tracks were made of hardwood and there was a hinged/adjustable height leg to support it when it was fully extended.

Evaluating what's available,,,, I'm considering something like this. (Newbie SketchUp attempt).

This design includes a bed which converts to a dinette, a portapotty/shower area and storage cabinets inside. I will add the hatch/galley area on the back with a/c. Total height will be lower than a standy but still allow head room while sitting at the dinette or seated on the portapotty while showering. I have removed the built-in cabinets and can easily lift the tongue at this point. Hatch width will probably be less than the trailer width for ease of lifting. Still tossing all these ideas around,,,,,
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:10 am

Great find. The top is rebuildable if you'd want to restore it. I've done 2 in my day just pull the aluminum off and replace the wood like it was built. the lifts have a spring in them which are replaceable too you can get them from Macmaster carr.

Just a word of warning I tried to use the frame from a smaller version of the same brand of popup on the Winter Warrior but tried, for some stupid reason, to open up the wheel wells. If you cut that plate that is outside the wheel the whole frame collapses that is the main strength of the frame front to back. I used a custom built frame on our trailer and the rebuilt trailer from the pop up now has a 500 gal. smoker on it that my son built.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Next

Return to Build Journals