Our teardrop build: the Wild Hare

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:46 am

...look for pics by "bob henry" and "Dhazard"...they have done extremely similar designs with much success.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Dhazards is a lot prettier than mine but ours has seen alot of use. We were out 13 times this season which included 4 gatherings. I love the fact that our hatch makes a wonderful roof over the galley by being full length ( something to think about) . Ol' whats her name won't let me drag "Barn to be wild" any more she wants her kitchen!!!

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ssj4jarrod » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Bobhenry, That is the most beautiful galley I have seen. Is that a transparent hatch? What material is it? I love that, Im going to try to do something along those lines... But mines gonna be 6.5ft wide.
“You know that other party, who said he saw something, that we know did not happen? He realizes now, he didn't see what we know did not happen...â€
ssj4jarrod
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mightydog » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:09 pm

This has nothing to do with the bottom cabs swinging out. It's another idea to consider...

We have the same amount of space under the counter, it just doesn't swing out. For extra counter space, and a place to put the camp stove, we use the extension on the right side. It attaches to the counter and has an adjustable leg.

This set-up gives us room for two full-sized people to work with a minimum of butt-bumping. It's also reasonable easy to close down at night to keep critters out.

I also think that with less moving parts and weight on hinges, you'll have less trouble in the future.

To answer your question about rubber seals, Curtis Trailers has a great selection of bulk seals that you can buy by the foot. They're great to work with and the east side location isn't that far from you at 10177 SE Powell Blvd.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:16 am

ssj4jarrod wrote:Bobhenry, That is the most beautiful galley I have seen. Is that a transparent hatch? What material is it? I love that, Im going to try to do something along those lines... But mines gonna be 6.5ft wide.

Just like the roof " Bronze tint Lexan "

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:00 pm

I have just noticed this thread. Hope my reply comes in time.

I built mine much like you are thinking about except i have two doors in the rear, left/right.

If i had to do it over again for the same reasons, I would not change much just the details.

I will get more pics in my album when i can. Just had my right shoulder operated on so am a bit more handicapped than normal. :D

I tow mine on gravel, dusty, no roads, almost 1000 miles of them in the past 2 years. I have gotten the dust seal to where it is very livable.

The right door has a counter on it now and the left one will get one before spring time. I hope. In the center they interlock with a seal. On the bottom there is a bolt latch with an iron bar i made to operate it. Also a hole in the bottom of the bolt cut out so i can open it with a #2 phillips screw driver or similar tool with the rod breaks off. I made the central counter top to close to the doors to reach in with my hand. Then i added a 1/4 inch bolt and T nut on the top to draw them tight up there, doesn't take very long to operate.

I used 2 house door hinges on each door, screwed into oak, rated at 50# each hinge so 100 # total. I would see if i could find some stainless steel hinges as house door hinges are made to be inside. It will be constant oiling for me.

Will get more pics in the album as i can. New pics might be a few days,
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Advice on an idea.

Postby MoparCzy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks for all the replies, none of them are too late. Here it is 02/02/2010 and we are still in the planning stages. I think that I said in an earlier post that I need to get my Road Runner on the road before I can put any money into this one. But both my wife and I are excited about building and using a teardrop. We will be tweaking the design as we go, and if it turns out that the 5' long single door does not work out, then we will be able to switch to a split design of some sort.
MoparCzy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:24 am

Mopar

I finally got out in the shop this weekend and got some pictures with more details of my setup.

I have just posted 2 pages of pics of mine in my album. They might make more sense to go to page 2 and look at them in reverse order to the first pic.

A curved hatch would make it look better, true and I probably will on #2. Getting it dust tight was a challenge but I have worked it out and it is now pretty good. Have never had water get in, or mice. It can be done. Don't expect protection from sun/rain but I like to camp where there are no tables so this has really worked well for me. For me the trade off was worth it. Hatch is also much much lighter.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby John T. Hodgen » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 am

Hey Moparczy,
I don't why my previous post didn't show my photobucket link to my build/camping photos but maybe this time! http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/panheadjohn60/ I used a system kinda of like Bobhenry's. My dual doors swing out with tabletops that swing up and are braced with little ladder racks that the tables hold against the door for traveling. The ladders also make a great place to hang dishrags. This doesn't put alot of stress on the hinges. My hatch door goes over the doors about 1&1/2 in. I also have a pull out table under the main counter top for added space/cutting table. My other half loves this setup and since she does all the cooking while camping it's her galley anyway. I do my cooking at home but she does LET me make coffee in the mornings to bring her a cup in the cabin. ;) Yea, we're both spoiled.
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby MoparCzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Thanks to everyone. Many great ideas and suggestions, so I will just have to get the Road Runner running then save the money for the frame and wood. I will keep everyone posted and fill an album with pictures as we go.
MoparCzy
Teardrop Builder

Postby John T. Hodgen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 am

Hey Moparczy,
I started with a TSC no-floor trailer(then $299-now $349) and $300 in ply/wood. After 40 trips to the box store as the money and process got more underway I ended up spending only $1900 for the teardrop and accessories over a 4 month build period--not a bad deal for all that I got and the joy of showing it off and camping with all my new friends. I can jack the t/d out of the frame and use the trailer for hauling other things if I need to--the in floor storage boxes hold the camper in the frame and I have 3/4 in. recycle tire edging for flowerbeds which helps cushion the body. I had no plans--just ideas from other t/d's and it kind of evolved.
Till later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Re: Advice on an idea

Postby MoparCzy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:31 pm

Just wondering when going with a torsion axle, if I am planning on running 23" tires would I use a 10 degree up starting angle to get the floor about 12" from the ground or do I need to go with a different start angle?
MoparCzy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:01 pm

I gave up trying to figure that out. Also can not settle on what height I want so I got the adjustable Flexride axles. I do not have that trailer finished yet.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby MoparCzy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:49 am

Finally got the trailer started. Couple of weekends ago my friend helped weld up the frame.
MoparCzy
Teardrop Builder

Postby bc toys » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:05 am

have to say that is the longest planning stage I've seen 5 yrs glad you stuck with us and now you can get started making saw dust
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals