Percolator Type Coffee Pot

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:38 pm

Take one of those little Revere Ware kettles with the lids that you can buy at the Salvation Army for a buck. Fill it up with water (it will hold three big mugsfulls). When the water boils, lift off the lid and turn off the heat. When the boil settles down (maybe less than a minute), then throw in a big heaping tablespoon of coffee for every mugfull of water you are heating. Throw in another big old heaping tablespoon, what the heck. Put the lid back on and let this mess sit for five full minutes. No peeking now. After five minutes, strain the coffee from the little kettle into your mug using a fine mesh strainer that you always keep in your kitchen utensil drawer. Let the rest sit there in the kettle, it won't hurt a thing.

Pour some half-and-half from your cooler into the coffee until it's a delicious creamy brown. Drink this heaven, thanking God for inventing coffee for us caffiene addicts to enjoy. When you get down to the murky layer, then you're done with that mug. This stuff is greasy, murky, and delicious. It probably is bad for your heart, but what a way to go. And you don't need any special extra equipment. :yes:

Postby cracker39 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:53 pm

Haven't you heard the latest "scientific developments" in health studies? Now, they say coffee is good for you and you shoule drink at least 16 oz. per day. BRING IT ON!!!
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby TomS » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:00 am

cracker39 wrote:Haven't you heard the latest "scientific developments" in health studies? Now, they say coffee is good for you and you shoule drink at least 16 oz. per day. BRING IT ON!!!

Wohooo!!!! I'm going to live to be 100! :thumbsup:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Keeping the grounds where they belong

Postby february1966 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:50 am

I saw a good variation on the filter method.

Instead of putting the filter in the "basket" before the grounds... put the filter in upside down over the grounds. the explianation was that grounds usually get into the coffee because the boiling water pushes them up and out of the "basket". puting the filter on top traps the grounds even when the water boils.

I've tried this and it seems to work .. but I put a filter on the bottom and the top... just to be sure.

Now understand I only do this for the company and guests.... when its just me ... I just chew on the grounds for awhile so nothing goes to waste and save the cream and sugar for baking...

:thumbsup:
5 kids & dog!! Teardrop or padded cell?
february1966
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:21 am

grounds usually get into the coffee because the boiling water pushes them up and out of the "basket".

february1966,

I really believe you have something there because even with my method with the filter and larger holes, if I let the water perk/boil too fast, I still get grounds in the coffee. I know, it's not a big deal to most folks and some even like the grounds in there, but I'm not one of them.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby twc3 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:15 am

I percolate my coffee every morning. Yes if you are not watching your “JOE” close and don’t get the percolation just right you will have more grounds than you desire.

The 12V makers just are way to slow and bulky so I take use the same percolator camping that I use everyday.

TC
twc3
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Christine » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:44 pm

Perc, Filter or french press are only as fine as the coffee used. You are treating yourself to a relaxing camping time, treat yourself to the best coffee beans and have it ground to the specific brewing method. It will taste so good even the few grounds will be good.
I use an 11 yr old cheap cheap perc, great coffee, when it starts to perc I turn it down, watch the colour of the coffee in the bubble. I turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes before pouring. I always remove the basket of grinds so our second cup of coffee is as good as the first and a slight rewarming doesn't effect taste.
I am a BIG coffee drinker. I like it black and hot.
Christine
Christine
Teardrop Builder

Postby Green Hornet » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:44 pm

I love my coffee!!!!!
What I like to do is buy green,un-roasted beans, off the internet. I like Kenya AA and Kona best. The Kenya is dark and robust, almost chocolaty. The Kona is much lighter. Over the cookstove pour in a cup or so in a dry fry pan and stir em around over medium high heat. They turn to a peanut color then dark brown, they make a cracking sound like popcorn and lose the paper skin called chaff.Keep stirring, then a second crack begins and the beans smoke a little and turn a beautiful oily color. They are almost done! Takes only about 15 minites, total. When you have the roast you want take them off the heat and let em cool for a couple hours. Put enough for a pot in yer grinder. I use an EBay special Zassenhaus hand grinder and put them in the french press add almost boiling water and walla! THE bestest coffee you ever had!
Fresh roasting is easy and fun the green beans last forever. The roasted ones don't do only enough for a few days.
There are fancier ways of doing it,but this is the funnest to do while camping. People will come on over when they smell the roasting coffee, make plenty!
Save a cup for yer ol pal GH :thumbsup:
Green Hornet
Teardrop Master

Postby BufordT » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:28 am

cracker39 wrote:Haven't you heard the latest "scientific developments" in health studies? Now, they say coffee is good for you and you shoule drink at least 16 oz. per day. BRING IT ON!!!

That's this year. Next year there will be some problem.

That's the problem I have with these so called experts. Have them at every jury .

One says one thing. They get another one that says something else.

Funny how even the experts can't agree.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby BrianB » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:24 am

I'm a fan of the espresso pots they use over here. They're like percolators, but the water's sent directly through the grounds and manage to stay in their basket. The 12 cup ones they make would be good for a camping trip and I'm willing to bet they'd work well with normal American coffee.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby BobR » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:02 am

I have used these for years in my percolator...

http://fantes.com/coffee_filters.htm#paper
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 am

Keep it simple, drink Coke. All the caffiene without the burnt tongue and that nasty smell in the house!! No extra equipment, boiling, straining or waiting for it to get done!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:51 pm

BobR wrote:I have used these for years in my percolator...

http://fantes.com/coffee_filters.htm#paper

Bob,

Those filters look like the answer for me. I've not seen them in the stores here. Where did you get them?
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kajamelu4 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Hey Nitetimes.... I'm with you on the Coke. The best drink on earth is a can of Coca-Cola thats been in an ice chest, poured over crushed ice, in a styrafoam cup. MMMMMMM!

(I do however, love the smell of coffee. It's the taste that is YUCK!)

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:40 pm

I'm a Coke fan too, I prefer fountain to bottles/cans. I also want to try some Dr Pepper from the Waco bottling plant. It is supposed to taste differently because they use Cane Sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Camping Secrets